Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Yet an other "hello"-thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well then, hello indeed.

I am Gladen, I'm Dutch and 22 years old. I used to play Freelancer back in the day it was still officially supported. After that ceased to exist, so did my Freelancing days. However, after many years I recently stumbled upon the original CD whilst moving to Germany, and the fond memories made me re-install the game. A quick search on Google showed that the Discovery server was the most active one, and thus here I am with my love for Freelancer renewed.

I remember I used to be part of a big and thriving player made faction, with many a great evenings filled with trade, adventure, and teamwork. I long for those days. However faint in memory, the feeling of joy it brought remains strong. I hope to be part of such a community once again someday.

Trading is my skill. To acquire wealth is my goal. I am currently working on my first character to become a cargo hauler. Secondary will be a fighter. Lawful or not remains undecided.

I look forward to meeting you all in game, and hope that you will treat me the same way I will treat you: A friend not yet acquainted with.

If I could ever be of any assistance, please let me know.
Yes, the never-fading, unforgettable feelings of joy are what makes you come back to things you left behind, including games, especially Freelancer.

I am very much fond of your attitude, I guess you are the kind of player I would love to meet in space the most.

There are multiple trading factions on discovery, take a look at them if it ever happens to bore you flying goods in space all alone.

Last but not least, welcome to the community.
Welcome to Disco!

To echo what Junes said, you seem like the best kind of new person to have around. Disco offers plenty of opportunities (through factions or not) for trading, combat and RP - many of which will offer all three and more. You can make as many ships as you want and can manage (Launchpad can be used to allow for more IDs to legitimately overcome the 5 per account system).

Have a look for what takes your fancy, especially some of the non-vanilla stuff we've got here.

Skype is also handy to have for talking to people outside the game, and most of the larger factions will insist you have it to join them.

Enjoy yourself, hopefully see you in space.
Thank you both for you kind and welcoming words. I look forward to the day our paths cross in space.

I have yet to be familiarized with the many factions currently in existence. I do hope I will find one in due time. Factions are a great asset to the gameplay experience, in my opinion. I will have to delve into not only the story behind all these factions, but indeed in all things added with Discovery as well. So much to do, so little time!

I am already a Skype user, so that should be no problem in the future. Smile
Welcome to the community, have a lot of fun, read rules if you haven't and enjoy. Cool
Ahoy there lonesome space traveler.
Welcome to the Disco Forums!
I'm sure you'll do great here.

Username removed

Glad to see Hello threads instead of goobye thread, en welkom op onze fourms en server !
Thanks again, people.

Right, all the rules is quite a bit of information to process and store in a short period of time. I find it hard to get around here with many broken links on the forums, but as I've understood that's something to do with a forum update/upgrade.

But in a nutshell, to keep me out of unwanted trouble for now, I guess that the most important rules are:
Carry an ID with you at all times
Don't attack players below rank 30
Always communicate in any channel inRP (hah! My first Freelancer abbreviation!) unless in emergency situations, or if allowed in private/group chats
Always engage in communication before engaging in combat with an other player
When killed by an other player, I am not allowed back in the system of death for 4 hours
Never F1 whist interacting with an other player (Look at me! More slang, I'm getting the hang of it, me)

Any additions to that, anyone?

Now, I would like to endeavor in some Roleplaying, make a character and it's story and such. Is there any overview or summary about Disco FL history? Perhaps even something I could print and just read before going to bed? Heh, that'd probably be too much to ask... but I'd like to be able to read up on something so I can make an historically correct tale for my RP character(s). I won't be asking for a detailed spreadsheet of reputation statuses between factions and systems and such. But info about recent wars, important things, story-changing events, perhaps (I think i've read that somewhere) things about religion? That would be very welcomed.

And, perhaps a silly question, but I've been reading some applications to factions before trying to apply for one myself. The work history part; is that character storyline or actual -albeit roleplay- experience gained earlier within this community?

I'm also trying to figure out what way is best to proceed from here. I wouldn't want to put hard work in a character now that I'm going to regret later, and have to start from scratch again. Any pointers?

EDIT:
I have found some interesting articles and timelines on the wiki regarding Sirius and house history. I'll read up on that and see where that takes me Smile
Those are the main rules. Remember that docking out of an ongoing battle counts as PvP death (if you are able to escape and dock with no-one on your scanners then you're still alive).

Seems you've found the timelines that I would have linked you to. The story announcements that came out with 4.86 were pretty useful for me at a quick glance (I'd already read silly amounts of the Wiki beforehand Wink). You can find out about Bretonia, Liberty, Rheinland, Kusari and Gallia in their own threads. Any specific questions can be sent to helpful users - the Angels are a good shout, but I'd be willing to talk to you too.

As for the "previous experience", that depends on if it is in the inRP or ooRP section of that application. For an example, the Interspace Commerce recruitment looks for your character's past employment, while the Independent Miners Guild's one is looking for Disco factions you as a person have been in.

I'd suggest joining a trade faction first, since they are generally large and can be relatively simple (but more complex if you want). You can practice your RP, and talk to the more experienced members there to get used to the way of the server. You'll also earn money to use on other characters that you want to make.
You can go for a house-based one such as Bowex (one of the most prominent factions), or a Sirius-wide one such as the IMG I mentioned above.
Then I'd suggest a military/police faction, and/or an unlawful faction.

You'll get on your feet eventually.