Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Bretonian Government
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Kingdom of Bretonia - War Cabinet

Bretonia, or the United Kingdom of Bretonia, is the title of one of the four original houses in Sirius. It's territory extends across many systems on the western side of The Barrier, with various claims to systems bordering the Walker Nebula as well as ones deep within The Barrier itself. It is a constitutional monarchy with the monarch (King or Queen) representing the state while the parliament traditionally presides over the government. Following a the introduction of a number of Wartime Powers Acts, a War Cabinet comprised of a number of ministers from the multilateral party government was formed and has taken near enough direct control of governance. Bretonian sovereign territories border the systems of Omega-3, Magellan, Cortez and Tau-31. The Armed Forces having just recently come out of a long standing conflict with the Kusari Empire in the Tau systems, are now faced with an invasion by forces of the Gallic Royal Navy. Fighting is prevalent within the Taus, Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh. Armed conflict with pirate forces is also intense throughout the newly annexed colony of Omega 3.

Participants:
Prime Minister: James (Jim) Hacker.

BAF:
1i/c: Gagadingus
2i/c: Victor Steiner

BPA:
1i/c: Victor Steiner
2i/c: Terry.Jeffords

BMF:
1i/c:
2i/c: Pulha

Bowex:
1i/c: St.Denis
2i/c:

Gateway:
1i/c: Hunor
2i/c: David

SIS:
1i/c: Victor Steiner
2i/c: Stolt

How it works:
The War Cabinet is basically a democratic meta-platform for cooperation and coordination between all of Bretonia's lawful factions. We lead non-faction specific House diplomacy, cooperatively write House laws and regulate licenses for new player equipment (PoBs, jump ships, etc). It's a very useful tool for making sure we're all on the same page, and can accurately represent an entire House's stances and policies on a broad range of issues. Issues we discuss are voted on by all the participating members, and the outcome is then enacted by all of us. Funds from licenses are also kept on shared War Cabinet ships, which can then be requested by Bretonian factions for special projects. New factions will be happily incorporated into the War Cabinet after a consensus vote, and the group has securely established itself within Bretonia.

Please leave any feedback about the BretGov that you have in this thread. If the feedback relates more directly to one of its component factions, we'd ask you to put it there instead. That's the BAF, BMM, Bowex, BPA or Gateway threads right there.

Useful links:
COMM ID: Classified
TARGET ID: Bretonia (archives)
SUBJECT: Feedback

I believe my feedback will be 9/10 but I have questions which im hoping you will be able to anwser.

- How loyal these groups to the king and government
- What is your take against the growing nomad threat in Chester
- Why doesn't the Kingdom follow Liberty's take on the Kusarian empire and live peacefuly
- What is the attitude that your kingdom take with "The Order" and do you think they should be permited to act in your space?

Thank you.

(03-12-2013, 02:19 AM)Tel-Aviv Wrote: [ -> ]COMM ID: Classified
TARGET ID: Bretonia (archives)
SUBJECT: Feedback

I believe my feedback will be 9/10 but I have questions which im hoping you will be able to anwser.

- How loyal these groups to the king and government
- What is your take against the growing nomad threat in Chester
- Why doesn't the Kingdom follow Liberty's take on the Kusarian empire and live peacefuly
- What is the attitude that your kingdom take with "The Order" and do you think they should be permited to act in your space?

Thank you.

This isn't an inRP thread - I can answer it either way though. If you'd like the replies from a Bretonian government spokesman character, let me know and I'll edit the below into the appropriate format and answers. I'd just like to note that the inRP composition of the War Cabinet isn't the factions listed here, either. It's politicians appointed to represent various ministries and police/military dignitaries who're running the national defence. The provided roster is to OORP inform players of who's taking part and provide some transparency.

1) Bowex and BMM are nationalised, so they're owned by the Crown. Despite this, the directors of both will generally attempt to line their own pockets by mistreating employees and overcharging on contracts, because healthy state corporations make for a healthy state (right?).

The BAF and BPA are extremely loyal for obvious reasons, with the BPA being described as the least corrupt police faction in the game. You can probably lump the BIS into the same category, but much like present day intelligence agencies, they're willing to cross lines and do despicable things in order to get results.

Gateway is a private corporation that is looking to improve the wellfare of employees and reform what is generally seen as the rampant corporate corruption that is present in Bretonia - they'd see the primary instigator of this as their main rival, Bowex. Gateway's loyalties don't lay with the Queen, but with their shareholders.

2) The BIS are attempting to keep the Chester threat suppressed, but with Gallia bearing down on Bretonia's core systems, there isn't the budget or manpower left to devote fleets to stomping on Nomads. There are more pressing priorities elsewhere, such as defending Leeds, Newcastle and keeping the Dundee flank secure. Other than those RP reasonings, no-one really goes there because it's an empty system. The K'hara do base from there, but it's over 9000% easier to just let them come to you than to fly there. BAF and BIS do the occasional patrol if they're reeeeally bored, but not much else.

3) Diplomacy with Kusari is something that will probably be attempted shortly. Currently we're in a state of cold war because they haven't contacted us, and we've been too busy on our end of things to start the process up. The death of the ex Emperor Jien Kogen will probably have eased tensions considerably though, seeing as there would no longer be the impression that Bretonia was harbouring a fugitive that was actively attempting to instigate a coup in Kusari.

