Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hone's thread of rule removal.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think we can all agree that less rules is good. Less rules = Less work for admins, easier for new players to understand, less time spent worrying about rules/rulelawyering, and more time enjoying the game. Admins themselves have said it, new players have said it, everyone has said it.

So lets look at the rules, and see if we can find some good solutions for removing some, Here's my ideas, please note that these are all just suggestions, modifiable, Im not even necessarily saying we should institute ALL of them at the same time. removing one rule, may make it preferable to keep another, I'm just giving all the options I see.

3.1 Using coarse language, posting abusive, hateful, racist content in chat, public or private is prohibited under any circumstances. Any kind of flaming, threatening or insulting language directed at other members, factions or server administrators in chat, public or private, is prohibited on server and on forums. RP-related threats are allowed on the server.

Lets face it; Everyone who has access to the internet has seen much worse, sorry parents, but your child is not stopped by your parental controls. Besides, sticks and stones may break my bones but words cant actually hurt you. Seriously, a different combination of type isnt physically hurtful. Sure it can be emotionally hurtful if aimed at you, but when swearing at another CHARACTER INRP, shouldnt that be only as hurtful as (or much less than) shooting at them? I say keep the ban on swearing oorp, but if we allowed swearing inrp, that should alleviate some admin work.

5.2 All attacks must be the result of some form of role play. "Engaging" is not sufficient. An attack is any hostile action that drains shields to less than 50%. Being hit with a CD is not considered an attack. If a player is attacked he has a right to defend himself regardless of who is attacking.

This ones a funny one, because it doesnt actually need removing, in fact Id argue against it, just reinterpreting. You'll notice that in the rule it doesnt say anything about talking before an attack, just that it must be the result of RP. Now sanctions for "Silent Attacking" must be one of the most common admin work I see, but couldnt silent attacks BE the result of RP most of the time? Two houses with a formal decleration of war, why would their pilots waste time talking to each other before shooting? Or a pirate/bounty hunter ambush, why tip your target off by telling them you're going to shoot? A lot of time could be saved by allowing silent attacks that are INRP.

5.6 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in range of the ship you were fighting counts as PVP death. Transports and freighters are exempt from this rule.

Ah the old fleeing rule, most of us agree its much better since half of it was removed, how could we remove all of it without breaking balance? Well, Id say the simplest way would be to make normal bases like POBs, that is, when shot, they put up a shield and become undockable. That would prevent ships constantly docking and resupplying on a nearby base, as long as the attackers shot a cd at it every minute or so. And if the attackers failed to keep the shield up, thats their own fault, and there'd be no need to sanction peopel for docking and re-engaging.

5.7 A player who was killed in a PvP fight must not enter the system where the fight took place with any of the characters on his/her account(s) until four hours have passed from the time of his/her destruction.

If the player respawns in the same system, he/she must leave the system within 10 minutes of his destruction without attacking anyone, except in self-defense. Other players are not allowed to attack one who is leaving.

5.8 A player who was killed in a PvP fight must not attack the enemy (player or players involved in the death) with any of the characters on his/her account(s) for 4 hours. Self-killing during a PvP fight is counted as a normal PvP death.

The 4 hour death rules, the old classics. Well I'm sure you are sick of this, but we could replace this rule with shiploss on death. No need to have a rule that can be broken, and force admins to spend time on sanctions. If they already get punished by losing their ship. Of course this would require balancing, such as reducing price, and increasing availability, so you wouldnt have to traipse halfway across sirius to replace your stuff.

5.9 Disconnecting from the server in a PvP fight to escape, as well as in any other situation that involves player interaction, is not allowed. If you lose server connection during a player interaction, you should get back in game quickly to continue the interaction, with the other player's permission. If that is not possible, then post on the forums and PM the players involved.

