Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Broken English
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
' Wrote:I know this is being nitpicky and all, but just want to point out, it's gaijin, not gajin, it's something that's been bugging me a lot.. A lot of the Kusari people make this mistake, and it just bugs me:P

:blink:We've been doing it wrong!? Oh, no. I feel awful....

' Wrote:Yeah, it really should be Der Gottkanzler, the German word Kanzler is male.
It'd be Die Kanzlerin in the case of a female head of state.

Blame Adamantite Fist, I don't know enough German to know what chancellor is. I'm just a high school student...
Just to throw in my two cents here. I'd say that you should avoid whole sentences in another language, unless they're recognizable greetings of some sort. Like: "Guten Tag" for Rheinland or "Kunichiwa" for Kusari. Apart from that, just random iconic terms and expressions here and there. I'd say putting in whole sentences is pushing and will end up confusing people.

To avoid it, I'd say that if you really are about using whole sentences in another language, you should be sensible enough to provide an instant translation for it.

Example:
KNF Pilot: Towakemono! ((Fool!))
(Specially when you're about insulting someone)

All in all, I think it adds a nice flavor to role playing, but it should be used carefully and the one using it should pay attention and check if people are really getting what is being said. Adding context to the terms helps a great deal, I may not understand that particular term, but if the context surrounding it is clear enough, I can have a good hint of it.

We should all consider that the spirit is that we understand each other to avoid confusion and grievances. That comes first, if you have to drop the "accent", do so for the sake of clear communication.
Oh... so it's der Gottkanzler? Whoops...
so i am here, america understand me?

tango, need loud and clear...

english is old language for me... i speek portuguese... and this is my country... i dont go to uk or to us for a gameplay...

need my shyp

and other image is ikaro in your bs kusari farmer aliance id infront killing RoS.

is that...

and GRONATH translate plz
At least i prefer british english please, thank you.

And please stop spreading wrong german language.
I don't care at all.

About 'Gottkanzler': Funny, if you are not Bavarian...

:D
Some changes....
[quote name='Baconsoda' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:51 PM' post='269040']
Yes sir....

Credit goes to Zelot for the work on these Japanese ones:

Japanese (Kusari):

Hello- Konichiwa
Good Bye- Sayonara
Good Morning- Ohaiyu
Good Evening- Konbanwa
Yes- Hai
No- Iie
Thank you- Arigato
Cheers- Kanpai
Good Luck- Genki de ne!
I'm sorry- Gomen asai
See you later- Jan Ai
Long Life/Hurrah- Banzai
Let's Go!- Ikuzo
Fool- Towakemono
Enemy: Kataki
Death: Takai
Gun-Boat: Hou-fune
Destroyer: Hakaisha
Battle-Ship: Kaisen-fune
Foreigner : Gaijin

ichi: 1
ni: 2
san: 3
yon: 4
go: 5

' Wrote:so i am here, america understand me?

tango, need loud and clear...

english is old language for me... i speek portuguese... and this is my country... i dont go to uk or to us for a gameplay...

need my shyp

and other image is ikaro in your bs kusari farmer aliance id infront killing RoS.

is that...

and GRONATH translate plz
Uh? It seems I've missed something here.
I agree with the idea of a dictionary, (maybe in discovery wiki), it would be nice to have a glosary (with examples and all) of commonly used german/spanish/japanese terms. It could also be a good way to encourage RP, since i can?t for example, use japanese words with my kusarian char mainly because i dont speak japanese, that way we could also avoid translation errors.
So, are we going to make a dictionary thread, or is this going to be lost in the anals of the forum (where only weirdos like me go and look at extremely old threads that actually have Igiss talking in them)?
Pages: 1 2 3 4