Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Docking with stations tweak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, let me introduce the idea I'v recently was walking around. After placing some thoughts in it I found it to be very nice and exciting and also will fix some core problems we currently have.

The idea is to tweak the docking stuff of stations so big ships like huge transports, liners, big caps, etc can only dock with stations like shipyards and planet (mooring fixture).

So here are examples.

Big transport (5000 cargo) or barge will not be able to unload itself on the small stations that can't take ships of it's size. 1-2 freighters will be required to unload cargo.

So I see some pros and cons here.

+

More RP for traders and powertraders will be forced to use the chat, also low level players will be able to RP as unloading crew to help those for $$.

No more retarded **** like BS docking on BS and so.

Inspires people to play on smaller ships.

Inspire community to submit more small transport and freighter models, maybe even small liners (freighter class) models instead of vomiting out huger and huger elefants.

Generally more things to do.

-

People will whine, but we got used to it, aren't we?

GBs should be moved to freighter class so they can dock to smaller stations too.

Alot of work to tweak prices and sell locations to fit the new system. (Xoria's head will expload again if he\she still around of cause)

Changes, that's what's up

Discuss.
altough i can see the down side of these kind of things it would be more RP if it would change like that.

so altough i dont like the plan, i still would like to see it ingame.

i think it would create more ways to rp, faction wise and as an indie.

A faction member like an ageira barge could be going to detroit munitions wich request a couple of small vesels like the http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Camara vesel. ofcourse an indie player could ask/ provide the same services for the barge to help it unload.

so concluding , Yes go for it.

My toughts about this mather.
Granted it makes not sense that a Battleship can be safe while docked at another Battleship, it also makes no sense that a Battleship cannot dock with another battleship at all.

This idea trades one suspense of disbelief for another, and thus I find it rather pointless, given it only makes gameplay more difficult.

It's not going to add to the fun of playing (if anything it will detract from it), so it's an all around no from me.
' Wrote:it also makes no sense that a Battleship cannot dock with another battleship at all.

That's right but that also mean battleship\bigship\whatever should be left outside of the object that can't take it inside. Currently that's impossible to achieve. So we'll be talking about things that are possible in the particular game we're talking about. (read Freelancer Discovery 24\7 Main Server)

Also gameplay is easy enough now anyway. For traders and for all the others. If people can't take a little danger not being able to dock at nearest space tin can with a flying town in the game where you loose around little to nothing from death then it's kinda not game's problem. However I belive there are still people who would like to have their life little bit intesting and complicated in the same time.
Well technically they aren't actually docking inside the station I thought? With planets it's obvious, but in vanilla the bases told NPCs to go to "Moor N", so there are already shuttles that take things from the surface to your transport/capital ship still moored in orbit and docking tubes for crew/cargo on stations.

I agree that even mooring several battleships onto the one battleship of the same size is rather silly, but I think it's too much hassle for not much in the way of roleplay - just pointless 'realism'.
' Wrote:Well technically they aren't actually docking inside the station I thought? With planets it's obvious, but in vanilla the bases told NPCs to go to "Moor N", so there are already shuttles that take things from the surface to your transport/capital ship still moored in orbit and docking tubes for crew/cargo on stations.

I agree that even mooring several battleships onto the one battleship of the same size is rather silly, but I think it's too much hassle for not much in the way of roleplay - just pointless 'realism'.

I was not talking about Planets that got a mooring fixtures for real. Ye, transports of big size must be able to dock at them. However little stations with tiny docking bays must be shuted down to the huge buggers that are trying to ram itself inside. :cool:
No one else is saying it, so I will: Stop trying to ruin our game.
Well, that server was not intended to be easy to play at beggining so I don't see big issues with having some fun and heat.

Space is dangerous ™
The fact of the matter is, these big ships can moor at any station they choose, that's why there's mooring points on every station.
The fact that Freelancer was never built to allow these ships to chill outside in the game world while their owner handled business on-base is not a reason to go complicating matters for the apparent purpose of just making it harder for people.

The realism to fun ratio is way off here.
Also, considering the advantages from your viewpoint - danger and more RP. What's stopping you from RPing this way?
If casual traders and people who don't have all day to have freighters empty their Barge for them want to dock on the stations, you can pretend there are automated systems for cargo transfer or somesuch involved. In the meantime, you can RP someone who's ignorant or spiteful of these technologies and will only use the regular docking ports with small ships.
Pages: 1 2 3 4