Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What is "Suicide trading"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I will quickly add my thoughts here:

I have nothing against people trying to make money. If I see multiboxers, I let them be, because the person just wants a ship he likes to fly and have fun and I am not above him to deny him that right. Perhaps he would do better RPing a cruiser than a fighter, who knows.

What I DO know is that RP demands credits and some of us do not have the time to powertrade or mine all day, so these people resort to many other ways of getting money.

So why don't we just give everyone 1 bil starting credits and let them choose their own ships?
Well, there is a reason why Disco of Disco was smaller than the official server.
Lol first time I heard about this, why should a player do this thing when he could earn 2x the same $ from closing the route. I usually buy from X go to Y then coming back, but might stop at W then coming to Y (might earn extra $) and for me this is very profitable. But, this is me, probably there are much shorter routes then I have and with a much bigger income what probably might worth to do this thing.
But I agree with a NO, at a certain point might being looked as an "exploit" thing.
(01-03-2013, 12:38 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I will quickly add my thoughts here:

I have nothing against people trying to make money. If I see multiboxers, I let them be, because the person just wants a ship he likes to fly and have fun and I am not above him to deny him that right. Perhaps he would do better RPing a cruiser than a fighter, who knows.

What I DO know is that RP demands credits and some of us do not have the time to powertrade or mine all day, so these people resort to many other ways of getting money.

So why don't we just give everyone 1 bil starting credits and let them choose their own ships?
Well, there is a reason why Disco of Disco was smaller than the official server.

Thats a ridiculous idea, the server would be dead if you did that. Traders ferrying goods or ore is crucial to the game and a lifeline. Pirates prey and feed off those traders, without them there would be no piracy. With one of the main activities of pirate player gone, there would be less pirates. With less pirates, there would be less for the police, militaries and bounty hunters to do. Getting rid of the need for traders (or decreasing the numbers of them) has a knock on effect.

More Traders = more pirates = more police, navy, bounty hunters

This also applies to suicide trading. Suicide trading DOES harm gameplay, as through it you can (supposedly) make more money, which means less runs = less for pirates to do. And the unpredictability caused by traders suddenly respawning half way across sirius with no return trips also could hurt pirates.
You do realize that I in fact agreed that it is a bad thing at the end of my post, right? No need to go OHMERGERD on me.
Suicide trading as a good thing? Uhm, no.
(01-03-2013, 09:47 AM)Zynth Wrote: [ -> ]Luka, explain to me in detail:
How is a tradeship exploding and somehow magically teleporting back to it's point of embarkation in any way RP.

What? Perhaps a cargo ship somewhere that sinks in the middle of the ocean suddenly reappears unharmed (minus cargo) at a port?

Eh...no. I believe a trader wanting money is inRP. Scuttling a ship after transferring your load doesn't make any sense inRP though.

And no, don't bother bringing in people suiciding for guns to prove your point. Saying that "This is ok because other people do that." is -NOT- a valid argument. It's like saying it's ok to do drugs because people kill each other. Makes no sense

And yes, this is also a metagaming issue.

Oh and on topic about suicide trading: Don't.

Yeah, that's the whole point of my criticism to the RP, it's waaaay too overzealously protected, to the point of ruining fun for the sake of RP, it's a game, not 2nd real life in space.
It doesn't make sense inRP for them to pass money to other people either, like a cruiser captain or a fighter pilot, traders trade for themselves and/or their company inRP; neither does make sense inRP ships crashing into planets just for losing a gun.
And yes I bother....Actually that logic is strange, that analogy doesn't explain anything, and actually both are kinda alike, one's done for commercial purpose (return to starting point for buying stuff to sell), the other too (return to starting point for NOT having to buy), both are just as OORP since you somehow win money from a previous status with them, and both make pretty much all the sense in the world.
Now, my point is that it's more a problem of exploiting the game features than metagaming.

(01-03-2013, 09:12 AM)Starsunder Wrote: [ -> ]1) If you came to an RP server expecting little/no RP, I can't help you. I really can't.
2) There are people who, after years of playing, still prefer flying fighters over any other shiptype.
3) If the game isn't fun for you, maybe you should consider switching games.

