Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Relevant cargo pods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A quick look at where cargo pods are sold and I get the feeling that they were picked at random. For example, how come yellow cargo pods (the ones with the radio active signs on them) aren't sold at ALG stations or everywhere HazMat canisters are sold? That would make sense, wouldn't it?

If it is possible to do I would like to make cargo pods determine what kind of cargo you can haul.
*The yellow pod for toxic waste and radioactive materials, of course.
*Various liquids or gases in white and drab pods.
*Anything else in the other pods.

It would also make sense if cargo pods were sold wherever transports that use them are sold, like in Duluth Shipyard, Minnesota.
Why aren't transport turrets sold there, btw? You get them included with ship purchase but they don't sell them separately.
Sorry for double posting, but I want to bump this thread as I've got new ideas.

I think that the transports that use cargo pods should have the size of their cargo hold altered to reflect the number of cargo pods they can hold. This would mean that the Large Transport and the Train would have the same cargo space, but the Train would still have other advantages to warrants its higher price. The stork holds the most cargo pods (8) and its current cargo hold is 5000, so I suppose that would make each pod hold 625.

I don't know whether or not any of the following is possible. I'm just speculating on some ideas I have.
I have two ideas on how the cargo pods could be handled diffrently.

1. The type of cargo pods that you have determines what kind of cargo you can haul. Mixing diffrent kinds of pods is allowed and for each pod of a certain type you can hold 625 units of the kind of cargo it allows. If you don't have the maximum number of pods you don't have the maximum cargo space either.
2. You don't buy or use cargo pods at all. Instead when you buy commodities you automatically equip the cargo pod associated with that type of cargo. For every unit above a multiple of 625 another cargo pod spawns. If you hold no cargo you have no pods. If you have cargo space left but have the maximum number of pods only commodities associated with one of the pods with the empty space may be bought. Despite that pods spawn when commodities are bought, they should not when tractoring things in space and the maximum cargo space should be locked to the number of pods equiped.
1&2. In both cases you would lose the cargo a pod holds if it is destroyed.
Cargo pod sell locations are still from vanila Freelancer. Got to remember Hazmat ontainers are a Discovery add on.
(02-20-2013, 06:21 AM)ryoken Wrote: [ -> ]Cargo pod sell locations are still from vanila Freelancer. Got to remember Hazmat ontainers are a Discovery add on.

Ah, I think you'll find cargo pods weren't available (to players) in vanilla Freelancer!

On the subject of their sale locations: They have not been given any particular thought aside from having them available in each house, in a relatively accessible location.

Affecting cargo capacity: Not actually a new idea. It has been discussed before, and it would be nice if it could be implemented, but there are both balance and technical limitations in the way. For the former, not every transport has external pods, so when some transports get damaged they'd lose cargo; others would not. For the latter, that would require FLHook coding. Only Cannon, the lead Admin and Dev Commander in Chief, has got a decent grasp of making that code work. He's already busy doing everything else he needs to do to keep this place running, so adding new Hook-based is a luxury, and not so easy to implement.