Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Comcast Internet, AKA Mephistopheles' Pride and Joy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, so my family uses Comcast because AT&T screwed us (we bought DSL, they never turned it on, then charged us for the time it wasn't on when we tried to cancel), but as some might have noticed today (me getting 10 minute lag, then recovering slightly only to die to a tradelane right before an event... :() it sucks. I also completely lost connection to such easy things as google, and when I tried to restart the connection, windows told me "cannot connect, TCP/IP not enabled on this connection". I unplugged it, waited five minutes, and tried again, and while I got internet, windows still says disconnected.

Grr...

I had no problems with Insight, and then Comcast bought them out. I thought the suckage might have something to do with the nearby college campus, but they ended about a month ago, and it still sucks.

So, what do y'all use? I'm looking into finding something to switch to, but since most of the good ones were eaten by a now overloaded Comcast and AT&T out-evils most diabolical agents of hell, I can't think of anything. Help!

Oh yeah, I get a ping of ~160, yet almost always have red lag. It seems to be related to stuff simply not going through to the server, as I often have to reload pages when they bog down.
>.>

No help? Please??? PLEASE???????
I use AT&T, but bought it when it was SBC Yahoo DSL. I've had it a couple years now and am pretty happy with it. For like, ~$30/month I get 1536 kbps downstream/384 kbps upstream and it works nicely. My ping to the server admittedly is around 200 ms all the time but that's because of course I live in the USA and the server is out in the Balkan countries (at least I think that's the region...).

I can't really go wrong with it, it's been serving me well since day one.
Surely not all of you use AT&T or comcast, right? RIGHT? Please...
I have no idea about any "Comcast", since I dont live anywhere near, but I have a supercheap (something about 10euros/month) 160/160 wireless connection (802.11g) and most of the time it works well... So not much help from me.

And the server is in central Europe;)
What company might that be? If it works, that's better than what I usually have.
We ditched Comcast when they decided we needed to pay double the rates. We got WoW instead, and it works pretty decent. It's not as fast as Comcast, but it's close enough.
Well, I'm in Canada so this is irrelevant but I use Shaw Cable. They're reliable, friendly customer service and the speed is consistently fast, even in times of high usage.
' Wrote:We ditched Comcast when they decided we needed to pay double the rates. We got WoW instead, and it works pretty decent. It's not as fast as Comcast, but it's close enough.

WoW? Not World of Warcraft I'm assuming, can you spell it out so I can look into it? Thanks.
I have verizon dsl, $19 month, and around the same speeds as acendancy