Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dividing the communication channel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now the communication channel is rather disorganised. Dividing it into areas dedicated to different parts of Sirius in a similar fashion as the factions sub forum is divided may help one find the random transmission that concerns him/her. The need for bumping threads would probably drop. There could also be a Sirius-wide or inter-house transmission hub for all those who want their oh-so-mighty terrorist/pirate faction to spread its propaganda. The only drawback I can see is that perhaps that you couldn't be sure where the person that want's to contact you will post.

So, what do you people think?
I think it'd make it too complicated. With factions section, you're looking for information. For comm channel, you're either trying to contact someone, or someone is trying to contact you, which means increasing the amount of places you need to check everyday only makes it harder. It's easier to just read the 1st and 2nd pages of comm channel everyday.
I use search. Helps a lot. Try it.
I think it would be a nice idea, the communication channel is somehow messy because in some day there are like 10 posts/minute thing that make it hard to find anything directed to you, since people only check the first two pages...

Maybe make every faction have it's own communication channel, where all the communications related to that faction should go, and the faction will reply in the same thread? but that will go messy and hard to track

or give the official fctions a sub forum where topics related to them should be placed?

dunno... everything I think off is countered by my own thoughts.. because sometime a comm link is made towards more than one party, and sometimes the parties are from different kind of groups EX: A comm from someone to Blood Dragons and Liberty Rogues...

Maybe a forum chat? that way we can see people online and give them a pm with the link to the person we direct the comlink?

How about an IRC chat? If disco hosts an IRC we can have Rooms with zones and stuff... or let us make a skype database and add all the people:D
Simple solutions to simple problem:

Faction uses search to find any thread in Comm forum mentioning its name.
Faction creates a thread in their faction subforum in which unaswered comm threads can be linked by others.

I still don't see why there needs to be more complex forum layout, when the problem is not a problem, but alleged inconvenience to minority of members.
A way more simple idea is to make each faction to have 1 topic for such kind of contacting them in their own forum section- like the Line Hackers- it makes lifes of everyone involved easy.
Its easier to just stick you char names or ship names in the search box and wait for the results. If someone trying to message you is worth responding to they're usually going to spell it right.

Plus you could say that even an IRL comparison, if you get someones phone number or email adress wrong by 1 number or 1 letter, they don't get it. So argueably the same applies here.
Forgot to before, moved to Site & Board Feedback.
Thing is, people who want to send a transmission should send a PM towards that person (if known). Would make it way easier than the idea of spliting things up.
Although, it could be possible if there would be a board option " notify on following words " IE: To: Liberty Navy [LN], that user that ticked the box for notification and added words like "Liberty Navy, Navy, LN, will get a PM about "Hey the following words you requested to look after have been detected". Of course it should only work with new made posts and not old ones or else the person who adds a lot of names will get a HUGE spam to his inbox.
the problem for me, is not the fact that I try to find post directed to me, i can deal with that even though some might be directed to me but it might have nothing that will end up in my search for example a post directed to one of the bases we own...

plus, some of us have more chars, in more factions... so that sucks to search all your chars for possible incoming transmissions... the real problem for me are the lazy guys i send a comm to and they only check page one so have to spawn lame signal boosts...