Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New laptop!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, today I bought a new laptop, it'll arrive here on Thursday or so.

It's pretty dang sweet, 2 gigs of Ram, vista.. (i'll probably downgrade (or upgrade:P) to xp though) and cool stuff like that.

I should be able to play FL on it, (finally), so I should have more time!!

I'm pretty excited!

Oh, its a Compaq Presario F730US, and don't tell me the downsides of it.. I already know:P To me, its way better then any computer in the house, so I love it! And it was a good deal! Pretty good for my age anyway, and for getting it by doing a paper route, I feel more like I earned it instead of my parents buying one for me...

The NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 is the graphics card, can anybody tell me if it's any good? I did some research, but I'm not so good at telling a good from bad card by its stats. I should hope it'll be able to run FL. I assume so since it runs Vista.

I can't wait till it gets here, it'll be the longest week of my life..

I'll start seeing you guys on FL a lot more once I get it!
Another thought crossed my mind just now, I was always thinking I was going to switch to xp instead of Vista to jump up the performance a bit, but I thought I may as well ask, do you think that's wise?

Downgrading from Vista to XP? WIth 2 gigs of ram. 1.8ghz processor.

Smart choice?

EDIT: Oops.. I should have edited the first post. Crap.. *smacks head*
Hola Amigo, Luis here Yeah Xp is alot better, i would downgrade, considering if something goes wrong with Vista it trys repairing it itself and doesnt work well and Xp has all the usual comand lists etc that vista has, You should be able to run FL Very well on it considering that gForce is a pretty good one, and the 2gb of ram will also support the gameplay and the vissual effects, so yeah it should be fine. cya soon amigo!
The Go 6150 is essentially a stripped down 6200. (Meaning it's smallerified to fit in a lappy, also a little bit slower)

This will run FL no problems, and IMHO, Compaq rules.
Unless it actually won't run a piece of software you're desperate to run I'd leave it with Vista.

The drivers are already improving and FL will run on it without too many hassles right now.

Jose
I have a 6150LE in my dads media center.
Its a decent card for playing last years games.

F.E.A.R ran on low/medium smoothly at 30fps
C&C3 Demo ran smothly at low/med
HomeWorld 2: Ran smoothly at MAX everything
NFS: Carbon ran good at medium

Its a decent card. But it works for the older games.
For newer games. Some 14" laptops here in Canada have the 7150LE Mobile Chipsets.

Yeh that'll run FL just fine believe me. But get XP on it, vista is rubbish.
Vista is good if you have good specs
With XP, you'll free up alot of system resources. More preformance
Suggestion, keep vista for a bit, if you don't like it. Switch, but i have had it for over a year now, No problems so far. From my experience vista is certainly not "rubbish", been running every program i put on there so far, along with every game i have.

2gb of ram is good for vista, i currently have 1.5gb and have no troubles. Is the processor a dual core? And the graphics card is okay.. depending on what games you are playing, freelancer will run fine. Newer games you might be able to run at med/low settings with the ram you have ( and if the processor is dual core) will help quite a bit

With sp1 released, vista is a lot better when it comes to performance, i got about a 10-20% increase in performance. Vista is just like a new computer game, you need a good computer to run it. You should run it fine.

So yea, try it for a month or two, if you don't like it, go to XP.
' Wrote:Suggestion, keep vista for a bit, if you don't like it. Switch, but i have had it for over a year now, No problems so far. From my experience vista is certainly not "rubbish", been running every program i put on there so far, along with every game i have.

2gb of ram is good for vista, i currently have 1.5gb and have no troubles. Is the processor a dual core? And the graphics card is okay.. depending on what games you are playing, freelancer will run fine. Newer games you might be able to run at med/low settings with the ram you have ( and if the processor is dual core) will help quite a bit

With sp1 released, vista is a lot better when it comes to performance, i got about a 10-20% increase in performance. Vista is just like a new computer game, you need a good computer to run it. You should run it fine.
So yea, try it for a month or two, if you don't like it, go to XP.

Thats what I've been hearing more and more from different people on RL. I think I'll take your advice and try it for a bit. Here is the processor info:

Processor:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 / 1.8 GHz

Multi-Core processor technology: Dual-Core

64-bit processor: Yes

Chipset type: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
---

So yeah, it looks like a duel core.
Pages: 1 2