EDIT:
Oh, and
4) This is sooo off topic.

1) I came to a main server with the most people expecting interaction, I never cared about RP or stories anyways, just fighting.
2) And have alts, now try to trade to get several characters a ship, armor, shield, thruster and nukes, or worse when it's a bomber, then you have to add the SNAC and some other things, then get money for getting a bigger transport, you don't need a BS or cruiser to need to trade, also codies if you're planning to buy them. I'm excluding missile ships as particular cases
3) Did several times, then came back. It becomes off-topic because other people seem to just take that part of my post >.>

(01-03-2013, 04:34 PM)Lonely Werewolf Wrote: [ -> ]This also applies to suicide trading. Suicide trading DOES harm gameplay, as through it you can (supposedly) make more money, which means less runs = less for pirates to do. And the unpredictability caused by traders suddenly respawning half way across sirius with no return trips also could hurt pirates.

You're missing the point, suicide trading doesn't mean more money, it means saving time, not wasting runs coming back to the main base empty, and actually, more money = more interest for pirates, it's kind of the same unpredictability anyways, since if traders were coming back the blank way, they could take an alternate route, or pull off a lane before getting to a pirate and cruising away from CD range, no much difference except if the pirate is at the trading starting point or ending point.
well...in some part....i agree with this...but Side effects are Horrible ,

you know...Its not like people do not get bored of RP'ing.

when the Most Best RP'ers get bored, they can be The Most Best Trollers in Disco. 100% sure about this.

cuz after a while a change is needed.
I'd like to point out that action would be taken due to exploiting the game engine. Same as any other exploit, there will be repercussions when you're caught. Don't do it. Xoria's set up a nicely robust trade system that means you don't have to travel anywhere empty. Pick up another cargo and try a ring-route. A-B routes have mostly been eliminated.

If you're really upset about this, alleviate the problem with player bases and roleplay. Contact a miner faction on both ends of the route and have them stock ore for you. A good example would be Bowex and Daumann establishing an ore chain through Bretonia and Rheinland.

Suicide trading is an exploit and can't be justified. As I said before, don't do it.
(01-03-2013, 07:36 PM)Luka Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that's the whole point of my criticism to the RP

(01-03-2013, 07:36 PM)Luka Wrote: [ -> ]1) I came to a main server with the most people expecting interaction, I never cared about RP or stories anyways, just fighting.

That is the main issue with you and your way of thinking here. While this may be a "main" server (with the highest popularity of all), this is also a RolePlay server (hence the name Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7, higlighted for more visibility), which you tend to forget. You even admit you have never cared about it, then explain me, what gives you the right to criticize it? What do you expect from the rest of the community after this? Seriously...

Ontopic: Suicide trading is baaaad for your health. An exploit of game mechanics, which does not contribute to the overall RolePlay of the server. (even if some decides to disregard this)
(01-03-2013, 07:36 PM)Luka Wrote: [ -> ]Now, my point is that it's more a problem of exploiting the game features than metagaming.

Isn't the exploitation of the game's features metagaming?

Ok, on retrospect, my analogy was a bit off.
The concept I'm trying to put forth is that just because people don't roleplay, doesn't mean you can completely disregard it instantly. I think a better analogy would be you seeing people commit crimes and think "Hey, those guys commit crimes, why don't I do the same too?"

And....I don't care what you say or how you say it, doing suicide trading, be it a matter of "saving time" or earning more credits is stupid and sanctionable. There's a reason it's in the rules and there's a reason it hasn't been removed from the rules.

You "don't care for RP" so why the hell are you discussing it's implications on the server anyway? Why even bother to create a forum account? Go around in Liberty in a pirate ship or go PvP whore in Conn. Since you're looking for shoots and that's it, just stay there. Ignore all our petty squabbling over RP and balance, you don't care right?

Anyway, stop arguing over all of this crap, the topic is asking what is suicide trading, it has already been answered and it has already been confirmed to be sanctionable. Don't want to start an unrelated discussion because somebody said something completely stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5