Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cruise disruptors and missiles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello guys!

Playing PvP, I noticed that nobody uses missiles. I decided to install a missile and see how effective they are. My choice was a single Sidewinter Torpedo. The people that saw me using a missile told me that the server doesn't track missiles and they are laggy. During my fights I didn't notice any lag. The missiles worked just fine. Big Grin

But after a few fights I discovered that cruise disruptors can blow up my missile. Confused

Now lets talk about cruise disruptors (i will call them CD's from now on). Their primary role is to disable the cruise engines. But it turns out they can do more than that. They can also stop engine kill, blow up mines and now blow up other missiles. Isn't the though of taking out a missile with another missile just funny?

Anyway, I do believe that this anti-missile missile technic is physically possible. Missiles detonate on impact and the CD basicly deliveres that inpact. But ingame this just anoying.

On the other hand countermessures attract missiles. With the right timing and skill you can evade an incoming missile using countermessures . Not to mention, most players can dodge a missile with no difficulty. So thats two ways to avoid missiles.

With that said, why do CD's blow up missiles? When a CD is fired at a missile it has 95% chace on hitting the incoming missile. And if done correctly, the missile can blow up right in the louncher's face. So basicly CD's beat missiles? Lets compair them:

CD's
+stop cruise
+stop engine kill
+can refire fast
+blow up mines
+blow up missiles
+have 95% chance of a succesful hit

Missiles
+do a large amount of damage
-can blow you up when hit by CD

What else do I need to say? :dodgy:

I am allright with the CD plus mine strategy, becouse its not 100% effective. Players can easily avoid a mine explsion.

With all that said, I think CD's are a little bit overpowored. Is there any way to make the missiles immune to CD's? Or at least change the CD vs missile hit chance to , lets say, 25%?

I realy want to hear your opinion on this topic.

bloogaL

Use countermeasures. Or CD then shoot missiles, your CD can destroy your enemy's CD.
Missiles and Torpedoes are fine.

The CD's explosion range should be lowered to vanilla stats, though, if that doesn't affect their ability to disrupt ''all'' ships.
(10-03-2012, 06:16 PM)DragonRider Wrote: [ -> ]Playing PvP, I noticed that nobody uses missiles. I decided to install a missile and see how effective they are. My choice was a single Sidewinter Torpedo. The people that saw me using a missile told me that the server doesn't track missiles and they are laggy. During my fights I didn't notice any lag. The missiles worked just fine. Big Grin

They worked fine with the server load at that time Big Grin Havent you ever played where CD would not track the target, and just fly off somewhere? Missiles will do the same thing when load is high.

Quote:On the other hand countermessures attract missiles. With the right timing and skill you can evade an incoming missile using countermessures . Not to mention, most players can dodge a missile with no difficulty. So thats two ways to avoid missiles.

Yep there are a lot of ways to counter missile/torpedo spam: CM, CD (the opponent or the missile directly), flak (for caps), evasion, and lag

Quote:With that said, why do CD's blow up missiles?

To clarify the mechanics a bit, the other guy is targeting your ship, and the explosion radius of the CD is large enough to detonate the missile that you just launched. This requires a few things: (1) they have to throw a CD pretty quickly so it detonates on your hull while the missile is still in range, (2) the CD has to hit your ship, (3) the CD type has to have a sufficient explosion damage radius to encompass your missile, and (4) the missile needs to have low enough hit-points to be detonated by the explosion splash. The three most common CDs, which are Mosquito, Train, and Reinforced CD, are all capable of detonating most nearby missiles if you get it there quick enough. Some projectiles like NOVA torpedoes have too many hit-points to be detonated by splash, and and must be targeted directly, and only by specific kind of CD.

Quote:With all that said, I think CD's are a little bit overpowored. Is there any way to make the missiles immune to CD's? Or at least change the CD vs missile hit chance to , lets say, 25%?

As bloogal said, you can throw your own CD at the same time as the missile, then if they try to launch a CD yours may detonate their own. Or you can drop CMs and try to make their CD detonate behind you, outside the splash damage zone. Another tactic, is use a low-level missile (like a stalker) as a decoy, and then use heavier missiles for the real pain.

I do think that missiles and torps should have more hitpoints so that they are harder to detonate, but its tricky balance--if CDs didnt detonate them, everybody would be missile spamming all the time. On the other hand there are already so many defenses against missiles that it makes sense to tighten them up a bit. Also it would make room in the balance for a flak CD that only detonated munitions and did not break cruise or EK
I think itd be best if your CD had to actually HIT the missile to detonate it, rather than get it with splash, thatd require more skill.
Turn your CMs on when you fire missiles, have them in the same weapons group. Use Heavy CMs so they last while your missile leads away from you.

Problem solved Wink
(10-04-2012, 06:27 AM)Hone Wrote: [ -> ]I think itd be best if your CD had to actually HIT the missile to detonate it, rather than get it with splash, thatd require more skill.
Everybody would just rely on CMs and evasion instead. Trying to target a missile in-flight is pretty difficult. And while you're doing that, he's shooting you... :dodgy: Better to just CM/evade and keep your guns on him
I believe CDs are just as they should be.

Mine spiking has been an old tactic used by almost everyone. Now, missiles are the same as mines though they happen to move. You can kill someone with their own mine by CDing, same with a missile. It's a risk you have to take if you want to missile or mine spam.
As I cannot hit hull with blasters, I became a missile lover. But as a general rule you can say: you will not hit anything but jousters when the server has more than 100 players. At about 50 in the early morning hours, they are deadly moster weapons. At 150-200 they are only useful to suicide with a big bang or hit rather inexperienced people.

I'll give the "use CM together with missiles to avoid the missile being CDed in my face" approach. If that works, it would boost missiles to a point where I'd say they are okay, balance-wise.
Launching CM as you launch your missiles/torp works VERY well already... been using that method since i first started using torps against CD users
Pages: 1 2