Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Another mindless rp thread.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

So with PvP consisting of shoot first and cuss out in a foreign language later, I went on a quest to look for the '€œtruth,'€ if there is any to PvP and CRZ , that the heck is CRZ? And on line role play. We'€™re a small community. Don'€™t know how many in total, maybe smaller than when I started. So I went to the first one I can remember where this PvP and on line roleplay '€œbegan.'€ Surely they have weeded out all the pitfalls of interactive Roleplay and have found harmony within the bounds of interweb character interaction.

Nope.

Apparently, the harder WoW tries to develop the sense of community, the more people congregate into one or a few areas and troll, hound, harass, annoy, and generally be a PITA noob. Coughcoughcoughnewyorksystemcoughcough. Now don'€™t get me wrong, many of us started out in Liberty system mainly because there was no /restart feature back then. But even in a well developed, over paid, (they still pay for that right?), well staffed game like WoW, the problem of so many trying to be their own one man army continues in a game full of millions of players.

I'€™m sure a lot of you have known this already, but if any of you remember, I stuck to Dos games before I even considered Freelancer. I mean, a Mouse controlled fighter'€¦in Space? Hello, joystick only for me, Wing Commander all the way. Anyway, Freelancer was my first Multiplayer on line game and went to a lot into how I start to grade multi player on line games.

I can see how a level of role play and interactivity comes purely from the people playing their characters and has little to no bearing on game design and numbers. Yet, like a racing event, where we watch, not to see cars drive in circles but to see which one crash and burns into the crowd, many want the PvP interaction rather than the roleplay. Tic Tac Toe anyone?
To all those whose posts I invised: If you don't know what to post as a reply to a non-flood thread, then don't post...
I got a little lost, so you are saying that more people here want PVP than RP?
Cos i really actually dont like PVP in disco, to much chance to be ganked etc etc, i would rather rp all day by sitting outside a planet and rp'n to a trader than fighting a pirate, i guess everyone has there preferences?

Did i understand you correctly?
It's a space-shooting game. Also shooting and roleplaying aren't mutually exclusive. Often the same.
' Wrote:It's a space-shooting game. Also shooting and roleplaying aren't mutually exclusive. Often the same.
No, but the quality of what little roleplay there is could be improved. Not to mention that for a roleplaying community, and one so small at that, everyone's first response seems to be to look for a reason or a chance to blow someone up rather than develop their characters in any meaningful or interesting way.
Improve it by doing it.
' Wrote:Improve it by doing it.
I try, but it's hard to improve it when it depends on another's actions as much as your own. It's all good and well to try to develop your characters, but it means nothing if invariably all you do is end up being shot (generally, red is dead). Short of roleplaying with myself there's little to do in that regard.

Didn't think about that, did you?
Yes I did, I was thinking about my Johnathan in jail being ignored, but didnt want to appear whiney by bringing it up. So I decided to try offering advice instead. Hopefully if I do enough, someone will take notice.
This is a space ship shooter game.

I'm not sure how it is hard to develop your character nor how it depends on another's actions. I've developed Victor Cross for three years know. Victor, mind you, hasn't been in game for two years know.

Developing a character in Disco consists of portraying said character in a certain way. That can be done via text or combat prowess.

Combat Prowess: One can easily role play a military recruit and over the course of playing him develop him into an Ace. Even if you are an ace as a player. How? In the beginning you purposefully lose to demonstrate your character is inexperienced and such.

Text: Stories. In role play communications with others. In game interactions with others.

It isn't hard to develop your character here.

You just have to understand you are not Judge, Jury, and Executioner; and that there are other people here. You have to understand this is a dynamic environment and not a static one that you get to rule over.

Oh. Yea. Forgot to mention that many factions are military oriented. Shooting (killing) your adversaries is typically how military characters develop. That is - they are playing their role as intended and in doing so their character develops. Be in in skill, rank, stature, etc etc.
I have to keep inventing new johnny no-body characters because I keep having to promote my own... :|

Most if not all of my chars started off as random names, each RP encounter I learnt something new about my characters... they all I hope have developed into quite believable and interesting people but i never really had a plan I just started with a name and went from there.

I remember some of my first transmissions I got to send with some of my chars as they had never done any external diplomatic transmissions before they had no idea what to say/do but it was fun doing it.
Pages: 1 2