Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lawful Pirating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

So I've noticed of late a massive amount of Lawful's in cruiser and up ships scanning smugglers and demanding "Fines".

As most know smuggling is not the most profitable trade route. It is done by people to RP and have fun.

So while the tradewhore's have rules to protect them, the RPing smugglers do not.

Does anyone think that should change?

Shouldn't lawful's who fine or demand contraband cargo be restricted to doing it in GB's or below?
um... smuggling makes more than trading does most of the time. You have more dangerous cargo to move, but you get more cash per unit from it.

I dont think any lawfuls should be 'fining' smugglers... rather destroying them and leaving it at that. The only time I can see a fine happening is if the lawful demands that the smuggler drops all cargo, destroys the cargo, and makes him pay 1-2 million for breaking the law.

There's been a lot of controversy about smugglers here lately anyways... if you dont want to get fined or blown up, dont get caught.
' Wrote:um... smuggling makes more than trading does most of the time. You have more dangerous cargo to move, but you get more cash per unit from it.

I dont think any lawfuls should be 'fining' smugglers... rather destroying them and leaving it at that. The only time I can see a fine happening is if the lawful demands that the smuggler drops all cargo, destroys the cargo, and makes him pay 1-2 million for breaking the law.

It should make more...much more..but it does not.

And I agree that lawfuls should be doing most of the above. But should they be doing it in Battleships and Cruisers?
Quote:um... smuggling makes more than trading does most of the time. You have more dangerous cargo to move, but you get more cash per unit from it.

Myth. Cardamine, Artifacts and so forth make hardly any profit compared to Niobium Diamonds / Boron Beryllium / Engine Components Prisoners etc. It may have a high profit per unit, but it takes ages to complete plus you always get attacked by lovely Liberty Cruisers and so on...

Personally, I think it is unfair that Cruisers and Battleships can scan for cargo and destroy a smuggler. It's also quite OORP, when you think about it. If pirate capitals cannot pirate, for reasons of "waste of resources" and "unfairness", why doesn't it apply for lawful capitals? Honestly, why would the Navy waste their resources and credits by commissioning massive capital ships just to scan cargo? Fighters can do the same job, and probably just as effective. The capital ships that I see scanning for smugglers maybe just want a quick and easy kill with big turrets...
' Wrote:It should make more...much more..but it does not.

This was suggested before, but people believed that making smuggling more lucrative would detract from trader RP, as all would smuggle instead of trading.

' Wrote:Myth. Cardamine, Artifacts and so forth make hardly any profit compared to Niobium Diamonds / Boron Beryllium / Engine Components Prisoners etc. It may have a high profit per unit, but it takes ages to complete plus you always get attacked by lovely Liberty Cruisers and so on...

Personally, I think it is unfair that Cruisers and Battleships can scan for cargo and destroy a smuggler. It's also quite OORP, when you think about it. If pirate capitals cannot pirate, for reasons of "waste of resources" and "unfairness", why doesn't it apply for lawful capitals? Honestly, why would the Navy waste their resources and credits by commissioning massive capital ships just to scan cargo? Fighters can do the same job, and probably just as effective. The capital ships that I see scanning for smugglers maybe just want a quick and easy kill with big turrets...

Rule Modification proposal?
I don't see a reason to change the rule here. Smuggling is supposed to be dangerous. That's the greater part of what makes it fun.
' Wrote:I don't see a reason to change the rule here. Smuggling is supposed to be dangerous. That's the greater part of what makes it fun.

Trading should be just as dangerous. The RP between smuggler and trader should be balanced. Currently, there is more weight on trading than smuggling.
What the smugglers here are forgetting is that they're generally 'immune' to anyone that the standard traders have to deal with.

Most smugglers are not pirated by any criminal factions. It's even easier as a junker - nobody but hogosha/xenos will typically attack you and your ZOI ranges over most of sirius.

So yea, you have to deal with lawfuls in caps, but most lawfuls are very focused on specific systems (liberty - new york, order - omicron minor/100, kusari - new tokyo, etc.) When you're a trader, the pirates you encounter can be found -everywhere-, and are much harder to avoid.
' Wrote:Trading should be just as dangerous. The RP between smuggler and trader should be balanced. Currently, there is more weight on trading than smuggling.

Actually, smuggling should be more dangerous. It should be more profitable to balance the danger, though.
' Wrote:I don't see a reason to change the rule here. Smuggling is supposed to be dangerous. That's the greater part of what makes it fun.

I've no problem with it being dangerous. But being stopped by a Liberty BS with a Liberty Cruiser as backup while I am in an Adv. Train.....that's just....a bit silly.

Now I pop into the system and am swarmed by fighters, bombers, and a gunboat or 2...that's fun and interesting.

Another BIG issue I have with smuggling is that Liberty is almost the sole consumer. That has got to SUCK at times for the Lawfuls there. It also sucks for anyone who wants to play a smuggler some where else. It would be really nice if we had a few more contraband type cargo items. Each house or major criminal element should have something really juicy that's illegal everywere else. Bretonia space would have something Rheinland wants but has outlawed, and vice versa. Maybe give the Zoner bases in the Omega's something the Kusari people cant live without..but has been banned from Kusari space by the Goverment.

At the moment if you smuggle and want to make any money you take your contraband to Liberty..would be nice if you could smuggle things, and make a profit, to other places.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5