Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Make Open Market RP Optional
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As the title says.

Open Market should be RP optional, like Ship Sales.

Many of the trades in Open Market are completely OORP anyways, as in, you have corporate characters selling to unlawfuls, you have police characters buying from pirates, etc...

For example, a guy has a CAU8 for sale, it's on his LN Dread. A guy wants to buy it for his Outcast Sarissa, They do the forced and required RP in the forum in order to keep the thread within the forum rules (or just do it OORP in PM's, like most people do), but then they just hop on, go to Connecticut (which is a completely OORP system that doesn't exist inRP), and do the trade between the LN Dread and Outcast Dread.

And another 2 points from the last paragraph...

1. The RP is FORCED, it's not willingly RPed (alot of the time), meaning people aren't enjoying the RP, they have a mindset of "lets just get this RP part over with so we can do the trade",

Forced RP is not fun or enjoyed RP, so it's not good.

2. Alot of the time it's fake RP, they're RPing a character they either don't have or a character that doesn't have the item they are selling, just to stay within the rules of RP. At the end of the day, the whole trade is a complete OORP venture.

My points: When people are forced to RP their stuff, it's not fun, let them RP if they want to, or let them do it OORP if they want.

Most people agree the process of setting up a ship is a complete OORP process, which is what the Open Market is 99% used for, setting up ships/characters.

It doesn't make much sense for Open Market to be an RP required/Forced-to-RP forum.
Personally, I agree and am in favour of Open Market being optional RP (despite the fact I've never posted there 8|). I do however think that posts should be allowed to be ooRP with the proviso that if the first post of a thread is roleplayed, that the replies to that thread must also be roleplayed.

That is, if the original post is roleplayed, the entire thread is. If it is not roleplayed, replies may or may not be roleplayed.
(03-30-2013, 03:26 AM)Champ Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I agree and am in favour of Open Market being optional RP (despite the fact I've never posted there 8|). I do however think that posts should be allowed to be ooRP with the proviso that if the first post of a thread is roleplayed, that the replies to that thread must also be roleplayed.

That is, if the original post is roleplayed, the entire thread is. If it is not roleplayed, replies may or may not be roleplayed.
Agreed, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Some folks want cake, some folks want pie, why make them choose between one or the other when you can give them both? 8|
Optional RP is preposterous. If I spawn a new thread and take the time to write it in-RP, I don't want to see someone respond with "rofl its a little expensive but i take 2 ok??"

You make RP optional, and it no longer happens (Relaxed-RP servers). The people who do enjoy it don't bother because they know other people won't.

Frankly, I'd rather see Ships for Sale have RP enforced (as hilarious and absurd as the sale of battleships in-RP would be) than see Open Market become even more of a mess of google translate and shameless bumps than it already is.

EDIT: I almost forgot about those godawful cat pictures. Makes me wish I could vote no a second time.

Additionally, it occurs to me that I ignored the mention of enforcing RP only in threads where the original poster took the time. Implementing this would at least be more palatable than a blanket removal of the RP requirement. However, I'd still rather it be required everywhere for simplicity.
You obviously didn't read my proposal (properly).

Sale of ships could hardly be considered roleplay though - because selling battleships doesn't happen, at least not without huge authorisation issues and resultingly not selling them to practically anyone on the forums.
Yeah, just drop RP in this section of the forum... the very nature of it is OORP anyway. Though I must say, anyone doing RP while selling their equipment will always get a better price from me!
REJECTED! If you wanna do it without RP, why not do it in flood?
(03-30-2013, 06:09 AM)Hone Wrote: [ -> ]REJECTED! If you wanna do it without RP, why not do it in flood?
Most terrible reasoning ever.

Perhaps because Flood isn't for buying/selling? Or maybe because Flood isn't for serious threads? Or perhaps because Flood is place where nothing gets taken seriously?

I mean really Hone, if you're going to add something to this thread/conversation, at least think for 5 seconds before you post. I seriously face palmed at this post of yours.

EDIT: Oh, and you haven't the power to decide on this one way or the other, so your "REJECTED" comment is completely unneeded. This isn't Flood, don't act like it is. Also, OORP does not equal it's Flood material.
It was inRP? :O
(03-30-2013, 07:25 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2013, 06:09 AM)Hone Wrote: [ -> ]REJECTED! If you wanna do it without RP, why not do it in flood?
I mean really Hone, if you're going to add something to this thread/conversation, at least think for 5 seconds before you post. I seriously face palmed at this post of yours.

Not liking a question isn't an invitation to verbally abuse someone.

That said, I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that the overall experience of the Open Market subforum will degrade (read: flood) if the RP requirement is removed. I'm guessing that was the intent behind Hone's question, but far be it from me to put words in his mouth.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt when they deserve it, yeah?
Pages: 1 2