Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: "Rule" 0.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well apart from the fact that it looks like some surprised smily face here are the arguments why:

1) It's not objective and loose for interpretation. Be excellent to one another says nothing it all depends on person's invaluation of what is excellent and what is not.

2) Because of the first point, it allows people who -feel- mistreated to fuel their bad feelings. For a such person 0.0 confirms that his "feeling" has actuall form in the server rules to make everything worse.

3) In some form it contradicts guidlines of server rules. For example terrorist ID's like xeno ones. Their roleplay is nothing nice to the trader in general because cought up trader has nothing else to do but to loose everything or loose everything. Most likely they are not going to chat or give a chance to run away either.

"Rule" 0.0 forms a collision between the actuall rules in effect and imaginary concept.

4) It gives additional material for players to flame other players for not acting how they imagine they should act. Having this 0.0 makes people to be more self-rightous about their position and to vicitmize themselves in the conflicts/disputes or similiar.

0.0 itself carries no meaning or purpose, it has no objectivity and therefor shouldn't be presented as a rule. I can see it as introduction to the server rules or as primary idea defining the goal of the actuall rules but nothing more beyond that. - if that's so, then this should be clearified in the rules page.

For now it looks like stupid attempt of though control.
Has some one hurt yuor feelings and gotten away with it?
YES ! That's why I'm making this thread to Q_Q.

Nope. I just spot stupid stuff and point it out then I see that it has a damaging effect. Can't you for a second assume that some people act beyond their personal interest for a change?

In some sense it is my personal interest.. because what effect community overall effects me. Not directly though, but still.
You do realise it's been said it's not an enforceable rule, right? It's supposed to represent the spirit of the rules and the community IIRC.

I mean, the fact that it's '0.0' should be enough of a hint...

The nearest thing to a 0.0 sanction would be a 1.2.
There is much more stupid stuff. Yet it still here and no-one wants to change it.
' Wrote:"Rule" 0.0 forms a collision between the actuall rules in effect and imaginary concept.

That's exactly the intention. Its like the Golden Rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's a moral framework, not something actually enforceable. If you don't believe that we should all ideally be excellent to one another...why are you here?
Imho, this is the "Everythingelse" rule of Disco. If someone does something retarded and none of the existing rules can cover the sanction, 0.0 is brought in.
' Wrote:You do realise it's been said it's not an enforceable rule, right? It's supposed to represent the spirit of the rules and the community IIRC.

So all I'm asking is to clearify that in the rules section. You don't need to school me on what preambule is, thank you.

' Wrote:That's exactly the intention. Its like the Golden Rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Because people have diffrent interests and diffrent tastes. And the majorwrong doings have have a finist list which can be written down and don't need some kind of concept wich would include everything. Even what you are thinking.
Whether its enforceable or not, it should set the tone for our interactions with each other. This isnt call of duty on xbox live, where you can cuss guys out if they shoot you. Its a competitive AND cooperative story telling and role playing game. It's also a community.

Getting rid of it just opens the door for people going "where does it say I HAVE to be nice to anyone? I don't"
' Wrote:Getting rid of it just opens the door for people going "where does it say I HAVE to be nice to anyone? I don't"

Define "being nice". I think ethics covers social nicety just perfectly. I or you or any other person can't be ordered to like someone in particular.
Pages: 1 2 3