Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Traders and Pirates!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone!:cool:

This is my first post, so I'll make it good! I've been flying these skies for some time now and I've run across an hurdle: Pirates! I have a heavy tanker (after many many days of trading and saving up), now TO THE POINT!:rtfm:

Why is it that pirates in tiny little fighters (very very easy to pop out of the sky) get attitudes when a trader in a gigantic vessel (like my own) refuse to pay their "toll". :wacko:

I've killed many pirates in this same scenario and they all say the same thing: "You'll be dead in no time, YARR:crazy:"

They never follow through... :P

I was under the impression that pirates had a code of honor (among thieves) and that respect is earned through actions not words... :mellow:

Can a trader not get some respect for having a pair of grapes and fighting back? There are many weak willed traders out there, so why bother with the strong willed ones? :lol:

I know this isnt going to change anything, I'm just trying to start a dialog about honor and respect among those in different professions.

Makes sense right?

So the next time you trader boys are in a situation where a fly (pirate) is trying to extort your hard earned money from you, consider the situation and if you see you could fight... fight! I do, and I win most times...:yahoo:

So Hey, what is the name of that heavy tanker your flying? Just out of curiosity:D
Hmmm... I'm not gonna give any names... Too many hard headed people would take offense to what I've said already...

Its like drinking death...:(

I fully agree mate. I flew a Container ship for awhile with 12 LVL4 transport turret's, and i was amazed how many little pest's ended up all over my cockpit screen. Now if they are in a GB, or have a bomber with them? i would recomend paying in a tanker.(i fly 1 of those now since i just do not want to join all the Train's out there) and without a CM you have very little chance of getting away.Also RP with said pirate's for awhile, it is fun.(and mean time tell all the lawful's where you and said pirate are).
All in all 1 fighter cannot do alot to a trader with 100 000 point sheild's/150 000+ armour/6 LVL4 turret's.:crazy::crazy:
I respect traders that, even if they couldve run/fought back, pay to a pirate with good RP, whether it be a gunboat or a Dagger. And trust me, I don't pirate much, but my bite is just as big as my bark, even though I only go in "small" fighters. If a transport is picking off pirates, they gotta learn to dodge...
I always RP!! Its what makes discovery mod the best! I <3 This server!

"If a transport is picking off pirates, they gotta learn to dodge..."

That is true... But also realize that to shoot at me in a fighter you need to look at me... I'm in turret view waiting for you to take one run... Pop pop pop... Boom!

"You have to give up... You have to give up... You have to realize that someday you will die.... Until you know that... YOU ARE USELESS!"
Hello there, welcome to discovery. I might want to direct you to This Thread that I recently started about whether or not a fighter is a match for a transport.

And, by the way, if you ever meet Sousuke in Kusari, he'll teach you a lesson in humility. Or Johann in Stuttgart, for that matter. A Tanker is a big target, and farmers can make for some good shots (Or so I think)....

EDIT: Taunting people is so much fun!:lol:Although, most of the time it's just idle threats...
I'd like to say, sorry, but it's RP to get pirated. What should really occur if FL was a real situation :

Pirats' fighters intercept a trader.
They ask for money to support their faction and goods to supply their closest base.
The trader accepts/refuses (we'll consider that case).
The pirats blow up control center/aboard the ship.
They kill everybody inside the ship.
They try to track the screw with it whole shipment away of sight, before a police/army see them, and oblige them to give up and flee...
If they success to track it, they take a little part of shipment, sent it to the base, then come to take another... until it's empty or a armed force obliged them to give up and run. They let fighters around the screw to watch the shipment...

In FL, pirats only ask for money, sometimes goods... In case of refusal, they have to blow up the whole ship, and abandon a huge part of the shipment because they cannot come back to get it...

Up to you to see if you'll consider they can destroy your seat, or have to take down your whole ship...
' Wrote:I'd like to say, sorry, but it's RP to get pirated. What should really occur if FL was a real situation :

Pirats' fighters intercept a trader.
They ask for money to support their faction and goods to supply their closest base.
The trader accepts/refuses (we'll consider that case).
The pirats blow up control center/aboard the ship.
They kill everybody inside the ship.
They try to track the screw with it whole shipment away of sight, before a police/army see them, and oblige them to give up and flee...
If they success to track it, they take a little part of shipment, sent it to the base, then come to take another... until it's empty or a armed force obliged them to give up and run. They let fighters around the screw to watch the shipment...

In FL, pirats only ask for money, sometimes goods... In case of refusal, they have to blow up the whole ship, and abandon a huge part of the shipment because they cannot come back to get it...

Up to you to see if you'll consider they can destroy your seat, or have to take down your whole ship...

This scenario wouldnt work in the case I was presenting... I was referring to a fighter vs a transport. I owning a GIGANTIC ship requiring a huge crew for loading/unloading and protection wouldnt have to worry about pirates boarding the ship (let alone if they did they couldnt survive).

I pay every pirate that I come across that could willingly kill, easy. But if I have a chance to fight I will... Gotta put the little ones in their place...
As a trader my character will always be looking to escape a pirate. However, as a player my outlook is a bit different.
The lanes can be quite boring and I enjoy a bit of RP banter with a pirate from time to time to break up the monotony (though Im not too quick with good RP replies all the time).
On occasion Ive been known to purposefully take a trade run through an area that (as a player) I know has pirate activity in hopes of an encounter.

If a pirate says 2 mil or die I might just open fire and try to run. But if theres something about the pirates opening lines that strikes me as potential for some entertaining RP then there just might be a slight malfunction that halts my ship for a moment, even if it the pirate were in a light fighter.

For me RP is about interaction and having a good time, not just whats realistic.
Pages: 1 2