Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Math problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, I have a curiosity regarding something and it all comes down to a basic problem of geometry (and trigonometry). I finished my studies 4 years ago and since then I never touched math problems because I simply <strike>don't like</strike> hate it.

I think it's a simple problem but there's something that I miss and I simply can't do it. So:

You have a triangle. One angle is 90°, another one is 55° (so the remaining one should be 35°, right?). You know one of the cathetus being 10 cm and you need to find the hypotenuse.
easy.

Let's call the cathetus a and the hypotenuse c

a / sin opposite angle = c / sin 90 (I don't know what of those two the opposite angle is because you didn't provide that information)

now just change the equation that c (the hypotenuse we're searching for) is on one side and the all the other stuff on the other.

You should end up with something like this

a / sin opposite angle * sin 90 = c

Edit: here the wikipedia article if you wanna read up on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_sines
sin 90° = 1 ?

How do you calculate sin of something that's not a common value? Like sin 35°?
Why not use a calculator?
It's been 8 years since I went to school, but does this help?
The Sine and Cosine Rule
and the Jingle: Some Old Hags Can Always Hide Their Old Age

Sine = Opp/Hyp Cos = Adj/Hyp Tan = Opp/Adj
Got it!

This is the result: 17.543859649122807017543859649123:yahoo:
[Image: triscf1.gif][Image: Image125.gif]

That formula solved it. I forgot it existed. Thanks for the help!
' Wrote:[Image: triscf1.gif][Image: Image125.gif]

That formula solved it. I forgot it existed. Thanks for the help!

Please don't bring the horrors of my traumatic childhood back to these forums again mkay?:P
Sorry but it had to be done.:lol:So damn simple...