Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: "Defense of Leeds"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
This proposal is primary for the devs but other oppinions are welcome as well. I would like to see their oppinion as lore builders and to say is this all possible? I am not asking for something too much. I am doing my best to save Leeds because I see we have a chance.

I've been thinking for this for a very long time but now when the defense of Leeds is in my hands I would like to propose my ideas about what the armed forces can do in order to prevent or slow down as much as possible the invaders from Gallia. This proposal contains a lot of lore history and is not very short. I did my best to explain every point by supporting it with reasonable information and benefits.

I. The Old Leeds:
[Image: Old_L.png]

Leeds system have received some minor changes in 4.86. Battleship York was moved near the Tau-31 gate and close to Glasgow Outpost. Battleship Derby was moved from planet Leeds at Edinburgh gate. Battleship Nagasaki - moved from Glasgow Outpost to Stokes. There are ofcourse some minor changes for Stokes and LD-14 stations - damaged modules.
From Lore point of view all this was great but the clock is ticking and the time is moving forward. Leeds system require more defenses in order to survive or slow down the Gallic invaders as much as possible. With the current system possibilities, thats not possible.

I. The New Leeds:
[Image: New_L.png]

As you can see from the image there are several new changes to the Leeds map. This defense plan will or may give some lore advantages to Bretonia as well as reducing the invasion of Gallia. This battle plan is to use as much military resources as possible without to sacrifice the defensive capabilities of the other systems in Bretonia's Sovereign.

Info: The Tau-31 gate is well reinforced by the York's fleet. In Tau-31 stays the Carcassonne GRN battlefleet. York can provide enough cover and if necessary be reinforced by the Nagasaki Ronin's fleet at Stokes. Still chances are not an option in this war and the Ronins are too few. Newcastle contains 4 battle fleets (Yamaguchi, ArkRoyal, MacDuff and Grimbsy) and are more than enough to provide defense from the Lone Carcassonne fleet and the few molly, and gaians around.
That is why my request is MacDuff's already small fleet, damaged during the retreat from Tau-31, to be moved at position 3 (from the map).
Position: from the map - 3
Benefits: MacDuff will provide cover in case GRN assault LD-14 which is currently not well protected but is of great importance to the armed forces. MacDuff will provide assistence if necessary to the York's fleet if GRN ever penetrate our North defenses. With the combined power of York, MacDuff and Nagasaki's fleets Bretonia have a chance to hold up the line on North.

Info: LD-14 is probably the most important station in Leeds, providing fuel for all armed forces vessels. So far its not well protected. The lone Ronin fleet is unable to fight a possible assault from Edinburgh Jum Hole. Now reinforced with Macduff, the Nagasaki can stand a chance against moderate fleet and in this way preventing the capture of the station. Still The jump hole remains unguarded.
That is why my request is a mine field similar to the one in Alaska, but far more smaller, to be created in the circle location from the map with small entrence for in/out actions.
Position: from the map -2
Benefits: GRN cant send a huge fleet from this jump hole due to the asteroid field. Still we cant underestimate a possible cruiser long range bombing as well as snubs in mass. With this mine field the chances for the snubs to survive in LORE would be diminished as well as forcing the cruisers and smaller ships to take significant damage. Blocking the jump hole is an option we must take for sure.

Info: Planet Leeds, maybe the only planet reinforced that much in whole Sirius lies unguarded. If this is our so called "fortress" Leeds then we better switch its affiliation to GRN soon. Sarcasm aside, here is what I propose.
A fortress to be build in front of planet Leeds. The station to be NPC, affiliated to the armed forces. The Design to be like this. The name to be Dymchurch Redoubt (which is historical and suitable name). Five weapon platforms (npc), similar to those inside Salisbury to be spawned around. Their locations can be seen from the map.
Position: from the map - 4
Benefits: A symbol of the neverending reinforcements brought to planet Leeds during the Kusari War and the Gallic Invasion. A station, fortress, which is to be the Leeds last man standing option and HQ of the Leeds Defensive Fleets. Station's primary duty would be to supply both Derby and York's fleet constantly with military munitions in order to increase their survivability and longevity.

Info: The Edinburgh gate is the most important point of defense. Its the only "easy" way for GRN to invade Leeds and as such it must be well defended. With the constant supplies from Dymchurch Redoubt the fleet can maintain its position for a longer ammount of time. Still we cant miss the fact of possible gallic swarm invasion with multiple ships/fleets, unable to be cast aside in time. We cant take such chances.
That is why my request is a medium mine field, similar to the one blocking the Edinburgh hole, to be placed at the circle location with entrence for in/out actions.
Position: from the map - 1
Benefits: The mine field to have an entrence, similar to field in NY guarding Alaska or the one in Orkney that GRN destroyed. That field will force the GRN incoming ships to be unable to maneuver freely and will reduce their chances to spread around and fight at the different sectors. The GRN ships will have no option but to fight the Derby fleet, which will have more chances if all enemies are coming from one single "tunel". If necessary the Derby can be reinforced by MacDuff's or Ronin's fleets. Without leaving the North unguarded.

