Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Some thoughts : The future of Kusari house
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm twelve and what is this

Disclaimer :

That pile of poodoo is only my view on things. What could be done to make things interesting in Kusari, according to me. You are free to criticize, give out your ideas to come to a Kusari worth playing in. There is a lot of points i didn't tackle. Golden Chrysanthemum, for example.

To the devs :

I'm aware this is coming quite late. I know you lads already have a charged agenda and todo lists longer then a Disco's player ego.
I must stress however something must be done about Kusari. The only active factions remaining are Samura and KNF. That said, it is in the end fine to see most of the activity collapse to the center, if it's what people want.

People reading this thread, bridge campers, concerned citizens :

Now i know you folks love to argue about stuffs and have fun. It's all fine. I love that too.
Go and try having a constructive discussion.

In the end, i saw some of you stating that Kusari was the way it is because of the people playing there. Is that a lost cause? There isn't anything to be done? That's totally up to you.

Liberty/Kusari war

I heard many times Kusari needed a war to get some activity. However, i don't see why the Republic would start a war they would have nothing to gain from.

West once gave those numbers to compare the military power of the main houses :
Quote:150-170 gallia
100 Liberty
50 Rheinland
30 Kusari
20 Bretonia

While such numbers are debatable, it gives a good idea of the strength differences, imho.
If a war between Kusari and Liberty happened, Kusari would sooner of later be forced to call for help, thus allowing Gallic forces to transit and then occupy Kusari space.

The very thing Kusari Republic tried to avoid by bending over to Gallia and abandon their claims on the Taus.

On Liberty side, i imagine they would be reluctant to open a third front, when they are busy already with Rheinland, and forced to send forces in Bretonia to contain Gallia.

In that order of idea, i personally consider such an event to be going against the lore, and thus unlikely.

Emperor's forces

The Exiles, slowly retreating from Bretonia battlefront as more Liberty forces are getting into it, and using the Barrier pass to bypass Gallic forces holding the Taus, could play an active part in the house.

We could imagine them doing a massive push inside Kusari, ending with them controlling a part of Tau 29 and a large part of Kyushu, including the planet.

In my eyes, Kyushu contains a population mostly loyal to the old ways. It is Farmer Alliance's home after all. Having the population rebel against the Republic as the Imperial forces push in Kyushu could allow them to hold their ground.

All this would be a flanking manoeuvre decided by the forces allied against Gallia to attack them from two sides while attempting to disrupt the lucrative trade between Kusari and Gallia.
Of course, trade between the two houses could find another way with the constructon of a gate in Nagano.

The Imperial fleet being weakened, it would be logical for them to rely more and more on civilian technology, with only a core of their fleet Kusarish. Liberty could also play a part there by secretly supplying them while keeping an apparent neutral side with the Republic.

Blood dragons

Now the ]bd[ decided to give up, it might be an opportunity for some folks to actually build something new here.
Personally, i could imagine them dropping the good relations with GMG, given their lose ties with Kishiro, which is now the main lobby in Kusari Republic.

Losing the anonymous "donations" coming from GMG would just force Blood Dragons to rely even more on piracy, which could give another goal to players, instead of mere PVP.

Blood Dragons would both fight Imperial forces and Republican forces, for different reasons. Which would turn them into a pivot between the two entities.

Samura

The old Keiretsu would be more than pleased to see the Emperor back, and would most likely support his forces secretly. They would however still work with the Republic, not willing to lose all the lucrative deals they have there.
Whoever would win, they would thus lose nothing.

Kishiro and GMG

The two entities might just get even closer, gmg gaining more influence in Kusari thanks to their partner. This could just lead to a loosely tied dominion including Kusari and Sigmas.

Hogosha

Hogosha lost some ground with the rise of Kishiro. This civilian war could be a good opportunity for them to either win on both counts by acting as mercenaries for the two faction... Or actively taking a side.
Exiles smuggling back to Kusari to start civil war makes more sense than to be a foreign legion working for former enemy nr. 1. Military power is way off, considering Liberty is not even trying (small portion of forces, ingame is different story) to raze Rheinland which pulls out all of their former non-infected military left from 800 A.S.

Kusari needs total rewrite of official and undertable connections between all the groups as Republic broke it all.
I agree with Yao that civil war would make the most sense right now. I never understood how Oldtime-likers, Hogosha, Samura businessmen, Emperor likers, magically just shut up and went away. One of the ideas I had was (I think I have even discussed it with Fran) that Kusari with it's now rather decentralized rule could split into feudal systems (Kyushu, Honshu, Shikoku etc) each struggling for power, much like Japan in pre-Edo period with Meiji american (Liberty) influence parts. Shikoku could unite with Kyushu against New Tokyo and Honshu, Liberty would be trying to support some sides, so would Rheinland and Gallia. Between all that KNF forces tore by defections to either sides trying to keep the Kusari united. Hogosha working for either or both sides to gain profit, Dragons could try to use this chance as their way to seize power...

