Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trade Development Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This really doesn't seem an issue, even less so if you assume a unit is a measure of weight, not of volumne.
Sure you could increment the size of each passenger commodity by one without much fuss but times 16 is simply too much, each VIP would require 80 units of space compared to the current 5 meaning a full sized liner without armour could only carry 52 (4,215 cargo) which is absurd.

Is it really worth gimping the entire passenger system (OS&C and IDF mainly) just to satisfy an oddity of cargo in a mod where pirates can build warships equal to those of House navies?
My mistake on clarification. Corrected in post up.

VIP could take only 32 cargo units (with adequately modified price), while other passengers would take only 16. The change is to counter the absurd nonsense in which freighter can easily take up 500 people, while it would barely have place for 20.

The prices and income technically would be the same in bulk, following the scheme "it takes 16 times more cargo, it costs 16 times more.
(04-08-2016, 04:52 PM)Croft Wrote: [ -> ]This really doesn't seem an issue, even less so if you assume a unit is a measure of weight, not of volumne.

Too bad it would make even less sense as cargo holds have fixed volume and mass would only be important if weak engines' lifting capacity would be a limiting factor. Since we have magnetic atmo->space travel via Docking Rings, it's not an issue.

Not the first time I see someone wanting to measure cargo hold capacity in weight for whatever reason, can we stop with this bullcrap finally?

(04-08-2016, 04:52 PM)Croft Wrote: [ -> ]Sure you could increment the size of each passenger commodity by one without much fuss but times 16 is simply too much, each VIP would require 80 units of space compared to the current 5 meaning a full sized liner without armour could only carry 52 (4,215 cargo) which is absurd.

So what? Or does it make more sense to squeeze all the 4k+ ppl on board the liner, or just half thousand into a small freighter?

(04-08-2016, 04:52 PM)Croft Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really worth gimping the entire passenger system (OS&C and IDF mainly) just to satisfy an oddity of cargo in a mod where pirates can build warships equal to those of House navies?

Yup. Nothing else changes, all the profits, routes, whatever else with tons of more importance than how much folks you carry for the same amount of cash occupying the same amount of cargo holds, all remain the same.
I would not mind seeing people commodities being "heavier". It's odd to see such high numbers on smaller ships.
I certainly hope you willing to apply that logic to everything in Disco Thyrzul, it would be quite hypocritical if everything else that makes no sense got a free pass, I eagerly await your entire rework of the mod.

I can agree that freighters carrying 500 passengers is excessive, which is why I suggested making them a uniform 2 units. The biggest oversight here is forgetting that liners have rooms not holds and by that standard each passenger should take up a single room. However that would be incredibly dull and uninteresting, althought it would make profit calculations far simpler.

Nothing changes in the maths but there is a very distinct lack of grandeur when you pick up 200 passengers compared to 4,000, hell a double decker bus can hold 80 people and I'm fairly certain our liners are slightly bigger.

As I said the first time, I can agree that the amount some ships hold are a bit extreme but the proposed idea is equally extreme.
Since Passengers take 2 slots, you can only take 2000 of them.
Only the Passenger commodity takes 2 slots, the remaining passengers_br (etc) all take up one.
http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cru...ty-ratings
Here you go.
On a BOAT you could fit 5000 people if it is big enough, let alone a space ship.
A luxury liner makes perfect sense to have 4000 passengers on the ship.

To have 1000 passengers is absurd/ridiculous and not efficient in the slightest.
The problem are freighters which wouldn't be able to fit these 250 people (assuming size is changed to 2 units), this is why I proposed that change. Freighter might be big, but not THAT big.
Making cargo space THAT MUCH for people on ships is ridiculous. No designer + investor would do that.

Look at this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/1...534993.jpg
This is a luxyer suite on a high-class boat, ok? And they wouldnt have all of the rooms like this.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...c3d95f.jpg
it could be like this or even less.

Or if you want to go jap:
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010/01/.../popup.jpg