Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Never played Freelancer...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ;-)

I am very interested in playing on this server and have purchased a copy of FL from eBay to do so... here's the thing though, I've never played Freelancer before!

I am experienced in space sims (original Elite on the BBC Micro, Wing Commander later on) but never got around to playing the new breed back when FL, FS2 etc were out.

Anyway, do you guys recommend playing through at least some of the single player game first to get used to the controls and gameplay or shall I just throw myself into the Discovery server immediately?

Cheers!

Sunk
Welcome and hopefully you will enjoy it.

Personally I would go through the disc game first to get the tutorial controls under your belt. Gameplay will be different on Disco but controls the same.

Regards
The Singleplayer campaign is highly recomanded and if you chose to play it do not modify the game until you finish it.The campaign will provide the necesary backstory and lore elements but will not introduce you to new new ship/weapon systems that Disco provides.

Freelancer is the "sequel" of Starlancer.In a way or another Freelancer does not start from Starlancer finished but i highly recomand to play that game also...it is very good.

While you play Freelancer SP take your time and asimilate most of the new information...disco did not modify any of the vanilla content (well...most of it).Just take it easy and enjoy this beautifull game!

As ERBS notice (hope i remember exactly): "Game experience may change during online play"
You'll also get at least get a basic grasp of some things going on in Sirius, and along with a bit of reading on the Wiki and the 4.86 story announcements on this page, you should have a fair idea of what is going on.

Of course, feel free to ask those players who are involved with a part that you are interested in - most should be happy to help. Joining an official faction (or some of the unofficials of course) when you are ready to get onto the multiplayer can be a great help as well - the majority will be useful to get the hang of RP and gameplay.

Make sure to check out the server and forum rules, and you'll want to get Skype if you haven't already as it is the main communication method for most of the community.
The above posters seem to have already handled your questions, and i can only agree with them.

Still, allow me to say another Welcome!

Safe flights!
Thanks for the responses guys, am going to play the original game first I think then and once I'm done with that... see you online :-)
(03-09-2013, 06:20 PM)sunkzero Wrote: [ -> ]I am experienced in space sims (original Elite on the BBC Micro, Wing Commander later on) but never got around to playing the new breed back when FL, FS2 etc were out.

Anyway, do you guys recommend playing through at least some of the single player game first to get used to the controls and gameplay or shall I just throw myself into the Discovery server immediately?
Yesh, welcome to the server and the forums. Looks like your initial questions have been answered so far. If you want to know some additional stuff about PvP, Factions, Rules etc feel free to ask me or other helpfull members.