Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How do I connect to the server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hallo allemaal,

I read various parts of the forum and the Wiki but I didn't find one improtant thing: How do I connect to the server?

And honestly, after writing the above sentence my fell on this sentence on the wiki:
FL shortcut: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s discogc.game-host.org:2302
Is it just that? But then what about the directory where I installed Discovery, how is that going to be involved?

I know I have version 4.86. Is that enough or is a particular subversion needed?

Of course I played the single player version first, after playing the original game first. Do I have to wipe certain files first, or even to install everything fresh?

Thank you for any help!
If you're launching v4.86 of Discovery from your Program Files folder and if you installed it without changing the installation path when you used the installer, you're launching your old version of Discovery or your vanilla (unmodded) install of Freelancer. You shouldn't need to do anything to the shortcut to be able to connect to the server if you're running v4.86. There's a shortcut for launching it on your start menu in the "Discovery Freelancer" folder.

If you can't find the shortcut on your start menu and you're sure you installed Discovery to the default location, you'll find Freelancer.exe @ "C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Local\Discovery Freelancer 4.86.0\EXE\Freelancer.exe".

EDIT: Sorry if that wasn't very clear. Just send me a PM, post here, or join the Help Channel on Skype (if you have it) if you've got any further questions. There are plenty of people around willing to help.

EDIT2: Official guide to installing and running Discovery v4.86

Username removed

Welcome, you should not change anything to the original game, to put it simple: Get the Freelancer game itself, then, come here, and download the Discovery mod and let it install itself in default with it's default settings(eventually read Cannon's guide about it.) And when you want to connect to the server, do not click on the game itself, click on the discovery 4.86 shortcut.