Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: So Very Lost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everybody. I'm Joe. I'm kind of new here. I've been playing Freelancer off and on for years, been RPing mostly on for many more years, and didn't until recently realize that I could do both at the same time. So this seems like a lot of fun.

That being said, I spent an hour or so in game and I'm completely confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing and not doing. I keep dying, sometimes without knowing why. I can't seem to get involved with my chosen faction, and I'm not sure I even should considering no one else seems involved with them from what I'm seeing on the wiki and the boards. I've read everything I can find to read and I still don't know what I'm doing. I feel pathetic.

Edit: Right, forgot to add that. I had hopes of joining the Gaians.
Hi there! Welcome to Disco!

What is your chosen faction?
(02-27-2013, 03:23 AM)Gypsie Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there! Welcome to Disco!

What is your chosen faction?

He says Gaians.

And yea....
Haven't seen much of them lately. I DO however see them in conn from time to time so i know they are there,,,
Did you send and application to join the official faction? Are you in a skype chat with them?

That being said welcome to disco! If one faction doesn't work then I guess try another. For me at least I'm in LR- and [TBH] and im happy with how its going Big Grin. You're welcome to enlist if you want to.

As for the dying part... practice makes perfect i guess. Go to conn and shoot a few rounds with people. often enough they will point out a few things that you can improve on.

But yea.

Welcome and good luck out there in space!
I'd come to the conclusion upon further research that there doesn't seem to be an official Player Faction. At least, I can't seem to find mention of one past dead links on the Wiki. I tend to stay away from Skype, although it might be worth it to pick it back up if it's a major player here. As for the "conn" you reference, I'm not sure what that is.

Twice I was killed by a big ship seconds after coming out of the Leeds jump gate into Edinburgh. I have no idea who was blockading that gate or why because I didn't have time to move. The other deaths tend to revolve around starting in a ship that doesn't have the firepower to kill just about anything. But I can find ways around that.
Right.

Connecticut is a place where you can pvp as much as your heart desires. As long as the otehr person agrees to pvp with you. There is no RP required there. Just say "you wana pew (pew is slang for shoot)?" and if he agrees the fight Big Grin

As for the dying. I havn't been to Edinburgh so I wouldn't know for sure but I'm guessing maybe there is a enemy base there that attacks on sight??? Its a guessing in the dark so I'm not sure. If it really is a player that is shooting you for no reason then you might want to report that.

As for your starting ship. You wont be alive long with that thing. Not unless you are A) a skilled pilot and B) you have the proper armor upgrade installed. I would suggest that if you are starting out fresh then get a freighter and go some cargo run and get to know space. Then later upgrade to a proper transport. Once you have some money you can do whatever your little heart desires. Wink

On the other hand if you join an official faction then I am sure they will be more than happy to help get you set up and show you the ropes.
(02-27-2013, 04:28 AM)joethequietguy Wrote: [ -> ]I'd come to the conclusion upon further research that there doesn't seem to be an official Player Faction. At least, I can't seem to find mention of one past dead links on the Wiki. I tend to stay away from Skype, although it might be worth it to pick it back up if it's a major player here. As for the "conn" you reference, I'm not sure what that is.

Twice I was killed by a big ship seconds after coming out of the Leeds jump gate into Edinburgh. I have no idea who was blockading that gate or why because I didn't have time to move. The other deaths tend to revolve around starting in a ship that doesn't have the firepower to kill just about anything. But I can find ways around that.

In Edinburgh you have Gallic Valors near the Leeds gate, and unless you've shot their enemies (like NPCs, depots etc) to get a better rep. You should be on hostile terms with them, which means their Battleship which is stationed just by the gate will shoot you on sight. Try to get to Edinburgh via the Leeds-Edinburgh JH, that will also put you right by Islay base.

If you need more help with studying the ropes feel free to PM me.
As Pancakes said, there's a GRN stationary battleship directly on the other side of the gate. As a Gaian, you'll also have to contend with the BAF battleship on the Leeds side. Stationary battleships pack the hardest punch of any station, and those two in particular are known for instakilling any unwary player that jumps through.

The GRN - Gallic Royal Navy - are in a state of war with Bretonia, with Edinburgh acting as the fortified front line. The GRN currently have a no-fire agreement with the Gaians, so when you're repped up, you won't have to deal with one side st least.

There isn't currently an official Gaian faction, but a combination of new members and remnants of the last group are currently forming a faction called The Circle. If you're interested, I'd suggest sending Scout, Marburg or Kytan a PM here on the forum.

Skype is also highly recommended, as the primary communication tool the community uses. Makes coordinating and chatting much easier. If you need any other help, feel free to PM me.
No no no, Deep Space Engineering and the Liberty Rogues are where its at. XD

Just kidding, Gallia has some nice ships as well as nice basses, though the layout of their lanes and bases/stations IS a bit.... well the word i want to use will get me in trouble.

Anyway, if your ever in the area, give the LR a look up, well be glad to give you passage through our space (With a bit of persuasion) though if you're our enemy, don't expect a nice welcome.

Welcome to Disco.

Safe flying.
As another note for you, the wiki is terribly outdated. Don't use that, the faction info has its own section on the forums anyway.
(02-27-2013, 06:35 PM)Chrono Wrote: [ -> ]No no no, Deep Space Engineering and the Liberty Rogues are where its at. XD

Just kidding, Gallia has some nice ships as well as nice basses, though the layout of their lanes and bases/stations IS a bit.... well the word i want to use will get me in trouble.

Anyway, if your ever in the area, give the LR a look up, well be glad to give you passage through our space (With a bit of persuasion) though if you're our enemy, don't expect a nice welcome.

Welcome to Disco.

Safe flying.

Join LR-, we has cookies!
Pages: 1 2