Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New faction "Borg Collective"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hey there,

I have many ideas how we could bring some more action in the world of Discovery.
How would it be, if Sirius is haunted by the Borg Collective?
It would be a big surprise to see a Borg cube near Planet Manhattan or a fleet of cubes in Omicron-Iota, fighting against the Nomads, right?

I have experimented a bit with the Freelancer Explorer and created 3 new Maps for the new faction. I got no models of the Borg, so i have to improvise.
Videos about the project are at the end of this post.

[Image: Borg-s.PNG]

Description
The Borg were a pseudo-race of cybernetic beings, or cyborgs. No single individual truly existed within the Borg Collective (with the possible sole exception of the Borg Queen), as all Borg were linked into a hive mind. Their ultimate goal was the attainment of 'perfection' through the forcible assimilation of diverse sentient species, technologies, and knowledge. As a result, the Borg were among the most powerful and feared powers in the galaxy, without really being a true race at all.

History
As the nomad war ends in the jear 801 A.S. was thought, to have eliminated the threat. But what they did not know, was, that they have opened a hypergate that leads directly into a new nest of a more malignant species. The nomads have been defeated, but on the other side of the galaxy, a new threat becomes aware of sirius.

809 A.S. The Sirius Coalition Revolutionary Army, or SCRA for short, finished their work on a new communication technology, that was designed, to communicate with the earth. The new subspace communication phalanx allows to send messages over great distances, with conventionally technology that would be impossible.

809 A.S. The SCRA are sending the first messages to the earth and await an answer in about 2 weeks.

810 A.S. The SCRA have still not received a message from the earth. The Scientists are working on the problem and make multiple tests.

815 A.S. Strange signals with unknown signature achieve the communication phalanx and ensures attention among the SCRA. According to the first informations, the origin of the signals are not from the earth, they come from a unknown sector. After a successfully decipherment of the signal, they found a threatening message. The SCRA decides to remove all evidences and cover up everything.

817 A.S. Numerous ships from the Omicron systems are reported as missing and disappear without a trace. The Order starts an investigation and sends combat units to the affected areas. All other ships are asked to avoid the areas.

817 A.S. An hypergate to a unknown sector was discovered in Omicron Kappa. The Order decided to close the system and investigate the unknown sector. Omicron Kappa is officially designated as danger zone.

818 A.S. An emergency call of a cruiser out of the danger zone reached the headquarters of the Order and breaks after a few minutes again. Sighting several Borg ships confirmed! The Borg begin their attack on Sirius!

Identification of the Collective

Name:
The Borg Collective

Tag:
Borg|-

Logo:
Link

Origin:
Unknown

Home system:
Bra-1, Orion-Sector

Date of founding:
unknown

Founder(s):
unknown

Current leader(s):
SkyNet (as "The Borg Queen")

Base of operations:
Unicomplex, Bra-1

Primary role:
Assimilation of other valuable beings and technologies in the collective, to reach the highest possible physical and technical perfection.

Secondary role:
Elimination of species, that represents a threat for the collective.

Owned Bases:
- Unicomplex
- Unimatrix 01
- Transwarp Hub 01
- Transwarp Hub 02
- Transwarp Hub 03

Diplomacy:
Zoners - hostile
Corsairs - hostile
The Order - hostile
Nomads - at war

At the moment, all other sirius factions are unknown for the collective.

Assimilation state:
Species 10052; Nomads - Assimilation is pointless, elimination is necessary!
Species 5618; Humans
  • Group 01; Zoners - Insufficient data, requires assimilation
  • Group 02; Corsairs - Violent, brutal and primitive but well equipped
  • Group 03; The Order - Interesting individuals, organized and technologically advanced

Borg Collective ID:
Pilot carrying this ID is a member of the Borg Collective, who:
  • Can freely engage any ship anywhere.
  • Can start assimilations, to collect more members for the Collective.
  • May ignore or destroy ships they are unworthy of assimilation.
  • May carry and use any form of technology that have been assimilated.
  • Cannot demand credits. Money is irrelevant!
  • Cannot land anywhere except Borg bases.
  • Must follow the instructions of the Borg queen. Resistance is futile!
Allowed ships: Fighters, Bombers, Freighters, Transports, Gunboats, Cruisers, Battleships.

Systems of the Collective

Bra-8

Description:
Bra-8 is a single-star system in the middle of the Orion main nebula. Orion is known for its intense red fog banks. As nice as this place may seem so dangerous is it in reality. The Borg are active in this system and operate a outpost in the orbit of the gas giant. Sometimes, some nomads flying around in this area and try to break through the defences.
In the middle of the nebula were discovered large accumulations of Deuterium ice. These show indeed some impurities, but by some industrial processes they can be separated easily. Some deuterium fields are too close to the star and have been liquefied or are gaseous which makes the mining immense difficult.
Also located in this area, a old nomad city, destroyed by the Collective in the year 801 A.S. as the nomads came from Sirius.

