Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: would it help anything to only retexture the bad ships
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking at the bad models again, the list everybody knows and somebody posts about every few weeks

Would it help anything if they were just retextured instead of completely remodelled? EG, would the x-shuttle look alright if it just had the ~zoner texture applied?

Seems that texturing is a lot simlper than modeling so maybe we could rope some people into that easier
The X Shuttle is an import so it needs to go regardless.
Things that are badly done but not imports (like everything Xing did ever) can be retextured assuming the mesh itself isn't terrible.
Virage and Havoc, for example, need to go because they just suck all around.

This reminds me, I need to finish retexturing that Upholder (granted it's mesh is terrible too, but I've mostly fixed that).
True, imports were priority number one, though almost no one wants to make replacements for those.
I have been impressed by seeing how year in year those imports were ignored unlike popular and closed factions ships models.
Also, where all the modellers gone? Where is the model dev lead? Why there is no one who checks ship submission thread for possible models? Why there is never a word of dev on ship we do and why those topics are most of the time get forgotten by everyone? Why can't we be sure at least at 50% that our effort won't be simply ignored? Why there is no encouragement? And why we have such ships as Arrastra, which seems to be done in hurry and definitely lacks proper quality level, are being approved without a community's word?
Please, for the love of all stuff everywhere, re model the falcata (Border World Bomber), so it resembles a sabre or stilletto instead of a nom ship! Although yeah there quite a few ships which I think a retexture wouldn't go astray, but kinda off topic, whats wrong with the Upholder? Stat wise it may be meh but I think it looks pretty good actually.
Everytime someone made a replacement for these models, the community couldn't decide whether they like it or not. Eventually they faded without a decision being made.
The reason most modelers are gone is that now they'd have to create LOD's for their models, which, besides being a very good optimization tool, are a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned.
The Arrastra, along with every other mining line model were rushed because the previous models were lost. It's the best that could of been done in the short time they had left.
The Upholder has a bad texture job and lacks detail. The Outcasts will receive a new shipline in the next mod update, at which point I think the Falcata will be removed.

Simply retexturing the sucky models is not a solution, they need to be re-made entirely.
' Wrote:Please, for the love of all stuff everywhere, re model the falcata (Border World Bomber), so it resembles a sabre or stilletto instead of a nom ship! Although yeah there quite a few ships which I think a retexture wouldn't go astray, but kinda off topic, whats wrong with the Upholder? Stat wise it may be meh but I think it looks pretty good actually.

The Falcata is an Outcast ship. For the BW bombers, see the Cutlass or Broadsword.

On topic: the previous model lead, Aeternus Doleo, is on a leave of undefined length from the Dev team. As far as I know, no one has yet taken his place.
' Wrote:True, imports were priority number one, though almost no one wants to make replacements for those.
I have been impressed by seeing how year in year those imports were ignored unlike popular and closed factions ships models.
Also, where all the modellers gone? Where is the model dev lead? Why there is no one who checks ship submission thread for possible models? Why there is never a word of dev on ship we do and why those topics are most of the time get forgotten by everyone? Why can't we be sure at least at 50% that our effort won't be simply ignored? Why there is no encouragement? And why we have such ships as Arrastra, which seems to be done in hurry and definitely lacks proper quality level, are being approved without a community's word?

what is wrong with the arrastra mining ship? I thought it was great. it matches the infocard perfectly and looks like a mining ship. I honestly don't think there is anything at all wrong with it. It is not a super sleek mining fighter, it's a years old, borderline robot, asteroid mining tech.

only thing about it that bothers me is the location of the cockpit

it's not clear
Quote: LOD's for their models, which, besides
being a very good optimization tool,
are a pain in the ass as far as I'm
concerned.

Not at all.
I've made some tips and ready to help with this if ones would need.
' Wrote:what is wrong with the arrastra mining ship? I thought it was great. it matches the infocard perfectly and looks like a mining ship. I honestly don't think there is anything at all wrong with it. It is not a super sleek mining fighter, it's a years old, borderline robot, asteroid mining tech.

only thing about it that bothers me is the location of the cockpit

it's not clear

Firstly, it is low-quality model, like many many others out there...Secondly - it was submitted without community's approval, which makes personally me a bit upset. It is all unfair to model developers, who work according to the community's oppinion.