Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: ships fitting into a dock module
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
could there be a split with the current dock modules to differ between ships?

I dont know if different classes is the best way to describe it, or just simply a dock module doesnt count 1 of any craft as making that module full.

1 dock module
1 freighter/heavy bomber
2 medium bomber
3 Very heavy/ Heavy fighters/ light bombers
6 Light fighters

Its already a pretty well known fact that the scale is off in freelancer, and through modding it I have learned that it is the fighters that are far far to big in comparison with the rest of the scaled world objects, fighters should be at least half the size they are at the moment.

It would be great to see carriers have more diversity.
(12-04-2012, 04:23 PM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]Its already a pretty well known fact that the scale is off in freelancer, and through modding it I have learned that it is the fighters that are far far to big in comparison with the rest of the scaled world objects, fighters should be at least half the size they are at the moment.

I dont disagree with the proposal, but I disagree with the premise. Size of the pilot object relative to the fighter seems about correct in relation to modern day fighters. If anything its the caps are too small. Make caps bigger and you can fit more fighters.
(12-04-2012, 05:15 PM)Ursus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2012, 04:23 PM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]Its already a pretty well known fact that the scale is off in freelancer, and through modding it I have learned that it is the fighters that are far far to big in comparison with the rest of the scaled world objects, fighters should be at least half the size they are at the moment.

I dont disagree with the proposal, but I disagree with the premise. Size of the pilot object relative to the fighter seems about correct in relation to modern day fighters. If anything its the caps are too small. Make caps bigger and you can fit more fighters.

well, not to turn this into a FL scale thread, but making the caps bigger would mean making stations bigger also, and then planets, and then systems.

this is because its the fighters that are simply too big, however they need to be big to be hitable objects for the game. so the balance should acknowledge this.

Either way round it goes, it would be nice to have more diversity in docking models please.
bump.. thoughts on this please..

I cant be the only one that thinks that the idea of only 1 of ANY ship type occupying the same space in a dock module is an idea that can not be expanded on to give the cool implementation of dockable ships, more purpose.
The possibility for more variety exists - it just hasn't been explored yet. That's why some ships - notably the heavier Carriers - have two different kinds of docking module slots.
Snub is a snub, no matter how big or small they are. You are not throwing ships inside a dreadnought like you throw cargo.
Savi is right there. Dock at a stationary BS and look at it's hangar.

Though, it would be wrong to jam here, lore can be "flexible". Who said that 1 docking module must stand for 1 site? It can be more of.. abstract unit, just like the armor upgrade.

There are some more important things to do, but Dii's idea makes some sense.
I think you went too far with numbers, though.

Quote:1 freighter/heavy bomber
2 medium bomber
3 Very heavy/ Heavy fighters/ light bombers
6 Light fighters

6 fighters or 1 freighter? Pff. I've better idea.

Quote: freighter/heavy bomber takes 1/2 of the module space
Heavy/Very heavy fighter or Light/Medium bomber takes 1/3
Light fighter takes 1/4
(12-04-2012, 04:23 PM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]"fighters should be at least half the size they are at the moment."

dealing with smaller targets at speeds about 700 km/h with 600m/s guns will be impossible.
on the subject of scale, we could decrease the size of the fighters but keep the hitbox the same.
ye the numbers were just ball park figures. yours are nicer.

as i said in the bowex chat, it would be cool if a dock module had say 10 "slots" and ships in the game had an indexed number relating to how many of these they occupy on the ship.

SLF 1 slot, LF may take 2 slots, HF/VHF 2.5 slots, MB/LB 3 slots, HB/Fr 4 slots.

so 3 medium bombers and 1 ship to scout, or maybe 2 VHF and 2 LF and 1 SLF... etc.

would be so cool to see some diversity.
Pages: 1 2 3