Local factions:
Lawful
- None known

Unlawful
- The Borg Collective
- Nomads

Planets:
- Planet Grisey (Uninhabited)
- Planet Ladria (Uninhabited)
- Planet Loriel (Uninhabited)
- Planet Lemis (Uninhabited)

Stations:
Transwarp Hub 03

Commodities:
Produced
- None known

Mineable
- Deuterium

System map:
Link

Bra-12

Description:
The complete system is enveloped with radiogenic particles which apparently was caused by weapons fire and destroyed reactors. Planet Angaria, the homeworld of a long forgotten culture, or what's left of it, assimilated by the Borg. The inhabitants of this planet have obviously defended itself against the Borg, without success. By the conflict with the Borg emerged large quantities of scrap, who distributes itself with the time in the system. Here can be found some useful things, such as weapons of the old civilisation. The Borg collect the scrap parts and use them again to build ships and structures.

Local factions:
Lawful
- None known

Unlawful
- The Borg Collective

Planets:
- Planet Angaria (Uninhabited)
- Planet Blex (Uninhabited)

Stations:
Transwarp Hub 02

Commodities:
Produced
- None known

Mineable
- Scrap Metal

System map:
Link

Bra-1

Description:
The Unicomplex, a gigantic complex built by the Borg, in the dark, cold space. This seems to be their home. Each structure is connected by a kind of transport system with the complex. A belt made of scrap metal circles in a stable orbit around the area. The Borg use the debris for expansion of their stations or for the shipbuilding.

Local factions:
Lawful
- None known

Unlawful
- The Borg Collective

Planets:
- None known

Stations:
Unicomplex
Unimatrix 01
Transwarp Hub 01

Commodities:
Produced
- None known

Mineable
- Scrap Metal

System map:
Link

Technology of the Collective

Ships:
Borg Suport Probe
Ship type = Repair Ship
Description = The Borg Support Probe has a high energy storage to supply allied Borg ships with big amounts of auxiliary energy. Due to the small size of the probe is the machine core very small and the regeneration rate is slow.
Buying Locations = Unicomplex, Unimatrix 01

Borg Intercept Probe
Ship type = Gunboat
Description = These ships are relatively "small" and are given for different purposes. First, for the detection of new technologies and other civilizations, which can be integrated into the collective. Secondly, for the destruction of smaller units, like fighters or bombers. While the Intercept Probe can even perform minor assimilation, however, this task is usually performed by cubes.

Borg Sphere
Ship type = Cruiser
Description = The Borg Sphere is used for various purposes by the collective. First, it serves as an operational ship for additional cubes of class 3, the sphere can act as a rescue ship. Secondly, this spaceship perform separate attacks on planets and assimilations of entire species.
The design is based, similar to the cube based on a simple geometric body: the ball.

Borg Tactical Cube
Ship type = Carrier
Description = A cube of class 4 is based on the standard model, but is a major improvement. This can be seen already in the outer armor shell that enhances the outer hull enormous. A tactical cube is much heavier to destroy and as much more maneuverable than its predecessor.

Borg Cube
Ship type = Battleship
Description = The class 2 cubes are the so-called standard cubes, which are based on the other ships of the collective. On the edges of this cube-shaped spaceship measures exactly 2,000 meters, ie, each of the six areas has a size of 4 square kilometers.

Weapons:
Borg Plasma Type 1
Description = Heavily modified and very complex. This is a typical weapon of the Collective. The true origin of this piece of technology is unknown.
The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that this is a plasma-based weapon. Not more is known.

Comment = Available as: Turrets Class 4 to 10

Borg Plasma Type 2
Description = Heavily modified and very complex. This is a typical weapon of the Collective. The true origin of this piece of technology is unknown.
The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that this is a plasma-based weapon. Not more is known.

Borg Ion Pulse Cannon
Description = An high frequency electromagnetic ion pulse, which hits the shield of the target and overload the shield emitters. The ship's hull remains intact.
The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that that is a pulse-based weapon. Not more is known.

Borg Desolator
Description = A long range weapon that fires series of concentrated charges of antimatter and demolecularize the hull of the impacted ship. The energy distribution and projectors are heavily modified.
The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that this is a antimatter cannon. Not more is known.

Comment = Available as: Turrets Class 6 to 10

Equipment:
Borg Cruise Disruptor
Description = A small electromagnetically charged pulse which is attracted by engine signatures of a targeted ship and disrupts his engines.

The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that this is a cruise disruptor. Not more is known.

Comment = Available as: Cruise Disruptor

Borg Countermeasure Dropper
Description = Strong gravimetric charges attract all explosive devices in a short range and make them harmless
The technical details of this weapons are very inaccurate but all available data suggest, that this is a countermeasure dropper. Not more is known.

Comment = Available as: Countermeasure Dropper

Borg Deflector Shield
Shield Type = Deflector Shield
Description = This shield can change his frequencies by enemy weapons fire and achieving a much higher efficiency than conventional shields. Disadvantage is the high energy consumption.

