Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Colossus (Rheinland Train)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think this ship compares poorly to other transports in the class?

It has three turrets, but this is misleading, since two of them can only fire forward.

Take the Shetland. It has considerably higher armor and the same number of defensive turrets (one), albeit with a slightly more constricted arc.

The Mastodon also has more armor, as well as more bots/bats, and it also has one turret.

The Pachyderme has lower armor and bots/bats, but if I remember correctly, four turrets capable of protecting the rear.

Similarly, the Stork also has far better firepower at the cost of some armor. Plus, it's more widely usable.

The Ryuujin has only slightly less armor and more turrets, although I don't know the arcs.

The Zoner Whale is a Zoner Whale.

I'm not saying there's a huge difference, but particularly compared to the Shetland, it seems like a very poor choice.

Side note: I realize this is an inrp restriction and doesn't affect balance, but another downside is that it's illegal in Liberty.

Thoughts?
IMO 1, 2 or 3 transport turrets won't really make much of a practical difference.

If you look at Battletransports, the Rheinland one has slightly better arcs than the other Houses' (and two turrets more than the Liberty one); so Rheinland got an advantage there. Also the Colossus looks better than some of the other 5K'ers. If you take the complete lineup of ships into account, Rheinland can't complain.

Besides if everything was the same, and it was only a matter of "skins", Disco would be more boring.

And I might be a bit behind here, but is the ship itself (and not the ID mounted) illegal in Liberty? What if ALG (allowed in Liberty) use a Colossus, they'd get in trouble in Liberty?
(04-23-2013, 03:36 PM)Anaximander Wrote: [ -> ]IMO 1, 2 or 3 transport turrets won't really make much of a practical difference.

If you look at Battletransports, the Rheinland one has slightly better arcs than the other Houses' (and two turrets more than the Liberty one); so Rheinland got an advantage there.

Edit: Note to self: Buy Uruz.

Turrets that don't fire backward are next to useless on non-pirating transports.

Of course it won't make a difference in 90% of all hostile encounters, but when it comes to lighter pirate snubs, it might. I'm not saying a huge difference, but it seems like there is one.

I think it could do with maybe 10k more armor, or another rear firing turret.

Quote:Also the Colossus looks better than some of the other 5K'ers. If you take the complete lineup of ships into account, Rheinland can't complain.

I agree, I love the way it looks. Probably my favorite 5k.

Quote:And I might be a bit behind here, but is the ship itself (and not the ID mounted) illegal in Liberty? What if ALG (allowed in Liberty) use a Colossus, they'd get in trouble in Liberty?

Yes, the ship itself is illegal. So are almost all other Rheinland-made ships.
However, there is a specific exception for ALG. They are allowed to use it in Liberty. But Bretonia and Kusari factions might also want to use it, and that prevents them from going to Liberty.
I love Colossus, its my favorite 5k!

Defender out
Just gonna jump in and mention the urez is also alot worse than every other battletransport.

Its very large, slow, and the strange arcs make it worse than the bison, shire, or akegata.

The urez only fires all guns foward, with only 8 or so firing behind. The shire on the other hand fires 12 up, down, foward, and backward, with six to either side.

The bison has good arcs of 7 everywhere, with all but 1 firing foward.

the akegata has similar with a good spread of guns everywhere.

More importantly than that though is that ships like the bison have a much smaller target from behind which helps evade fire, the massive urez however, due to a REALLY stupid design oversight, has huge tanks in the back of it in a triangle pattern, meaning its in essence a battleship sized target from the rear.
This thread isn't really about the Uruz, but eh.....might as well discuss it here if there are problems with it.

(04-29-2013, 11:22 PM)Lunaphase Wrote: [ -> ]The urez only fires all guns foward, with only 8 or so firing behind.

That's not true, only one turret (Number 2) doesn't fire backward on the Uruz.
8 fire to either side, 7 down, and 6-8 up (6 directly upward, 8 at slight angles to the side).

The arcs aren't so bad, what's worse is the huge spread of the guns, due to being distributed to all corners of this enormous ship.

I agree with the other points you mention (I guess - The Uruz is the only house battletransport I own so I can't compare it directly).