I think the options are endless are would be very much player based.
(10-25-2012, 01:38 PM)Yaoquizque Wrote: [ -> ]Blood dragons

Now the ]bd[ decided to give up, it might be an opportunity for some folks to actually build something new here.
Personally, i could imagine them dropping the good relations with GMG, given their lose ties with Kishiro, which is now the main lobby in Kusari Republic.

Losing the anonymous "donations" coming from GMG would just force Blood Dragons to rely even more on piracy, which could give another goal to players, instead of mere PVP.

Blood Dragons would both fight Imperial forces and Republican forces, for different reasons. Which would turn them into a pivot between the two entities.

I don't see you've said anything new, with the first and third paragraph you're just corroborating that the faction's main appeal is raiding, not pirating.

PS: And uh, before suggesting dropping relations with GMG, I'd really recommend you to bother creating a BDragon char yourself and also bothering to check their lore and RP as one of them for a week or so. Else, there's no need to pretend caring for X or Y faction.
On the whole "war" issue...i think Kusari might start a Omicrons and Tau campaing to weed out those pesky Outcasts that spread drugs around and pirate and so on. Also, Kusar might be nudged by Gallia to do so while it takes care of the "more important " troublemakers.

On Kishiro/Samura even if there is a inRP difference with them- like in all other houses, one trade faction is always biggest by far ( IC, Bowex,DHC,Samura) and at least in my opinion won't change fast. People stick together and play in teams(which is good)- and tradefactions that have little or no limitations in what to trade or with whom are not different enough to spread folks up.
To do that one would have to really chisel out and define fixed drawbacks and advantages for each faction(propably via diplomatic status and allowed goods)....afterall, when i have a Samura ship already, why should i get a Kishiro train aswell?

The Hogosha and the unlawfull bunch:
Personally™, i think all of them are a mess and a big one at that- way to small profile, the same revolutionary soup as everywhere, i dislike it.
My superquick concept to completly refurbish the landscape:
Remodel the farmers, the dragons and the chrysantemums into space-ninja-pirate clans or more precise the long arm of the companies and the state and have them managed and brokered by the hogosha.
-Blood Dragons: won't take up jobs agianst the Kusari gouvernment or friendly traders, instead hit on smugglers, revolutionaries,protesters, non-company traders and generally as the assassins for the jobs the gouvernment can't do officially
-Golden Chrysantemums: could align in with Kishiro and their views, chasing down the competition and Samura and might aswell try to open up a Caradmine side business( killing of all competition for sure)
-Farmers: Stand close to Samura, thus will hit the competition and Kishiro especially- and could aswell keep their hate for food importeurs ...

Now the Hogosha could be the power broker between the lawfull and unlawfull sidde and have their own agenda handy aswell. Meaning if samura wants to see Kishiro shipper XXY dead, ask the hogosha, they will manage. Also, the Hogosha could finally get some protection money schemes going " Hello dear Trader....you sure want some native to help you navigate, not that you get lost,hai?" and then simply messenging the 3 unlawfulls via /fm to hit or not to hit on somebody and off course splitting cash evenly, aswell

So this way you get a radical overhaul of the structure and the rp, for some more for some less...but at least it wouldn't be same old same old( nothing is as boring as those damn revolutionaries....overthrowing govenments is the unlawfull hipster badge to me Big Grin )
I am all for giving Kyushu to the Exiles it would create nice pew field- positioned between Gallics/Outcasts and Kusari Republicans. If the exiles pew Kishiro,GMG,Gallics,Outcasts,GC,BD they would be really popular faction.Also such scenario would give something to for FA/Hogosha, it could also be played along with the loss of Leeds to Gallics- the exiles left the place in order to help the rebels at home leaving bretons on their own to fail vs gallics- sounds reasonable.
I see problem only with BD and GC- they kinda does not have place in this plot- you say GC would be OC smugglers-boring and easy to substitute via LH,Junker,OC,indie smugglers- may be if they can smuggle something like cardamine co-product, that would be sellable only on their bases it could work.
BD-I find the situation strange- they want some 100 years dead shogun fellow to rule, they are against the republic and against the old empire, however they are for keeping the traditional values-and there is the problem, in general the empire also have the same goal, killing the whole faction like in the movie would be sad. One of the faction goals to remove Samura from the government is achieved, the other to rule again is not.May be moving them closer to Omicrons in order to help Order vs Nomads while only occasionally hitting the Kusari core space is the way to go I dunno.Other ideas may be?
(10-25-2012, 02:32 PM)Ryummel Wrote: [ -> ][...]

