Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why do people have/build bases?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I dont want you to say "go read the wiki" because I am not interested in
why I should go and build a base, I have two... I know why I have mine...

I just see so many people going, "I need a base!" these days and I sort of
wonder... why?

I have mine PURELY for RP purposes, I dont use them for building modules
at all and I certainly dont make a profit from having them...

*Edit- Ok I lied, I have a huge pile of guns on my station so it probably it also counts as a personal armour, although this could have been done with armoury chars...*

So, who else has a base/wants a base and why...
Sometimes for RP, (ore storage, trading, etc)

mostly for the new devices, however.

I bet if they were sold from guard bases for something ridiculous (1b, 500m... etc)

There would be far less player bases, and far less OORP player bases as well.
I will build one for Rp purpose. That's it.

If I need fancy device I know where to have some:)
Built my first base because Sirius needs more player freeports, then it blew up.
Built my second base because Sirius needs more player freeports.
Built my third base to test a certain faction's reaction time.
Built my fourth base to make docking modules.
Built my fifth base to make stuff and base out of.
Built my sixth base because having your own private/faction armory is extremely helpful.
Private bases are a great way to 'hold' cargo to faction members who are not online when you are.

For factions like Congress, where multiple other factions regularly ask for specific cargo runs, the player base is indispensable.

Also, keeping them stocked and defended adds a huge element that formerly was spent making the same runs over and over.

And over

And over

And over
My own intention and hope was to make a big fat juicy target so that the "badguys" can come at us. Not sure what the hopes and dreams my peers had. Well it hasn't happened yet, so the base instead has made many players become billionaires. It's something at least.
IF

If I could set different prices for sell/buy codes/equipment, and

IF

I could exclude unlawful pilots/ships from buying at my Shop, which are unlaful to Liberty, and

IF

If I could run a station, without much more effeort, than I already do onto Cody...

IF
IF
IF

To sum it up, it would be nice, to own a station. But seriously. Because pf my first point, stations are useless for me. Only different sel/buy prices would alllow a station, to make profit of it itself without being in space personally all the times.
Our station always breaks even, while the people using it gets rich rich rich. It's unfortunate it doesn't work how Cody would like it to, it's something I would like to see figured out.

the initial investment for the station's bank to begin it's cycle of profits for players required some donations from the leadership in proportion to it's cargo capacity and value.
Good and constant RP with the [LN]
Good RP with some trade factions (During construction)
Good RP with the BAF (During construction)
Cloaking available our ships
Docking modules available for our capitals
Improving the defence of Z-21, which defences were pitiful to begin with

I'd say it was worth it.
Me and my friend build clokes, docking modules and jump drives and put them on Xenos.
Pages: 1 2 3