Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hello Everyone, Just starting!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys and gals,
I first played Freelancer about 10 years ago and loved the game. Recently I heard about and pledged money too a game called Star Citizen which will be created by Chris Roberts the same guy who brought us wing commander, privateer and then freelancer. Well this got me thinking about Freelancer and what an awesome game it was all those years ago. Looked through my old stash of games and found my Freelancer DVD. Was totally stoked to pop it in and see what kind of mods people had come up with over the years. Man was I surprised to find out that not only have there been a ton of amazing mods but there are people still playing the game and actively updating their mod universe. I have always enjoyed Role Playing with friends though it has been a few years since my last RP session. So I downloaded Discover 4.86 installed and joined the server. So far I have been having a lot of fun on my own just hauling cargo from one place to another trying to avoid pirates. Just bought a bigger Frigate class ship and even got engaged for the first time the other day by an actual player. It was fun and exciting. The only thing I'm not sure of right now is how to go about talking with other players and getting myself into the game. Should I just start blabbing on the chat channel and see who responds, or is there a protocol for initiating conversation. As a privateer running around with cargo I'm not sure what would be worth saying to other players. Any suggestions would be great. My character name on the server is the same as the user name I'm using for this discussion board. Look forward to flying with you guys. Really enjoying myself so far. Also as someone who has tried EVE I love this so much more. EVE has WAY too much complexity and detail.
Hi
"Should I just start blabbing on the chat channel and see who responds" yes, default chat is to those on scanner, fire away and see who bites.
Well well Big Grin

Welcome to Disco mate! Yes we're quite alive n' full of life!

So to anwer your question about how to RP ingame:
Think of your charicter you have in your mind, develope a personality for him, and use that as your basis for how you interact with the people ingame.

REMEMBER: Always Role Play when using local or system chat (in group and PMs you can speak OORP).

A second note: The rules here are complex at first sight (though they are easy to understand after a few reads), I'd advise you give them a good looking over just to be safe Wink I know I wish I had after my first few sanctions. (there is a link to the rules at the header of the site)

Good luck and have fun!
Welcome to Disco!

Another Freelancer veteran who's found his way here it seems, glad to have you with us.

You can take a look at the chat commands here (the rest of the commands would be handy anyway). Chat defaults to local (anyone you can see in your contact list), but you can either type the relevant command or change the channel using your Chat Interface. As long as you keep it within the server rules (including that local and system should be in roleplay), whatever you want is fine.

You seem to have gotten on your feet already, so choose some RP (independent or faction) that takes your fancy and continue to have fun.

Good luck, maybe see you in space...
'Sup brah, hope you last. See ya in spesh
Wow talk about a quick reply! It's really good to see that you guys care a lot about this game. Makes me feel good about being a part of it. I will reach out and start chatting with some people and develop my character. Thank you guys and excited to dig further into this. Have fun out there and fly safe.
Welcome to the Community, have a lot of fun! Smile
Sup yo.

Welcome to the block. Check my signature for links to some helpful guides and such. Any other questions, feel free to drop me a PM here on the forums and I'll do my best to answer the question or point you in the direction of an individual who can.

Stay frosty.

Username removed

Welcome, I am a pirate myself, and please let me apologize to you for the idiotic pirates who will shoot your ship after going like "2milrdai" or no words at all, this is against the rules and we are not all like that, show me yer a worthy trader by not acting the same way yourself, and I'll gladly RP with you Wink
(10-17-2012, 06:31 PM)redfire912 Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, I am a pirate myself, and please let me apologize to you for the idiotic pirates who will shoot your ship after going like "2milrdai" or no words at all, this is against the rules and we are not all like that, show me yer a worthy trader by not acting the same way yourself, and I'll gladly RP with you Wink

Yeah all the guy did was say "HALT". But to be fair to him I said "No way" and tried to run for it. He disabled my cruise drive and then blew me to pieces within a couple seconds. Later I read that I should try and negotiate with a pirate and see if he will let me pass for a fee rather than get blown up and loose my cargo. So I guess we were both at fault. Him for not saying anything more than "HALT" and me for running instead of talking with him. Currently running around in a Dromedary with a Privateer ID. Tried getting a Universal Shipping ID but because of the Dromedary it cut me down to like 10% power. Next ship I get will be either a civilian or a Liberty class so I can use the Universal Shipping ID without so much of a penalty.
Pages: 1 2