Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Faction idea: Good? Needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, I know there is/was a Maquis group which applied for offishulness and got rejected. I dunno if it still exists, but this would not be intended to replace you guys.

Les Maquisards (Maquis ID/IFF)

Taking the name of the guerrilla fighters of an old Gaul story from the Sol system, the Maquisards are the soldiers of the armed civil resistance standing rebel against the crown of Gallia.

Their origin is the result of the dismissal from The Council's military structure in the 7th century of certain high rank individuals who decided to take radical measures in their fight against the crown, using tactics ranging from guerrilla war to armed terrorism. This wasn't welcomed by the rest of The Council, because such means harmed the image with the public opinion.

These ex-military soon recruited their own soldiers amongst the most enthusiast rebel civil population. There were industry workers, young students, union members, teachers and other civilians.

By adopting a guerrilla structure, the different cells of the organization they created do not mantain more contact than necesary between them, preventing that way the breaking of the command chain and the filtration of information. This also allows them to live in secrecy in the core systems of Gallia.

Originally, the size of each operative cell was directly related to the ammount of belic resources his/her former rank had given. After the rupture, they could not keep any capital ships, but they managed to salvage some snubcraft for the cause.

Objectives

* Overthrow the King of Gallia, eliminate the monarchy, and instaurate a revolutionary government, by any means.

* Support The Council, Gallic Brigands and Union Corse in the fight against the Gallic royalist forces, by executing paramilitary operations.

* Sabotage, spy and gather intel against the Gallic royalist forces.

* Expropiate ships, armament and supplies from the crown, as well as chase those who support it.

* Evacuate refugees and supply the civil population caught in the battlefront.

* Rob and openly attack Gallic corporations loyal to the crown and re-distribute wealth among the rebel population.

* Seek support from Sirian groups for the Maquis cause.

* Retrieve and release all rebel prisoners.

Ranks

Each cell has an operative leader, whose hierarchy exists only during the operations. Other than that, each cell works democratically deciding the course of action among all the comrades. All the cell members use codenames to hide their true identity and prevent information leaks in case of captivity and torture.

I wrote all up thinking event-oriented, but it can work as a faction too. Insights?
Some good inspiration for any Maquis faction would be from the French Revolutionary times and/or the civilian resistance against the Vichy government during the Second World War. The latter is where the Maquis of our mod get their name and symbol (le Croix de Lorraine).

The main goals you've listed are pretty much how the Maquis are supposed to operate which is pretty good. 'Cell RP' is also cool for the factions it can apply to (we had some ideas to do so in the Gaians with the different bases and opinions within the movement), especially the Gallic unlawfuls with their far-strung bases. Unfortunately it doesn't work quite so well with too few people to effectively run it.

Although Yahoo tried hard, CoM to me was far too much Council, except using a different ID to get to be leader of an official faction. I've recently been getting some Maquis RP done and thinking of a history for a faction, so if you (or anyone else) is interested in playing them, let me know.
By lore maquis are terrorists, usnig anything and anyone to inflict heaviest damage to crown, I doubt they would care about refugees and civilian population.
Robbing, hmm.. no idea on that, but I see them more like savages that would destroy transport and pick up what left from it rather than tax and let it free.
Support, who would support them from sirians? and why? They don't care about civilians.. so there are little or no chance at all that someone will support them.. sirians have council and their more peacefull aproach to rebellion.

on other things quite good... and it's up to you, needed this faction or not.

ninjas everywhere
Well I know there is plenty of opportunities to RP with all the leftie factions out there such as SCRA. Anyways, I do not intend to lead this, I was just dropping here an idea that might be picked up by someone more enthusiast.