Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: help with discovery 4.86
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys,i'm new to discovery and installed it a few days back. i'm playing the 4.86. and there's a few questions i'd like to ask :

1) is there any campaign in discovery like the original game?
2) i noticed some jump holes/gates were blocked in the SP, like new york->texas,california->magellan/cortez and a few more. how do these get acivated?
3) i'm having trouble with connecting to the servers. whenever i select Multiplayer->Internet, i get a long list of servers, none of which i can connect to or select from the list. nothing happens when i select one of them. the name doesn't get highlighted, neither does the connect button. any help with this?

thanks in advance
and as if all this wasn't enough, my clean install of the original game is not working anymore. sends me back to desktop after the start up cinematics. any help,any one? admins? other members? please?
(12-08-2012, 08:14 AM)thedevilinc Wrote: [ -> ]hey guys,i'm new to discovery and installed it a few days back. i'm playing the 4.86. and there's a few questions i'd like to ask :

1) is there any campaign in discovery like the original game?
2) i noticed some jump holes/gates were blocked in the SP, like new york->texas,california->magellan/cortez and a few more. how do these get acivated?
3) i'm having trouble with connecting to the servers. whenever i select Multiplayer->Internet, i get a long list of servers, none of which i can connect to or select from the list. nothing happens when i select one of them. the name doesn't get highlighted, neither does the connect button. any help with this?

thanks in advance

1) No, there is no new Single Player campaign. The original campaign is also incompatible with the Discovery mod and is unavailable to play.

2) Those Jump Gates around Liberty were temporarily during the SP campaign. As the campaign progressed, they unlocked, except for the Alaska Gate which only opened during one mission. In Discovery, all Jump Gates present in the mod are unlocked.

3) This would suggest that the mod has not been installed properly. Make a clean installation of the original game, and a new installation of the mod. Ensure that the mod is not installed in the same directory as the clean Freelancer installation.
thanks for your advice. but those jump gates remain blocked, with an "access denied" message. it's as if some jump gates work, some don't. i've already tried a clean install/re-install, and tried the gls workaround too. i still can't connect. is it some error on my part or a server problem? btw, i am using wondows vista. could that be an issue?
(12-08-2012, 09:39 AM)thedevilinc Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for your advice. but those jump gates remain blocked, with an "access denied" message. it's as if some jump gates work, some don't. i've already tried a clean install/re-install, and tried the gls workaround too. i still can't connect. is it some error on my part or a server problem? btw, i am using wondows vista. could that be an issue?

If the Jump Gates are still blocked, then you're probably still loading up your vanilla Freelancer installation, not the Discovery mod. Unlike many other mods, the Discovery mod doesn't go over your vanilla install, but copies files across into its own folder to create a completely separate installation which doesn't interfere with the vanilla game files. You need to run the Freelancer.exe that's present in the mod files, not the vanilla files.

When installing the mod in Vista, you need to run the installation of the mod as an Administrator. It also helps if you install neither Freelancer nor the Discovery mod in the Program Files folder.
yeah,that's what i though too. i run freelancer.exe from the discovery installation folder. i go into single player, i start a new game, fly around, go to the texas jump gate, but i find access denied to it. and connection problem still exists. plus,discovery has somehow tampered with my save files. i can't play them with the original game,it just sends me back to desktop
(12-08-2012, 09:52 AM)thedevilinc Wrote: [ -> ]yeah,that's what i though too. i run freelancer.exe from the discovery installation folder. i go into single player, i start a new game, fly around, go to the texas jump gate, but i find access denied to it. and connection problem still exists. plus,discovery has somehow tampered with my save files. i can't play them with the original game,it just sends me back to desktop

The save-file issue commonly occurs when trying to load a save file from a mod into vanilla, or vice versa.

Are you sure you're playing Discovery? There should be an obvious Discovery logo splash-screen on startup.
Yes,of course. I See the exiles startup sI.fixed the saved files issue, but connection errors still exist. I guess I'll just try out some other fl mod. Moddb, here I come
(12-08-2012, 10:37 AM)thedevilinc Wrote: [ -> ]Yes,of course. I See the exiles startup sI.fixed the saved files issue, but connection errors still exist. I guess I'll just try out some other fl mod. Moddb, here I come

Are you running the latest version of Discovery? For a brand-new installation, the auto-updater should run, downloading and installing the update/patch. Without said patch you'll be unable to connect to the server.

Other things to note: you need to have Freelancer listed as an exception in Windows Firewall; some Antivirus programs may also block Freelancer. What AV are you using, if any?
Avg, and freelancer is exception in resident shield and firewall. I'm running the 4,86. Is that 45mb update necessary?
Pages: 1 2