Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: probing like eve
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I have been thinking, it is possible to make some form of rudimentary scanner/probing system like in Eve?

Som of the most fun I had in that game was hiding in systems, launching probes and scanning for unsuspecting ships on missions and steal their loot:D

Something like that (either a specific ship, some piece of expensive or player-built gear) with a simple interface (text like TLAGSNET would be just fine). It would make space a little more dangerous, and reward players/fleets "on the move" as it takes some time to line up the probes for triangulation and information can't be fed realtime if the target moves.

Here's a video explaining the probing in Eve - I don't expect something fancy-looking like that naturally.
Possible to be done since we `ve got /pos command.
So you want to be able to send out probes in-system to track down players? That would be an interesting mechanic for sure.
Intresting, but yet we already have something like that...TLAGSNET

Imo. But system wide probes? If such an mechanism is ever going to be created i think it can be real boring in Freelancer because FLHook doesn't give much opportunities.

Vex, the Trade Lane Network doesnt count since it only scans where theres a Trade Lane. I think he means a system that allows tracking to a area in systems like Tau-50 or in the Omicrons. This function can have iRP properties, such as scanning nebulas and such as science vessels. Just not another Star Trek thing though, a'right? Don't want people acting like Picard of the starship Enterprise.
While it's a really nice game mechanic (yes, I've played EVE and tried it myself), I don't think it really fits in with the Freelancer universe. The FLHook coding required would be particularly complicated and may cause unwanted server lag when implemented.

Such a complicated system would also be a bit of a waste in Freelancer, as in most systems, everything is placed on/around the system's plane, thus drawing all relevant action into a select region - not a wholly three-dimensional zone like in EVE.
Maybe you are right - a full text interface might also be confusing/close to impossible to use, so maybe it would be wasted work and nobody would use it when it comes down to that.
' Wrote:Tau-50

Need to know where the secret Tau 50 hole is 8|