Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery at Sea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now then, after one too many coronas and something I think involved brief possession by a fox, I had an interesting dream which grew into a fairly simple if profound idea. Bear with me here...

What if, instead of in Outer Space, Discovery was set on the high seas.

Either on (possibly flooded) Earth or some Parallel universe version of earth with different countries and geography but the same relative (or identical) technology, A'la Ace Combat.

In this environment, rough equivalents of the factions and houses we know and love would exist, each with their own navies, coast guards instead of police forces, and of course, plenty of pirates. Only here, the Pirates would actually talk the part, sail in tall ships, and actually fire cannon broadsides at their victims.

If you think about it, alot of the existing Discover factions could be extrapolated to sea quite quickly.
  • Fighters and Bombers would be replaced by various Helicopters and Fixed Wing aircraft, and would take off from Land Bases or Player Aircraft Carriers.
  • Polices would become Coast Guards and get Patrol Cutters and Icebreakers (where applicable).
  • Freighters would become Cargo Planes and Transports would become Cargo Ships, possibly full of containers (depending on whatever timeframe this gets set in).
  • Junkers would be Maritime Salvagers (and possibly Canadian) who sell loot to pirates.
  • Bounty Hunters would become lawful Privateers who capture prize bounties.
  • The GMG would have Oil Rigs instead of Gas Miners.
  • The Farmers Alliance and LWB would be Fishermen instead of Farmers.
  • In that regard, Mining would mostly be replaced by Fishing. With Gold/Platinum/Niobium being replaced by Cod/Tuna/Perch respectively (Mine for Fish).
  • Nomads would become Deep Ones.
  • The RM would have U-Boats.
  • Xenos would become Confederate Commerce Raiders
  • AEGIS cruisers would need to be Admin Only since they'd be too OP. :sleep:
That being said, I think we have a valid discussion here (Discussion. Don't spam it to flood). Think of the possibilities.
Find a game and start modding.
Or if you're nuts, make your own game.
Seems like it'd be fun, really.
Restricting certain ships to 2 dimensional movement and giving others 3 dimensional movement above the plane of the ocean surface would probably be beyond modding capabilities without freelancer source code.

However, it could possibly be done as an all-underwater submarine mod.
Would potentially be neat. But there are some corps that wouldn't transition as easily.
' Wrote:However, it could possibly be done as an all-underwater submarine mod.

It must be done.
' Wrote:Restricting certain ships to 2 dimensional movement and giving others 3 dimensional movement above the plane of the ocean surface would probably be beyond modding capabilities without freelancer source code.

However, it could possibly be done as an all-underwater submarine mod.

That would be soooo good!
If we DID ever do something like this we wouldn't do it in the Freelancer engine. We can find something much more modern and efficient so we can have all of the above.

Quote:Would potentially be neat. But there are some corps that wouldn't transition as easily.

Ageria would build ships and whatnot.
Interspace would insure everything/be corrupt and all.
Universal would ship stuff.
DSE would also build stuff.
Synth would make food out if bio-engineered kelp
Cryer would make pills out of the same kelp
Spa and Cruise would run cruise ships
BMM would do undersea mining/oil rigs
Bowex would also ship stuff
Gateway would also ship stuff
Planetform would build a crapload of Tetrapods
Kishiro would build high-tech maritime technologies
Samura would build not-so-high-tech maritime technologies
ALG would clean up (or secretly maintain) the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Republican would also ship.
Daumann would Mine/Oilrigs
Kreuger would Oilrigs/Mine
GMS would refine metal
EFL would do waaaay more Oilrigs
IDF would ship
SE would build Solar Panels
IMG would become FMG
GMG would fight EFL over the remaining Oil Rigs.

Oilrigs will become the playerbases of the high seas.

UNLESS...

We decide to do it in Ye Olde Days such as the age of sail or 19th century (where we can have sail ships, steamships, and Ironclads all at once. They even had Submarines then.

This seems like a much better idea with a gratuitous application of alcahol.
The Phantoms would be red-flag pirates.:cool:

Edit: Red flags, sorry, I accidentally my history.
Pages: 1 2