At the moment when someone DCs they stay in space with no shield for a little while, this usually allows the person they DCd against to kill them. If this time could be extended, perhaps ted to hull strength - the higher your hull, the longer you stay floating - and that annoying tendency for DCing players to drift off, making them unhittable was removed, then this rule could be removed too. Now instead of getting sanctioned, people would simply be very vulnerable to being blown up if they DC. Those who say itl make it take too long for them to switch chars, i say either dock, or make the chars you know you will be doing this a lot on, on their own account, so you can just switch accounts. This has got to be one of the most common sanctions, so removing it should free up a lot of time.

6.6 Aggressors are not allowed to destroy a trade vessel prior to issuing a demand, in system or local chat, and allowing sufficient time to respond. Demands may be cargo, credits or an RP demand, such as leaving the system. "Halt" is not a demand. You must say more than this to ask a ship to stop however you may destroy them if they attempt escape.

Sometimes, a pirate just wants to kill you and take all your stuff. Now I generally wouldnt advise attacking a transport without a demand, as you're more likely to be able to cut a deal that benefits you both if you talk to him, but sometimes a silent ambush is the best tactic. And it is INRP. Its not nice, but its INRP for a pirate not to be nice. It's another popular sanction which wastes the admin's time, and a /1 drop all your cargo message has pretty much the same effect anyway. im not saying its preferable to have silent attackers, Im just saying its not worth having a rule against it.

Phew, now Im going to bed, what do you think?
3.1 should stay.

Bypass in RP character with such lines as "Darn you" or "Frigging hell".

5.2 Its not a TEAM DEATHMATCH server. It should stay as it is. Why would GRN decide to 'capture' your character then?

5.6 Stays. You dont make any sence, and only think about PVP here. Transports are traders, not pvp gods. Transports should never be able to get shot infront of a base/planed anyway. Half the pew pew comes from pirates destroying traders. Add a shield to bases and Transports will never be safe anymore, especially faction oriented bases and players. (IMG transports at Java for instance that wont be able to dock to safety if OC destroyer decides to fly to Java).

5.7 - Dont remove, shorten the time thou.

5.7 - Same as above.

5.9 - Impossible. When someone dc's a standard game engine time out is running. Unless DC mod team can patch FL vanilla - it is impossible.

6.6 - Its called - ROLEPLAY -. Setting up an ambush is fine. The players behind the pirate characters should rp it as a thrill for an trader. This rule stays too.

Basiccally, What I am saying here especially at 6.6 is. If Pirates not a lolwut, and actually can lead an RP, the rule should stay, because 6.6 prevents rules like 5.2,

I also dotn see how its 'Inrp' for a pirate to not be able to be nice. Your in your own fantasy world there with no knowledge about history of pirates as in medieval times. Not this somali stuff you got currently going.
Hm, you're right that 'less rules are better' - but I'm pretty sure that the admin team has put a lot of work into the existing ones and are always trying to balance them.

3.1 ...RP-related threats are allowed on the server.

You are allowed to swear/insult as long as it fits your roleplay. Of course harsh words are to be avoided, it's just a rule for nice behaviour. Give your insults more creativity/fantasy instead of using one-word-insults. I'm pretty sure that most of the 3.1 sanctions are OOC swearing anyways.

5.2 All attacks must be the result of some form of role play...

If your and your enemy's IDs allow it, and if there has been a roleplay situation before, you can actually silent engage him or even insta-kill your target (although this might harm 0.0). In my opinion it's much better to roleplay before an engagement and trying to suprise your opponent (even in the middle of a talking if it fits the situation), instead of just dropping a /l1. This rule just exists for non-RP-orientated players who see roleplay only as necessity. Here again, be creative and try to think of something new when encountering a clear hostile.

(01-21-2013, 03:29 PM)ProwlerPC Wrote: [ -> ]One of the most common mistake I found by far that I don't consider to be malicious reporting but an honest mistake is the RP before PvP rule. There is an enormous amount of people who seem to mistakenly think that this translates to 'give a clear and precise engagement notice before PvP'. But the actual real translation is in fact 'RP before PvP'

5.6 ...Transports and freighters are exempt from this rule.

