Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Joining the ranks of online play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wanted to say hello to everyone out there. I am new to the online side of FL (but have played the SP side for many years) and will be jumping in with both feet. I have been pouring over the rules and guidelines, as well as, the rest of the boards trying to absorb as much information as possible before getting out there and diving in.

I am currently working on developing my RP character and hope to have that finished within a few days.

(Side note) My username will be my RP name
Hi there - let me be the first to welcome you to the server. On the whole we're a friendly lot. You'll probably have the most fun if you just stick to the RP areas of the forum and the server itself, though. Far too many people seem to get the impression that this board is the game itself! Tongue

If you ever need a hand with advise or tips, feel free to sling me a PM.
Thank you for the welcome. I don't plan on spending too much time around the boards other than in the RP areas. I would like to get hooked up with the Liberty Police, LSF or Navy. Or, possibly the Bounty Hunters. This would fall in line with the RP character I am developing, but I could be swayed to the less lawful side of the spectrum as well. I am just not sure if it beneficial for me to just play for awhile to build up some credits and rep first or if I should apply to the recruitment pages first and just jump in that way. Any thoughts?
Well, there're certainly merits to both approaches. If you explore for a bit first, it'll let you get used to the systems, factions and general atmosphere of the server.

On the other hand, factions will usually set players up with their own ship and fully equip it, so that's a nice fast track to having a viably competitive ship.

It really depends on whether you want to go through that initial learning curve that some people consider 'character building'.
Alright, thank you for the thoughts.
To be perfectly honest, for someone stating they're spending quite a while on their character('s background) - perhaps consider not playing a Libertonian faction.

Even though there can be decent roleplay within Liberty, it's mostly like.. Well, someone's got a good quote in their signature: "Being in the LPI is like being a nurse in a mental hospital.", or something like that.

Admittedly, it is the most active region, but if you're really into roleplay and prefer it over just PvP combat, you might want to look elsewhere.

Now, I'm a member of the LPI and we can certainly use members, so you're more than welcome. There are numerous memories I have of the faction that put a smile on my face Wink
Welcome to Discovery!

As you are a new player, I would recommend NOT flying around Liberty.

If you are here for the RP, and wish to play the good guy, you might want to try Rheinland or Kusari.

Rheinland is currently involved in a war with Liberty, so you will be able to not only hunt down pirates but also enforce an embargo.

Kusari, while not at war with any house, is in a weakened state due to Gallia. Kusari also has quite a bit of internal strife, so if you are into politicking, that would be a nice place to try.

If you need a loan to set up some snubs or a transport, I wouldn't mind sending you some credits.

Good luck out there.
Welcome to Disco mate Wink Enjoy your stay. Ignore the trolls!
Yes, greetings, enjoy the game, ignore the trolls and whatnot.