Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rouge / Molly Frigate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I started out trying to make a Corsair transport with features similar to an old Spanish galleon. As I was shaping it it really started feeling like a rouge design. I made a few attempts to bring it back on course and make it corsair, but it didn't feel right. I gave in and made it Z-Series. The problem is, that line of ships is full. In addition to critique I also need some suggestions about where this might fit.

I'm leaning towards making it a type of transport, but a heavy gunship could also work.

http://p3d.in/AXWMC (Mesh updated 3/16/2013 3:16 am est)
That's very cool. It could definitely become an exclusive rogue transport, rather than a pirate transport.

I picture that ship as having the extra thrust speed of a luxury yacht, being 160 m/s.
A speed transport. I like that idea. The very front turret is going to have a forward only firing arc anyway, so a GB turret would nest in there perfectly. 7 turrets, but I'll limit the arcs so that it does not have better coverage than the yacht. It is not as compact and slim as the Democritus so the armor armor and capacity would need to be marginally higher. Only one counter measure because it needs a cruise disrupter.

I'll model on those hard points after I finish adding a little detail to the mid deck void, as long as there are no objections.
Me like it so far Smile
(03-13-2013, 03:09 PM)Gamazson Wrote: [ -> ]A speed transport. I like that idea. The very front turret is going to have a forward only firing arc anyway, so a GB turret would nest in there perfectly. 7 turrets, but I'll limit the arcs so that it does not have better coverage than the yacht. It is not as compact and slim as the Democritus so the armor armor and capacity would need to be marginally higher. Only one counter measure because it needs a cruise disrupter.

I'll model on those hard points after I finish adding a little detail to the mid deck void, as long as there are no objections.

The Democritus is already a very weak ship. One gunboat turret is equal to 2 transport turrets. (1 basic ≃ 2 type 4; 1 cerb ≃ 2 type 3; 1 razor ≃ 2 type 2 (Except Demo doesn't have the core for it), 1 pulse ≃ 2 type 1) As a result, it is huge, expensive, with a low cargo, and is still weaker than plenty of smaller ships.

So trying to balance a transport designed for pirating next to the Democritus which is designed for really only RP purposes, is not a good idea.

I'd say, as you said, 1 forward-firing gunboat turret and 7 transport turrets, is a good idea, but don't give it bad arcs. Considering its role, I'd say 1 gb turret and 7 transport turrets all fire forwards, with the 7 transport turrets (and not the gb turret) being able to fire to either side, and then only 5 transport turrets (and not the gb turret) firing backwards, would be a good balance for the ship. If you think this amount of firepower sounds overpowered... Compare it to many other transports with significantly more firepower.
The Z series ''Dachshund''
Jam a large cargo pod in that middle void kinda like the Bison's and i'll take 3.
(03-15-2013, 11:34 AM)Chrono Wrote: [ -> ]Jam a large cargo pod in that middle void kinda like the Bison's and i'll take 3.

It doesn't really look like a cargo pod kind of ship.
Current Mesh: http://p3d.in/AXWMC

(03-15-2013, 11:34 AM)Chrono Wrote: [ -> ]Jam a large cargo pod in that middle void kinda like the Bison's and i'll take 3.
That was my original plan, but I wanted to make sure that it had the sunburst design displayed prominently. Placing it on the front under the GB turret area just didn't have enough "umph".

Instead I put a door on the main bow section. Behind that would be an elevator / airlock combo in RP.

It has 8 turret mounts total. 5 of them can fire up, to the rear and cover both sides. 4 can cover the bottom, and 6 regular plus the GB can fire forward. I can add another one on top of the bridge if it is warranted. That would give an extra gun to the front, top and sides. Having all regular turrets cover all directions equally is not possible. The shape of the model prohibits it.

I have to go back and re-do the engine again. After trying to apply texture I do not like the way it merges with the frame. I need a piece to break it up a little bit. Will post the new mesh when finished.

[Image: 2gxmbzr.jpg]
So much talent here on Disco, I'm amazed.

Good work!
Pages: 1 2 3