Info: Dundee system is an empty world containing 1 armed forces's outpost, 1 molly base and 1 Stirling's Great Fleet. That fleet is doing nothing there but to protect a world already lost to us. Loosing any more ships there fighting for nothing would be in vain.
That is why my request is battleship Stirling to be returned at Leed's front where it may serve its purpose to both reinforce Derby or planet Leeds and increase our chances for success.
Position: from the map - 1 or 4
Benefits: With the combined powers from Derby, Stirling, York, MacDuff and Nagasaki's Fleets, Leeds have a chance to withstand a very long invasion (In worst scenario even reinforced by ArkRoyal's fleet). No matter how many the Gallics are if they keep falling its only a matter of time before they slow down significantly their invasion or even stop it for a time. Then we can rebuild our defenses and prepare for the next wave.

III. Cosmetic Changes:

Info: Leeds was a battlefield since the Kusari War and now during the Gallic invasion. Still there are no "scars" to bring memories of these two great wars. The only small cosmetic changs were LD-14 and Stoke's modules which are damaged.
That is why my request is two different and small debris/scrap fields containing ship parts to be spawned at C5 and E5.
Position: from the map 5 and 6
Benefits: As cosmetic changes they would only bring memories in to the "atmosphere" of discovery. The field at C5 - should countain both Bretonian and Gallic ship parts, while the field in sector E5 - Bretonian and Kusari ship parts. Example for such bretonian parts can be taken from the Trafalgar Scrap Field where you cant miss the strange bretonian ship part with double engines. Something like that.

<div align="right]Thank you for reading this proposal.
I hope it wont vanish but will lead to changes.
To sum up my opinion, in order:

1. Great idea, to be honest I believe GRN is not aware of T-31 - Newcastle connection at all, so moving a reserve fleet would be a smart move.

2. Not really, while I can understand minefield, I can't understand one with alaska density aka impenetrable, make it similar to harris/Dublin minefields. Alaska-type minefield would be too annoying and bretonia shouldn't throw resouces like that, not to mention time required to set it up.

3. Same as above, not enough resouces, and Leeds is currently safe, all system entrances are blocked, and should one defense line begin to crumble, they would simply retreat in direction of the planet. Maybe a small supply depot, but not a full-blown military outpost, not enough time/resouces, unless you plan to retcon it to make the construction start prior to gallic invasion.

4. Same as 2.

And about small scrap fields, sure, why not, would add to immersion for sure.
I definitly support this idea - Leeds is a warzone for years now - apart of stationed moved with the new latest mod we didn't notice any change in it - and of course BAF is fortifying now to defend it from the GRN hands - Tau 31 and Edinburgh were taken by suprise but Leeds is a breaking point in GRN way to other sectors such as Liberty and Rheinland and Omegas. I say the changes should indicate Bretonian moves in this particular system. If it's the breaking point - let's make it look like one.
Changes like these could only be practically Implemented in .87, and I believe that has different plans for the status quo in Leeds. I mean, Leeds is the most freaking stagnant battlefield on the server.

Dymchurch is already possible without dev intervention, although I'd strongly recommend picking another name - wrong geographic area entirely, for starters.

Edit: No mine fields around LD 14. Consider where the MOX comes from - the uranium field it's sat in. Cover the field in explosives and uranium can no longer be mined, ergo no more MOX. Counterproductive. I'll reply fully when I'm at home and not on a mobile.
You have my full support. This is amazing
' Wrote:1. Great idea, to be honest I believe GRN is not aware of T-31 - Newcastle connection at all, so moving a reserve fleet would be a smart move.

There are Gallic NPC's in Newcastle.
' Wrote:I mean, Leeds is the most freaking stagnant battlefield on the server.

Omega-5 would like to have a word with you.:crazy:

Quote:Dymchurch is already possible without dev intervention, although I'd strongly recommend picking another name - wrong geographic area entirely, for starters.

Well, British stronghold built to repel French invasion, fits, but geographical part... not sure if it fits, that's right.
I like this idea, could ask Bowex throw together a player base full of guns or two to help out as well
I like the idea of bringing MacDuff to Leeds, it's something that swirled around our minds for a long time.
The scrapfields are a really nice idea. Leeds is -the- major battlefield for a long time now and we really haven't seen much change.

Now to the things i kinda have my doubts about. The minefields are a good idea, however they require a lot of resources and time to be set up. At LD-14 i would set a really light one, maybe like the one Arranmore, preventing cruiser attacks IN LORE. It needs much less resources. Battleships already can't go through there because of the asteroids.

The Edinburgh gate would require a field like the zone-21 one which is kind of outta reach for Bretonia in this short amount of time. It's interesting but i don't think very reasonable.

A fortress in front of Leeds makes sense since Leeds planet has been reinforced since .85 and there's nothing to show that. However i find that a player base would be a better choice. It wouldn't require dev involvment and would probably bring more activity to Leeds because it's possible to destroy it. It would give GRN something to achieve other than fight in Leeds and hope for another step in lore.
I agree completely. This NEEDS to be done. Bretonia doesn't have much resources, yes. BUT, they need to use what ever resources they have left to reinforce Leeds. Its their last hope almost. If Leeds falls, the rest of Bretonia will as well. And considering the lack of allies with every other faction on the server, Liberty will be next! They are still throwing everything at Rheinland.

Lets think realistically. Bretonia has lost a lot. They don't have much to spare, but they will have to take chances, chances that will have consequence, but may work out for the better.
At this moment in time, Bretonia is fighting for its existance! Even if the rest of Bretonia falls, Leeds and what ever is left will still fight on!

Who cares if we die? WE WILL DIE FIGHTING! FOR BRETONIA! FOR QUEEN CARINA!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6