I like your idea of that base shield, though since this rule only applies for combat vessels, I'd let it stay. Maybe allow people to switch to other character's ships for reengagements (most people do that anyways because it's hard to track).

5.7/5.8 ...four hours have passed from the time of his/her destruction.

One of the rules which appear as message on the server quite often and thus rather important. It's a matter of roleplay, that your character is actually thought to be dead/missed, and it'd take a while until his/her escape pod being rescued. InRP he'd have to get a new ship which should take at least 4 hours. I'm ok with this rule since I always log off or switch when being destroyed anyways. Ship loss on death would be fatal for the game balance. I doubt that being forced to play 'hardcore mode' would cause chaos amongst the community. Just imagine a BS player loosing his ship with CAU8, BS Scanner and Cloak/Hyperjump/DM (that'd be a loss of ~2 billions?!). Sure - balancing. That'll just kill the whole economy and give devs/admin even more work. Just no.

5.9 ...situation that involves player interaction...

This rule should stay, since f1'ing on purpose is a fun-killer. It shows that people aren't interested in roleplaying on a RP server. Of course there's a difference between people willing to RP (and lacking a good ping/connection) and silent traders. People who report the former are simply sanctionlancers. If there wouldn't exist people randomly lagging off the server quite often, I'd say to make f1'ing ships explode by theirselves. If people will know that - they won't f1. And why to report someone when you didn't suffered a disadvantage?

6.6 ...destroy them if they attempt escape.

Almost every trader will try to escape when a pirate/unlawful shows up, which already gives you the right to kill it (even without talking before?). However, if that isn't the case, I think that it'd be fair to at least inform the trader inRP, what your aim is. Example: a bank robber silently entering a bank and shooting employees instead of asking for money/goods isn't 'realistic', too!?
Just going to comment on the swearing rule.

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=24090&tab=controls

T for Teen.

"TEEN
Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

So if little kids are not allowed to play here and the game is rated T for strong language. Why do we have this rule?

If I get flipped off by someone's character inagme, I should have all right to tell them to go have sexual intercourse with a cactus.
(01-26-2013, 11:06 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=24090&tab=controls

T for Teen.

"TEEN
Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

So if little kids are not allowed to play here and the game is rated T for strong language. Why do we have this rule?

If I get flipped off by someone's character inagme, I should have all right to tell them to go have sexual intercourse with a cactus.

+1 just saying
Well, I can't agree with most terms, since it's RP server, noone will follow recomendations, but most of people will follow rules.
But shiploss on death makes perfect sence. If it will be done in .87, game'll become VERY interesting.
In my eyes the only rule which causes problems for me is the engagement notice and the RP before,dropping a few /setmsg before engagement or simply the all common: Assisting < Enter faction/Playername here > should be sanctionable too.So the people are forced to do real RP before they pew pew instead of just who drops the messages within 0.000001 sec earlier so that the other one can't react to it.

just my two cents
(01-26-2013, 11:06 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Just going to comment on the swearing rule.

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=24090&tab=controls

T for Teen.

"TEEN

Personally, I'm happy this rule exists, and I don't think removing it would be a good idea at all. The rule against coarse language can be restricting sometimes, especially to the vocabulary of a drunk pirate, I admit. Yet I also think the prohibition of coarse language, abusive, hateful, racist content covers more than just telling someone to go have intercourse with a cactus. Besides, those PEGI/ESRB restrictions aren't to be seen that strictly in multiplayer anyway. However, what's much more important to me is the second, bold part.
Quote:3.1 Using coarse language, posting abusive, hateful, racist content in chat, public or private is prohibited under any circumstances. Any kind of flaming, threatening or insulting language directed at other members, factions or server administrators in chat, public or private, is prohibited on server and on forums. RP-related threats are allowed on the server.
If you let people insult each other, even on a personal level, you'll see no end to it. You know how much some users on the internet like to flame and troll, you know how little inhibition people have to insult someone online. If you want to experience this kind of community, then I believe there are plenty for you to visit. I don't think it would improve the atmosphere of the community. Restricting it to "in roleplay only" doesn't work so well either, you know some players have problems telling the difference, some will abuse this grey area and I believe it's better not to open that can of worms. At the end of the day, do you lose so much in return for having people try to treat each other nicely for a change?

