Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need info for Charlotte NC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,
My family and I are going to scout out Charlotte NC this weekend for a potential move there.
I have been offered a disgustingly decent job there, but I would need to start in a couple weeks, if I take it.

We're trying to get a grip on good schools, neighborhoods, and things we should see on a 1.5 day tour.
This will help us make a final decision about the job/move, and give us an idea of where to (and not to) look for housing.

I have been there a couple times, and like the Lake Norman area, as well as Lake Wylie.

I would be working Uptown at One Wells Fargo Center, but can tolerate a 30-45min commute if the area is nice enough, or has a dock in back!
We'd like to live lakeside if possible, but we're not opposed to living urban there either, it seems a very clean and safe city, all things considered.

How's Mountain Island?
Mt. Holly?
Matthews?
Myers Park?
Uptown?

Where should we NOT lookve?
Where's the crime?

We won't be using any of the (mostly failing) for-profit schools, so we're looking for good public, magnet, or charter schools (not that that's an improvement per se, but it's a known evil) with current emphasis on K-5.
I have heard that the Charlotte public International Baccalaureate program is the best in the nation, but I'm not sure what (if any) schools offer it for lower grade levels.

ANY input would be vastly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Finn

Might could be we even hook up for a beer or three Saturday evening!
Durhamite here.

Charlotte is a nice place. Only driven through there a couple times, but when I was there, the roads were pretty nice. Crime in North Carolina is pretty low, save for downtown Durham, so you don't really need to worry about that.

Not really familiar with the schools there, but as long as you do a little looking, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I know you've discarded for-profit schools, but if there's any way for you to change your mind, I recommend a Montessori-style school. I went to one for kindergarten through 8th grade, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The only downside is that many Montessori schools are small, and have a tight-knit community, so I know it was a shock for me going from a class size of ~30 to a school of over 2000. (Riverside High School.)

All in all, there are very few bad places in North Carolina to live, so I'm sure you'll find somewhere nice. A couple Google searches should help you answer your questions.

<3

Oh, and ask Tanker about NC. I think he's in Greensboro right now. He probably knows more about Charlotte than I do.
If your Going down to that area id suggest avoiding Charlotte but go slight away from it a little town called Monroe very nice place