4) Hostile. The Order player faction has attacked BAF patrols in Newcastle, and Bowex convoys in the Edge systems (not without reason, but that's not how governments view these things). They've systematically shown the Bretonians that they're nothing more than the terrorists Liberty and the Core are trying to convince everyone they are.
I might do android app for this forum some Java problems here.
That's too bad I've heard a rumor that khara will use Chester now..
Thanks for the info Wink
I would like to inquire why the government of Bretonia decided to answer like it did in the following tread.

To me, it does not make any sense. If I understand the situation correctly, Bretonia is not exactly winning the war against the Gallic invasion and, therefore, should be elated if someone, or something made more resources available to them. Especially if they are of strategic importance (such as metals) and the supply chain is sufficiently short, and it does not get much shorter than planet Carlisle.

So any chance of being able to colonize planet Carlisle should be met with enthusiasm rather than refusal. Consequently, when someone could explain the though-process behind this and/or any wrong assumptions on my part, I’d be very thankful.
(08-30-2017, 08:24 PM)Major_Mayhem Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to inquire why the government of Bretonia decided to answer like it did in the following tread.

To me, it does not make any sense. If I understand the situation correctly, Bretonia is not exactly winning the war against the Gallic invasion and, therefore, should be elated if someone, or something made more resources available to them. Especially if they are of strategic importance (such as metals) and the supply chain is sufficiently short, and it does not get much shorter than planet Carlisle.

So any chance of being able to colonize planet Carlisle should be met with enthusiasm rather than refusal. Consequently, when someone could explain the though-process behind this and/or any wrong assumptions on my part, I’d be very thankful.

You appear to under a wrong impression.

In yours, and the University of Cambridge's, communications, you have been effectively asking to use Gateshead Station as a Quarantine Area for the deadly Bacteria. The replies you both have received have indicated that BPA is not willing to put at risk its Headquarters, in Newcastle, to a possible mishap and the lives of 1,400+ people.

Quote:So any chance of being able to colonize planet Carlisle should be met with enthusiasm rather than refusal
Please show us where, in any of the Communications, that it has been said that you cannot attempt to control/eliminate the virus.

Quote:Consequently, when someone could explain the though-process behind this and/or any wrong assumptions on my part, I’d be very thankful
The thought processes have been clearly explained in those communications and we have even gone to lengths to give you other options, which you just carry on ignoring as you want to further, for some reason, your own agenda.

In my communications to you and the University of Cambridge I have used in Game knowledge to back up what I have posted.

So, from these Info Cards, we can see that this Bacteria kills, within hours, and therefore, why would BPA want it on their Station? One mishap and you potentially lose an important asset in Newcastle.

CRI - owned by Cryer, already has all the facilities and people research this Bacteria. So why do you want to use Gateshead?
I suggested 'specially' prepared Ship, as an option. Being the leading experts in Medical Research, one would have thought you would already have something in place.
Another option was a Station (POB), in orbit. This way any mishap could be contained very quickly (destruction of the Base) and would not cause a Major Event.

It just appears, to me, that you have one thing in your mind and are not open to any other ideas.
In no Communication of Cryer, especially not in the one linked above, was brining ECC on board of a station mentioned. In contrary:
(08-29-2017, 01:03 AM)Jason Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]The quarantine-zone on Gateshead will be used throughout stage II and III trials should one or more people show severe side-effects or complete failure of drug-effect.

Now, where in this proposal do you see the Mention of “use Gateshead Station as a Quarantine Area for the deadly Bacteria”? I love people with imagination, but this is too far.

As clearly stated in our comm with BPA, that specific part of the Request of the University of Cambridge (UoC) is a mistake in their part and inacuracies of previous comms have been mentioned in the very first sentence of the comm

Secondly, sure there are many options to not use Gateshead. However, as proximity is an issue. as you’ve quoted correctly the bacteria kills very fast. Naturally, Cryer too is aware of it:
(08-29-2017, 01:03 AM)Jason Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]Gateshead is [...] reachable within a mere minutes, as opposed to our Station Cambridge Research.

So, I need to ask. You’ve quoted yourself, that the bacteria kills within hours.
(08-30-2017, 11:27 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]we can see that this Bacteria kills, within hours,
[...]
CRI - owned by Cryer, already has all the facilities and people research this Bacteria. So why do you want to use Gateshead?

To re-itterate:
(08-29-2017, 01:03 AM)Jason Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]Stage II trials well be held planet-side
So, why is it even in question, why Cryer needs something that is closer to Planet Carlisle, as CRI?

So the only other option, yes, would be to build a dedicated base, or build a ship. Now, all of those, would take much longer and expend much more resources of the stretched Bretonian economy, as stated above.

But the approach of the BretGov does not reflect the inRP urgency to exploit those resources nor the war-related scarcity of resources.

And yes. Whatever way you’ll put it, in the end it will be Bretonian resources. Simply due to the fact that the approach of the BretGov artificially increases the expenses of Cryer to test their drug, thus increasing the price of the Drug.

As for the risk itself, well, yes there might be some, but in what order of magnitude? To use the numbers put forth by the BPA: There’s a 0.01% of something going wrong. Well, that’s a 0.01% chance the quarantine-zone on board Gateshead will actually be used. And of that 0.01% chance of usage, there’s another 0.01% that somehow the bacteria gets on to the station. In total there’s a 0.0001% Chance of something happening to actually endanger the station.

To put that into perspective, the chance of any given person to get a heart-attack on a given day is roughly in the same order of magnitude [USA, 2016], and I don’t see you making a fuss about that.
- As 1ic of Cryer, my apologies for the drama over something that should have been kept inRP. I was unaware of the above post being made till after the fact, and will make sure responses we receive, positive or negative, are accepted and if we want clarification, we'll do so via PM.