Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mining Helium-3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello fellow Discovery players,

I've been playing Freelancer and Discovery on and off for the past several years, despite not being overly active in the forums.

So, after putting a few hours into the game, I find myself running into some difficulty with mining. I've obtained a GMG ID as well as a GMG IFF, and am flying a Kamome transport armed with two transport mining turrets. I figured I could use this combination to do some Helium-3 mining, but after going to three of the four listed mining locations in the wiki, mining there yields nothing (Sigma-13, Sigma-19, and Okinawa).

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Is something wrong with my ID/IFF/Ship combination for mining? Or has something within the game changed with Helium-3 mining that is not reflected in the wiki?

Any help would be greated appreciated!
Here's a youtube demo clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E4SFQPmSMU

The H3 mining model in Discovery works on the premise that you are refining some of the waste product from the mining stations. So, the first thing you must do is find a Helium-3 mining platform that is expelling the waste product. These platforms will show a very small mining field bubble around them, just slightly larger than the platform icon (some are shown here in the 9 o'clock position of H5 in Okinawa). Once you get to the platform, you must pull right up next to it before you will see the small black flecks floating in space. Those are the mineable gas deposits. Shoot them and rake in the credits.
Yeah, hug the mining stations really hard. More love needed in Disco!!! It's a pain to see rocks. Experiment with positions a little... find the one that you like best. (sun)
Those fields will be rotated 90 drg in the next patch - creating a wider area extending from the center of those models. Should make mining a little easier.
head to Section H/5 in Okinawa system/ Pick the first miner(the one closer to Fujisawa) and sit on it....Enjoy mining!
Thanks for the feedback everyone! That explains away my confusion. I'll try out your suggested techniques next time I'm on and we'll see how it goes.

I appreciate all of the helpful responses.