Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A short survey - How did you find Discovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
(04-25-2013, 11:59 PM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: [ -> ]The Lancers Reactor. The very first hub of all things related to FL fan works and modding, before it closed down (we now have The Starport).

I downloaded Disco v4.79 in 2006 amongst other mods because it offered many new ships and systems. The server was not a RP server yet. I played for a few months mostly on my own before getting bored and looking at other big mods at the time, and then stopped playing FL altogether. In 2011 after a five year hiatus, I pulled my Freelancer disk out of the cupboard, checked out the new Disco, and decided to stay.

Of course, this isn't the life cycle of most Disco players...

What, were you cheating and looking over my shoulder?

I'm like you - Lancers Reactor. However, when I d/l'd all my mods from them, it was to only play solo. Finally after running my modded Liberty Battlecruiser around all of Sirius (in single player, you can mod your cargo bay - it was so nice being able to haul 50,000 of whatever I wanted) and flying my Star Trek Destroyer through Sirius - and we finally got cable internet where I lived at the time (which was out in the country - those of you in Europe, think out in the boonies, away from town - aka dial up) - I finally decided, sure, let's try this mod out online.

And then I made the mistake (?) of hooking up with Athenian, who needed someone to haul some cargo in RP ....

So I don't blame Zelot, I blame Colm... Smile
My friend found a sanction notice in his cargo hold and was very confused. We both learned about the forums that way.

Found the mod on moddb after playing the Vanilla campaing a bit and realizing that the MS servers were closed.
I went around my mates house YEARS ago, and when I came into his room so we could play games he was playing Discovery 4.83 in single player on his PC. I didn't even know what the game was back then, let alone that I'd end up playing so much in the future. But when I upgraded my PC to play SA-MP I went back and asked him what it was. I did nothing but single player though 4.83 and in 4.84 tried the multiplayer and couldn't work any of it out. It wasen't until 4.85 I tried again and actually stayed this time, and I have yet to leave. =P
(04-26-2013, 12:50 AM)vanalvo Wrote: [ -> ]This if I remember correctly: http://www.flserver.de/topservers.htm

This, also funny thing: my first thought was "OMG those rules, this server is little bit too extreme for me."
Played FL when it came out, installed random mods for it back then. Rebought it later on back in 2009 or so, and searched for mods again, google led me to MoDB, tried to install another mod (not sure which, might have been crossfire) it didnt work (imagine that, if that mod had worked, you might all have suffered being deprived of my glorious presence!) so I installed Disco 4.84 for my SP campaign, liking the fact that it said it stayed true to the core of FL. Fell in love...
Voted for: "Through the Freelancer Community Network e.g. previously played other mods"

I was playing the Void server and Monkey Universe (a bit) in before, but then I decided to find a server with good online (since it was dropping down rapidly on Void back then) so I got here after searching for stuff like "biggest freelancer server" or so.
Playing FL since 2006 online, since 2004 the SP.
Pretty much the same as Hone. I was trying to find another mod that a friend was playing (Crossfire, I think) but downloaded Discovery by accident. I liked it here and stuck around.
Accidentally through a search engine - I finished SP campaign multiple times, as I wanted to screen and collect in a folder all rumors in game, I went to YT to look for Freelancer videos and found clips from Disco. New systems and ships looked nice, and here I am.
I simply looked for a nice mod in 2009, Discovery was the most popular so I downloaded it, although I didn't know many features in the game. So, I quit playing it until I returned in late 2012.
Suddenly wanted to play a modded freelancer with caps, after a long break (like, 5+ years). But since I didnt want to just fly alone, found this website, to check which server has the highest population and which of those would have the cap support.

http://www.flserver.de/

After checking for capship availability and reading the server (pvp) rules (I usually do such things before going into the game, cause if I don't like em, I just wont play - happened a few times on other servers/games), I've dl'ed and installed it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20