Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's the deal. The problem i have is this (google didnt give me a good answer so i decided to ressurect): my Laptop decided to go diving into a concrete which resulted in a broken LCD screen. Since im not yet ready to buy a new one i connected it with a VGA port to an external Screen and it worked.

Anyway the problem here is that i want to do a clean install of my Windows but as soon as i restart the PC my old broken LCD turns on and does not switch off until i get to startup. When i get there it shuts down and external screen turns on. Anyway i complicated it didnt i? :lol:. Lets make it simple...

Does anyone here know how to make my external screen primary so it boots up from the time i press the power button on my laptop so i can actually install something and go in bios. (please i dont want to open it and remove the LCD cable from my Graphic Card).

<div align="right]Thanking you in advance! :crazy:
not the answer you wanted, but a replacement second-hand laptop screen is VERY easy to install. ebay isyour friend here.

bear in mind that the striplight at the bottom of the screen might not have survived the swallow-dive into the concrete, and the second-hand screen's striplight might be old/worn out.

exchanging the striplights is easy, but making sure that you have the correct voltage/diameter/length is essential, cos else it won't switch on/will crack when you close the lid.
Your idea to take the cabel is not possible for 2 reasons- first there is no such cable, second the LCD is connected to the main-board via converter/inverter.

If BIOS supports it then you need to activate it blind.
Hm in general it is not possible if your BIOS does not support it.
Since I am 99% sure it does not support it if it is low tier laptop- you need to find the BIOS manual and do it blind.
Booting windows from liveCD or other similar shell app in order to prepare the field for installing new Windows.
I know it sounds hard but I bet a beer that this is the only solution for external screen.

In general I would sell the laptop if it is old as it is , if it is new for around 100-150 $/'‚¬( normal Laptop res) 200-300 $/'‚¬ (HD Res IPS screens etc) you could buy new LCD and replace it. Replacing is not hard- there are tons of online guides with steps that you just need to follow.
Important in the replacing process it to get screen with inverter or with converter your old screen works with one of both- so you need to find suitable screen replacement in order to safe another 30 $ /'‚¬ for inverter/converter and in order to fit the case because there is option that if you change the LCD system you might not have place for it or it wont align perfect on the edges of the screen holders. The prices of LCDs vary a lot and they are cheap mostly only in Asia and USA,when you buy from Europe you would need to pay customs tax because I also bet that it should be damn hard to find proper LCD replacement in Croatia if you are not extremely lucky. It would be good idea to give the exact model of your laptop, so I can try to give you solution.