I don't see you've said anything new, with the first and third paragraph you're just corroborating that the faction's main appeal is raiding, not pirating.

PS: And uh, before suggesting dropping relations with GMG, I'd really recommend you to bother creating a BDragon char yourself and also bothering to check their lore and RP as one of them for a week or so. Else, there's no need to pretend caring for X or Y faction.

Okay. Thanks for your feedback about this.
Perhaps you have ideas about what should be done to make Kusari funnier to play?
Purge every faction's membership and start from zero. Doable? No. Necessary? More than adding a high-valued trade-route through the House, for sure.
I'm running a Hogosha and have a lot to do--just not a lot to do it with. I believe Iron Watsass was on with me last night and his Consortium play was really fun.

Kudos to the players who developed the deep cultural nuances in previous days but as a Hogosha (and a player), in-game women's rights is a non-issue to me. Frankly, Scarlet...well, you see how we feel. Hogosha could care less and I think your average unschooled player will be puzzled by the heavy emphasis.

As to the Dragons...not seeing them anyway but days of old they were more like the hyper-active pirate faction rather than the Sirius-wide power group vying to overthrow the government and aid allies in other theaters. They had a lot of big ships and ran around blowing stuff up. I don't mind getting blown up but the Dragons often just came across as drug smugglers or pirates and little else. This is as opposed to "honorable warriors" fighting for a cause and trying to win the hearts and minds of the people with their battles.

The problem is the Dragons and C's are the same coin to a great degree--but you have two groups splitting the focus. C's as "equal consorts" of the Dragons would work. We will be seated with them in power when they ascend makes sense but the Dragons are the real power behind the C's.

Too much emphasis was given really beefing up both of these factions sometimes I think. The Dragons should be like an invasion force in Kusari--in a state of war--not random criminals and pirates. The C's, their allies but not necessarily their equals. My opinion of course.

I like the cooperation of the navy and police--makes sense too in the scenario cited above. I'd consider giving the Hogosha the lane monitoring capability the police have--to reflect their ties to and contacts in the police. And for goodness sake, give the Hogosha more missions and bases (Sigma 13 would be a great spot for a Hogosha base). Artifacts is their supposed key trade but it is senseless to try to trade those to actually finance yourself.

For the Dragons, having missions against the Wild would really make sense for them and letting them use Nomad weapons like the Order does too. Gives them a unique angle and something to do besides pirating. Maybe turn Tohoku into a huge npc battleground for that with Wild battleship groups appearing now and then--at least in missions.

The Farmers and C's are just simply minority factions--fun for detail RP for some but they are a supporting cast--rather than the main characters they have always been made into--when we had a ton of super-obsessed player there it was possible to throw them in but realistically, they dilute a lot of focus (I do trade rice a lot).

We could use some smuggling center(s) in Kusari. Ones that would be hotly contested by all the Kusari factions--navy, police, Hogosha, Dragons, etc. That way it would always be risky dropping off and picking up there. Maybe even let it be another Freelancer base that lets Junkers dock there too.

I'd love to see all the research centers in Sirius (and the two in Kusari) developed somehow into integral RP opportunities--strict docking limits, interesting things happening there--but don't know how it could be managed.

Currently my Hogosha do the following:

Mission in Kusari once in awhile.
Kill Outcasts in the Taus to level my rep from hitting too many Dauman or Republic trains in 29.
Regularly mission with the Kusari Exiles--primarily against the Outcasts and Mollies.
Regularly mission with the Gaians though not too heavily against the Bretonians.
Infrequent and mild piracy and NPC raiding in the Taus-.
Gifting help to pirated traders. Once they've paid up, I help them out in Kusari afterwards.
Stealing ore with mining transports from the IMG and GMS fields in Tau-23.
Occasionally a hit and run into Tau-118 from Newcastle.
Infrequent light trade into Bretonia and Gallia.
Infrequent diplomatic docking visits to Union Corse bases--though I have yet to meet Corse players.
Occasional visits to the Corsairs to try to get in their fleet group missions now and then.
Occasional field trip to Coronado from Tau 118 to level rep and get a little loot.

Primarily, I value the smuggling potential of being able to pass in Gallia and Bretonia so I don't harass them too often. I don't pirate within Kusari (as per the ID)--though I do occasionally make a request for a donation to "Save the Whales"--I ask, if they pay, good for me--if they don't, I don't shoot at them and no threats are involved.
Just some random thoughts while I had a break.
Kusari was never as populated as other houses, I guess thats due to the more complicated roleplay up there. To be honest, introducing Gallia and forcing Kusari to bow down to it didnt really help that situation.
I dont see any ways to fix that issue, might really be the best to just let Kusari as a whole die the revolution death to justify it in RP, once that happened someone might have ideas that work in the fresh playground. Trying to fix it with minor changes wont make it any better.
Pages: 1 2 3