Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A short survey - How did you find Discovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Hi - Discovered Discovery via the Star Citizen forum
Greetings all....I found out about Discovery through ModDB whilst looking for a decent single player mod to play.

I have played the vanilla campaign all the way through on various computers in the past (but didn't have the luxury of an internet connection) and have recently been toying with the idea of going online, although it is all a bit daunting with RP rules, rules of engagement etc etc.

I have been a competitive online player in other games like Mechwarrior and Rise of Flight in recent years but i always go back to Space simulations....i'm old enough to have played the original elite when it was released (and also to have seen the first trailers for Star Wars in the cinema before it was released.)

I like to think i'm still a competitive PvP player, although my eyesight and reflexes are obviously not what they used to be and i'm sure having played other games online that i have a huge amount to learn from other players
I looked for mods on a search engine.

I bought Freelancer a good few years ago. I wasn't very active at the time because I had life to deal with, so it ended up permanently shelved until I moved house, and it didn't make the transition.

A couple of weeks ago I found a copy in good working order in a charity shop near my flat. It was going for a quid. I had to buy it, it was screaming at me: "Dude! What the Hell! Don't pass this up!"

Not literally, mind.

Anyway, I discovered the servers were all dead, so I went nosing around for an active mod. Discovery was pretty much what everyone was telling me, so there you go.
Pretty sure I first heard of it on Lancer's Reactor back when Lancer's Reactor was still good, sometime around 4.81. I downloaded it, installed it, played about half an hour, and just never really played it again.

I can't for the life of me remember how I got into Discovery for real four years ago. Whatever the case was, I'm glad I did.
TVTropes, Random Page brought me to Freelancer on two seperate occasions, so I decided to try it. One of the first things I do with a new PC game is look for mods, and given my preference for RP servers, Discovery ended up at the top of my list.

It was considerably later that I actually played through the single-player campaign.
I really love SpaceSim games. When I completed Darkstar One for like fifth time, I got "homesick" of Freelancer. So I installed and played it again) for like 8th time?

During that time, I was on a break from World of Warcraft, and eventhough I wanted to get some time off WoW world, I missed the interaction with others. So I was thinking - "Hey, is there any MMO SpaceSim?" and it brought me to FL Discovery after some searching.

Why Disco when there are other FL mods? Well, I guess I wanted to try RP finally (loved it in WoW, but only played on PVP server, where people did not bother about RP at all Sad ). And I guess Disco was one of the most played mods the four or five years back, when I first came across with it.

And eventhough I do not play here consistently (usually for a period of a few months and then I leave for some time), I always love to return.
I was looking at the Freelancer wiki, and once I searched for some ship on Google and found that the Discovery Wiki had actual images of the ships, compared to the Freelancer one, which does not. I continued my play of the Vanilla Campaign. Once I got bored of it, I decided to search for this mod and see what it has to offer.
I bought the original game a few months after its original release, and was a strong member of the online community when MS dropped support.
Then - I couldn't get it to play on any version of Windows at all, it would 'overclock' and play at like 10x speed.
When Vista came out, with the promise that it would emulate all older versions of windows, I yanked it out and dusted it off.
After finishing vanilla, I looked for an online community, and after trying 3 or 4 other mods, most of the 'hot buzz' in '08 was this wierd 'Discovery' community - so I came here via word-of-mouth (forums) from the old Freelancer Community network
searching for a mod where I could equip class 6 guns on my defender and my dagger
I saw mod in wikipedia and decided to install it because I couldnt launch Crossfire Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19