Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A short survey - How did you find Discovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
(02-22-2014, 04:24 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Back in 2004, when I still did not have a PC of my own, I used to frequently visit an internet cafee (Much to the dismay of my lunch money at the time), and I used to play games you would expect us to play back at the time. CS, GTA III, later Vice City and such. I would always sit at the same PC, where I had my progress saved, obviously.

Then once I ended up having to use a different one, since my usual one was occupied. And there I saw this very strange icon on the desk.

Well, the rest is history.

I ended up reinstalling the thing during one of my nostalgia trips back in the day, but since the global servers had died at the time, I went on looking for alternatives to multiplayer. Disco was on the top of the list at the time, so here I am.

Hello I have to say your videos are very helpful, the mining one especially I crank out cash hand over fist. I have a Hegemon mining ship and a BMM ID and I mine Dubblin like no tomorrow. Honestly I think I'm the one who started the uproar with the fields not replenishing deposits. I would spend hours pulling in millions I average $21,768,000 per run $8000+ a unit to Pittsburgh 2710 units a run. Yeah 13 min my hold is full and off I go then return with ale to New London for $5 million rinse and repeat In 3 hours I pull in approx 190 million with no effort, that ship is my bread and butter. Thanks again I no longer struggle for $$$. Some day I'll see ya in space and if you ever need a wing man I'm there.
From the Global server list when i played in Voidserver and HHC i always noticed the name Discovery and i gave it a shot and DLd the mod and got addicted the first day...Even though i dropped couple of F-Bombs in system chat and was OOC like hell, people directed me on the right road...
2008..bought freelancer...played....left it...

after 2 years i saw lancerreactor site...by searching for freelancer CD....mine got corrupted..Tongue

from there moddb....searched for mod for openSP..thus discovery..Tongue
(04-25-2013, 07:32 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly I would like to thank Saronsen and others for their comments in the thread 'Is Discovery dying?' posted earlier today which has spurred the creation of this survey.

For those of you who haven't been clued in, put concisely, the proposition I put forward in the following post was that an attempt should be made to land some hard evidence as to how and why players are drawn to discovery. The resulting data should make it easier for us as a community to realise a means of attracting new players.

This poll may well be the first in a series of posts in attempts to gather data on the matter, so please do participate if you notice any further questions despite any similarities.

I am starting this survey with the assumption that the rate of incoming new players has decreased as opposed to the rate of players leaving the server increasing. This poll is also being made without assumptions that discovery's net income of players is in the red due to lack of interest, advertisment, accessibility or otherwise. It's all in the hypothetical stage at present so I ask kindly that you keep any sceptical comments you have in focus.

It is unknown yet as to how long it will take to draw up a conclusion so please do bear with until a clear and reliable set of results can be established.

Your participation would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The majority of the votes obtainable have been collected and the results and thread are now open for discussion. Please be concise and focused on the facts when writing your conclusions and suggestions.

Additional votes are welcome if you have not voted yet.
I found them through the players board, my first RP game, the community seamed good and people were kind so I took a chance what do I have to loose, right. I have been on WOW for a few days and I din't like it at all. This community is different I enjoy the strength and absorption a very strong, reliable, content, positive, happy connected community.This is good even if we are red to green , I still bow my head with respect.
By searching mods on moddb. Played crossfire 1.9 and some more but had a lot of bugs and disconnects and I ended here because this version is a lot more stable.
Other: I played vanila freelancer so many times.. Then I started to check mods on Youtube. I played many mods. Then I have found Discovery.
Hi all, in Discovery Freelancer play with a friend over a year ( thanks to him, I discovered this server ), but only now decided to officially say hello to the rest of their colleagues from the Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7 - although many times previously browsed this forum Smile
I always have been bugged by the fact that Discovery had more players than HHC and I couldn't get on that server because of some weird version. Then, after the global server went to hell, I kind of forgot about it. Later, when [BB] joined to HHC and gave every other pirate clan cheats, I just started looking around for a new server to play.

My first encounter with Disco was short and turbulent, when I saw that I can't do the hardest mission in Alpha with a Sabre (bullsh*t, this mod is dumb).

The second time I was flying a Pirate ID and saw that a transport actually had chances in killing me (wtf, transports can fight, this mod is dumb [please note that the biggest transport on HHC was a Train with whooping 450 cargo space and NOTHING else, no turrets, no cm, nothing, and to actually make profit with it you had to fly from Manhattan to Unknown Gamma {Omicron Kappa} and pray to the RNJesus that Nomad fleet doesn't spawn]).

The third time I actually got Spazzy to teach me stuff and from that I actually got into the game properly.
I found out about the game when my father bought an old computer in 2006. There was a folder with games in it. In the folder there were some very good 2D games and it was fun. In the bottom of the games list there was something dubbed Freelancer with a helmet as its icon.

I entered the game. It was so awesome. Music , shooting ! Spaceships, planets !
The problem was I could only finish mission 1. It was frustrating.

I soon found out it was demo version. Later in 2010 when I was 12 year old , my dad went to buy internet and stuff.

I immediately typed Freelancer in the google thing ( Yes, my first search was about Freelancer ) and there it was.

After a few search and stuff I downloaded the ISO and installed and started playing. I finished the game 5 times before I went to seek if it has multiplayer and stuff.

Downloaded the Workaround patch and entered a server called Procyon Dedicated and went for Freelancer Universe.

I played there until 2012 when I accidentally downloaded discovery ( 4.85 I think ) and it was freakin' awesome. Sitting next to Toledo and watching it was my main profession. Fighting the Nomads ! Wow !

Where am I , in 2014, still playin' an 11 year old game and having fun.
(10-18-2014, 01:26 PM)Eonaros Wrote: [ -> ]I found out about the game when my father bought an old computer in 2006. There was a folder with games in it. In the folder there were some very good 2D games and it was fun. In the bottom of the games list there was something dubbed Freelancer with a helmet as its icon.

I entered the game. It was so awesome. Music , shooting ! Spaceships, planets !
The problem was I could only finish mission 1. It was frustrating.

I soon found out it was demo version. Later in 2010 when I was 12 year old , my dad went to buy internet and stuff.

I immediately typed Freelancer in the google thing ( Yes, my first search was about Freelancer ) and there it was.

After a few search and stuff I downloaded the ISO and installed and started playing. I finished the game 5 times before I went to seek if it has multiplayer and stuff.

Downloaded the Workaround patch and entered a server called Procyon Dedicated and went for Freelancer Universe.

I played there until 2012 when I accidentally downloaded discovery ( 4.85 I think ) and it was freakin' awesome. Sitting next to Toledo and watching it was my main profession. Fighting the Nomads ! Wow !

Where am I , in 2014, still playin' an 11 year old game and having fun.

Exactly the same story, just plus one year where you imputted "11".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20