Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Getting a new computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been saving for quite a while now and soon I'll have enough money to finally leave this hell. No, not discovery... the seat in front of this crappy computer.

Can anyone link/suggest good laptops and desktops for me to peruse? Custom-built/parts desktops should be okay, as long as my friend can put it together properly.
I'll currently have around 1000AUD to spend, which is... 931.601USD or 607 Euros according to some currency converter. I can get more, however.

I'm attracted to laptops, as taking one around to friends' houses is practical, and it can be used away from this small desk.
However, Desktops would usually provide better performance for a lower price.

What i'll use it for:
-Freelancer
-Modding (very limited at this stage, i'm a noob at it)
-storing pictures/screenshots/movies
-occasional new games or old classics (so it should have enough specs to run games with good performance)

About desktop cooling: it's often around 30C here, so this current computer gets very hot and bothered (the fan gets SO loud). Desktop suggestions should include cooling options.
Well. If you go to laptops then keep you eyes peeled for offers whereever you happen to live in.

Couple of pointers. A dedicated video card should be in it with it's own RAM. Not those shared RAM things. Get 2GB RAM version and a dual core.

It's pretty much the norm that laptops sold now have
Vista Home Prem
2GB RAM
Dual Core.
Video card (there are both shared and dedicated memory models out there so be sharp)

Google about the laptop video cards reviews to see the pecking order.

But be forewarned. Those laptops can get very hot during extensive gaming sessions.

But if you decide to go desktop then let me know. I can help you out there.
Personally I'd shoot for a desktop, since they are easier and cheaper to upgrade. But I cannot deny the fun of a portable laptop, small and easy to carry, but the battery would really annoy me.

I'd gun for a desktop purely because they are cheaper to upgrade and less hassle.