Comment = Available as: Shields Class 7 to 10

Multiphase Power Converter
Description = A fully automated supply network with overclocked power distribution units that automatically adjust to incompatible energy consumers. It compensates the energy loss and allows to supply several different weapon systems at the same time. This module is part of every Borg ship. The construction of this objekt is awesome and comes pretty close to the perfection.

Comment = Available as: Module / You can reproduce the Multiphase Power Converter at a Player base

Commodities:
Borg Drone
Description = A drone was an assimilated individual augmented with Borg technology and capable of assimilating others, be it an individual or technology, into the Collective. After assimilation a drone possessed no sense of individuality and served only the Collective.
Attention! This Object is extremely dangerous! You could be assimilated!

Comment = Is needet to rebuild the Multiphase Power Converter. Can be sold for a good price.
Buying Locations = None, can only be dropped by a Borg NPC

Contraband = The following houses prohibit the possession of this item, and may flag your ship as hostile:
  • Republic of Liberty
  • Kingdom of Bretonia
  • Federal Republic of Rheinland
  • Kusari Empire
  • Kingdom of Gallia

Video presentations

Tour through the Orion-Sector

I would like to know, from the community, administration and the developers, exists interest to this faction? What do you think about this project? Do you want the Borg Collective in Discovery?
If yes, I will continue working on the project and present more informations soon.

If you got questions, write it down in this thread or send it via private message to me. I am open to new suggestions.

I have to apologize for my broken english. It is hard to translate the hole technical language Smile

"Contraband = The following houses prohibit the possession of this item, and may flag your ship as hostile:

Republic of Liberty
Kingdom of Bretonia
Federal Republic of Rheinland
Kusari Empire
Kingdom of Gallia"

Does that mean my RHA char can have his own pet borg drone?
cubes raiding gamma...and NY.

imho mixing star trek is somewhat not awesome at all.
nah. Too star treky. The Discoverse ain't too keen on blatant crossovers
It's obvious that you've put quite some effort into that.

Just two things:
- I thought that Discovery is against having imports.
- The ID and dimplomacy reminds me of the Phantoms.

Is this supposed to be a terrorist faction who pew everything on sight?
I thought that was the Nomads role here.
Imports = bad
Having Klingons acting as Zoners is bad enough

Although you put a lot of work into this, it would be a better plan to channel that enthusiasm into an existing faction that needs a group
Impressive!
(03-09-2013, 06:08 PM)Safe Haven Wrote: [ -> ]Imports = bad
Having Klingons acting as Zoners is bad enough
Heh! Where individuals are involved, you could always just look at it differently.

What I do is, roll with it & see it all as people/persons who run under the delusion of being Klingon. I figure that in the Discoverse, ST is an almost Millennium old entertainment series that was digitized & stored on the sleeper ships. Now, I reckon that on occasion, a Sirian who has been exposed to the existence of the show at some point in their life (say, in a history or social studies class as a kid) would store that info in their subconscious. Through some sort of trauma later in their lives, they snapped & began to see themselves as Klingon as a coping mechanism.
As Narcotic said, you get some points for effort. However, that effort might have been better spent on a new faction that isn't an import, or even better, into an existing NPC faction that requires some love.

(03-09-2013, 05:47 PM)SkyNet Wrote: [ -> ]Borg Collective ID:
Pilot carrying this ID is a member of the Borg Collective, who:
  • Can freely engage any ship anywhere.
  • Can start assimilations, to collect more members for the Collective.
  • May ignore or destroy ships they are unworthy of assimilation.
  • May carry and use any form of technology that have been assimilated.
  • Cannot demand credits. Money is irrelevant!
  • Cannot land anywhere except Borg bases.
  • Must follow the instructions of the Borg queen. Resistance is futile!
Allowed ships: Fighters, Bombers, Freighters, Transports, Gunboats, Cruisers, Battleships.
As for this, not going to happen. If you want to engage everything you see with a battleship (within the rules) then the only way to do that would be to get yourself to a suitable position in the K'Hara. I also like the "Oh, I assimilated them earlier so now I can use a Valor and Lib Dread" line. At least the Phantoms were limited to Civilian and their own tech.
Quote:Does that mean my RHA char can have his own pet borg drone?

Shure, if you can beat a Cube Big Grin

(03-09-2013, 05:59 PM)massdriver Wrote: [ -> ]cubes raiding gamma...and NY.

The Borg are not limited to a particular area. The faction will explore Sirius slowly and try to assimilate some Hessians or Libertys or what ever. Wink

Quote:imho mixing star trek is somewhat not awesome at all.

I dont want to mix star trek with Discovery. I don't like that too.
The Borg should only be a new threat to Sirius. Whitout the history of star trek. Only Borg, not more.

Quote:Is this supposed to be a terrorist faction who pew everything on sight?
I thought that was the Nomads role here.
In a way, you can compare the Borg with the nomads. But the Borg have the ability to adapt. They can carry and use any type of weapon without energy loss. Provided they have the Multiphase Power Converter mounted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7