EDIT: I also think all of the other rule removal suggestions are horrible ideas. Others have already explained why, so I won't write another essay about it.
I'll speak on some of this not just as an admin but as a player and parent.

Quote:3.1 Using coarse language, posting abusive, hateful, racist content in chat, public or private is prohibited under any circumstances. Any kind of flaming, threatening or insulting language directed at other members, factions or server administrators in chat, public or private, is prohibited on server and on forums. RP-related threats are allowed on the server.
I stand by this one. Bypassing it with intentional mispellings will still land you a few days off, at least it will with me. Yes, we do hear language in schools and wherever we go. I even pick up new words in new languages when I screw something up working but in server, I keep it clean.
If we do this:
Quote:You are allowed to swear/insult as long as it fits your roleplay. Of course harsh words are to be avoided, it's just a rule for nice behaviour. Give your insults more creativity/fantasy instead of using one-word-insults. I'm pretty sure that most of the 3.1 sanctions are OOC swearing anyways.
I see MORE work for us admins. Everyone interprets things differently and players toe the lines we set.
Less rules? It would turn this server into a brawling pot. If I want that, I'll re-load Team Fortress.

Quote:5.2 All attacks must be the result of some form of role play. "Engaging" is not sufficient. An attack is any hostile action that drains shields to less than 50%. Being hit with a CD is not considered an attack. If a player is attacked he has a right to defend himself regardless of who is attacking.
Simply put, this is a roll play server and yes, a player that is attacked has the right to defend. Sadly, we do have a lot of silent killers on this server and many of them are new players that probably didn't read the rules before playing.

Quote: Maybe allow people to switch to other character's ships for reengagements (most people do that anyways because it's hard to track).
No, Narcotic, is isn't hard to track and the burn is worse if you try hiding it. This rule is in place to prevent a lot of the revenge killings going on.

Quote:5.6 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in range of the ship you were fighting counts as PVP death. Transports and freighters are exempt from this rule.

Ah the old fleeing rule, most of us agree its much better since half of it was removed, how could we remove all of it without breaking balance? Well, Id say the simplest way would be to make normal bases like POBs, that is, when shot, they put up a shield and become undockable. That would prevent ships constantly docking and resupplying on a nearby base, as long as the attackers shot a cd at it every minute or so. And if the attackers failed to keep the shield up, thats their own fault, and there'd be no need to sanction peopel for docking and re-engaging.

A few things here. A can of worms is being opened with the base proposal idea. I see players just "base shooting" for no real good reason. I could see the Bretonian Crown, Corsairs or the many other visitors around Freeport 1 doing this. Player bases yes. Regular bases no.
Players need to play and if theres a violation then they need to play on, say nothing and report it.

Just a few thoughts.
(01-26-2013, 11:25 AM)Jacen_Solo Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I can't agree with most terms, since it's RP server, noone will follow recomendations, but most of people will follow rules.
But shiploss on death makes perfect sence. If it will be done in .87, game'll become VERY interesting.

I would like to respond that this should never happen. If this was the cause, with ships being as expensive as they are. everyone would create a miner, grind credits, and rebuy that ship.

Now, Thats not the problem, the problem here is that everything, and everything is pricey. This would kill the server if this would keep happening to everyone (Because not everyone spends 5 hours trading), and would also make Connecticut useless.
Pages: 1 2 3