Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: well more server feedback.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Have some things wich maybe.. can be changed or thought about for a good change for it.

sure one of you was maybe thinking of it. but the joining message keeps getting bigger. maybe the names of the admins (also with the new ones upcomming) should be more something like The admins are [Admin] tagged. Maybe some small rule for violation reports of such. its just an idea.

also forums:
As inRP forums are accessable by all. it is possible to make certain groups on the forum. Like a DSE, TAZ, IC (whatever) and give the certain subforums of these groups moderation access. (maybe 2 groups then 1 moderation and one normal member) so they have their (own) space. Also if you belong to another group and you want to make a post at a certain group forum. it should be hidden for public. BUT not for the group wich it posted (also doable by groups) or at least the person who posted a topic still can see his own post & replies and may be able to reply on it.

Why i think it would serve the community well? I guess its mostly because of the Metagaming. We all are aware of. In this case it would reduce this drasticly and maybe even boost RP on the server.

Note these are suggestions. For admins as well as players. Feel free to give your views about it.
' Wrote:the joining message keeps getting bigger. maybe the names of the admins (also with the new ones upcomming) should be more something like The admins are [Admin] tagged.
x2 on that ...

And make ships with the untagged names too, so they cannot be made by others. I once made a ship named Dieter without thinking about the admin's name, and I got spammed with admin requests until I changed it.

' Wrote:also forums:
As inRP forums are accessable by all. it is possible to make certain groups on the forum. Like a DSE, TAZ, IC (whatever) and give the certain subforums of these groups moderation access. (maybe 2 groups then 1 moderation and one normal member) so they have their (own) space. Also if you belong to another group and you want to make a post at a certain group forum. it should be hidden for public. BUT not for the group wich it posted (also doable by groups) or at least the person who posted a topic still can see his own post & replies and may be able to reply on it.

This is done on other servers' forums, and speaking from experience as an admin, this is a major pain in the butt for admins/moderators.
You have to go into each individual forum user's account and add/subtract permissions to individual threads/thread groups.
It also tags the users as being a 'member of' a faction, in order to view/post on certain faction threads.
-This would mean that everyone who has characters in more than one faction would need a forum account for EACH faction that they are a member of.

-Talk about an abject nightmare, from an admin standpoint, as well as the players!!

Also, there is nothing stopping factions from using one of the myriad free forum hosting options that are out there to make their own forums, and managing their own members, outside of the GC forums.
Much like The Junkers Congress private forums<---click me
There's PLENTY there that can't be seen by non-members, roughly 90% of the site, in fact.

Quote:Why i think it would serve the community well? I guess its mostly because of the Metagaming. We all are aware of. In this case it would reduce this drasticly and maybe even boost RP on the server.
I agree, but it is a necessary evil, and we've been dealing with it -without bleeding to death- for almost 6 years now.

I do like the join message idea, though.

P.S. I would just about KILL to see more [Admin] tagged ships in-game. it would make their job a million times easier, cause rather than spending hours reading through violation reports, they could access the FLstat/hook and deal with many (not all) of the problems, with immediacy.
' Wrote:This is done on other servers' forums, and speaking from experience as an admin, this is a major pain in the butt for admins/moderators.
You have to go into each individual forum user's account and add/subtract permissions to individual threads/thread groups.
The groups you could if i am correct assign an group admin. (Faction leader) Wich can add and invite new members. and or kick them from group (after rolecall is gone and they didn't respond) so they wont see the messages anymore wich they aren't any part of.

It may be much work at first but it will profit admins/moderators and even players on the long run.
Its a good point but you're asking people to be awfully honest....

You're forgetting people who might join a faction ONLY BECAUSE they are already in an opposing faction - in order to act as a spy or such.

What's to stop this from happening?

-

The 'section admin' (Faction leaders) would have to also be brutally and irrevocably honest themselves, otherwise they could affect other subordinate players' ability to view the forums - simply by changing permissions on someone they might be angry with at the moment.
I sure don't want some OTHER player to be able to define what I can and can't see on our forums.

The potential for abuse is as fluid and changing as are human emotions.

-

In the end, while its a fine suggestion, I don't think ANY admin is going to want to babysit that whole fiasco.

I suggest, if the potential for metagaming bugs you enough to go through the headache of managing user accounts, - go to one of the free forum hosting sites and design one for your faction and manage it yourself.

That way you're not asking an already overburdened admin/moderator staff to babysit yet another abusable function of the forums.
' Wrote:Its a good point but you're asking people to be awfully honest....

You're forgetting people who might join a faction ONLY BECAUSE they are already in an opposing faction - in order to act as a spy or such.

What's to stop this from happening?
Well if you are in a group. it would be possible for others to see you are in it. So you can see if someone would be in the opposite one.

' Wrote:The 'section admin' (Faction leaders) would have to also be brutally and irrevocably honest themselves, otherwise they could affect other subordinate players' ability to view the forums - simply by changing permissions on someone they might be angry with at the moment.
I sure don't want some OTHER player to be able to define what I can and can't see on our forums.

The potential for abuse is as fluid and changing as are human emotions.

Shamefully its true. You would need an honest Group admin for that specific forum. And its not allways that easy. but sure there are enough who want to take it on them. and RP for him/her faction as leader.

' Wrote:I suggest, if the potential for metagaming bugs you enough to go through the headache of managing user accounts, - go to one of the free forum hosting sites and design one for your faction and manage it yourself.

That way you're not asking an already overburdened admin/moderator staff to babysit yet another abusable function of the forums.
well managing accounts won't be the issue as you only let it join a group. like for you apply for a newsletter group. its more or less the same. Only now you add it for like samura to the samura forums. and ONLY that forums not somewhere else. this the same with each faction. So admins doesn't need to babysit :cool:But its true the more power the more people can/may abuse it.