Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Translating the hexcode in base.ini and tags.ini files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.

I have written a program that will allow server admins to translate the hex codes in base.ini and tags.ini files. (infocard, ally list, passwords in case the user loses it for some reason). It will also translate plain text into the discovery hex codes. Here is a screenshot of the program.

[Image: flhextool.jpg]

The buttons are greyed cause there is nothing in the fields. Once the fields have something in them, the buttons will become active.

You can download the program here. FLHexTool

Just download it, unzip it and run it. No muss, no fuss, no installation. It doesn't even require the .net framework.

I did this for someone and he loved it. Figured it might be useful for other admins.

Janus
This is probably a bad idea to have a tool admins can use to find out bases passwords.

Disgruntled admins could take all the passwords and just release a list of all the passwords to every base in sirius. While the odds of this are low on DGC, Other servers could do this.

Edit: also, this may be in the wrong section. *shrug*
First off, I didn't know where to put it. So if it's in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Actually, ADMINS can get base passwords and such now. If you really look at the hexcodes you begin to see patterns, like 00 2 characters, 00, 2 more characters and so on. Also the letters are always A to F. That will tell anyone who can build their own server that that is hex.

The Global server probably has someting like this already. Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Cannon is after all, an admin, from what I understand. If he doesn't know how to read the hex codes, no one does.

As for non-GC ADMINS abusing this and releasing all the base passwords, sure they could. Of course they would probably lose all their users. Who wants to play on a server where the ADMINS give out classified inofrmation indiscriminatly? Almost all of these servers don't have a large user base in the first place. They can't afford to lose members.

Just trying to help some of these ADMINS. I've been one. I know it's quite a bit of work.

Janus
' Wrote:This is probably a bad idea to have a tool admins can use to find out bases passwords.

Disgruntled admins could take all the passwords and just release a list of all the passwords to every base in sirius. While the odds of this are low on DGC, Other servers could do this.
If you don't assume an admin is trustworthy, then said person shouldn't be a ruddy admin. Moved to the dev section.
Wonderful program, now I have your ships. Awesome work.

No truly just used it to get some info, was useful, kudos to you sir.
I have updated this tool to v1.1.0.

Link to the update is FLHexTool1.1.zip

Change Log:

Added a system locator function. System numbers can be found via a drop down box listing all the systems. A system may be found by typing or pasting a system number into a text field. An error message will inform the user if the system number entered isn't a valid system designator.

Same deal as before, unzip it and run it. No installation needed. One note here; the systems.dat file must be in the same directory as the application. If the program is unable to find this file, the location function won't be available.

Janus