Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Opening up the Freelancer ID
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'l try and keep it short and simple. A Freelancer is a person who goes into a particular line of work as hired help without further obligation, solely for their own gain and profit. It suggests freedom of an individual to do what they want without being tied to anything. So why the hell is the Freelancer ID so restrictive?

I speak mainly of the 3200 cargo cap, but there are other features that need re-consideration.

I'l ask you this: Is it really that OORP to be a Freelancer and to own a ship over 3200 cargo?

I can guarantee all of you went through a phase of flying without affiliation or consideration of the RP world with the sole purpose of making a profit to advance in the game. So in a sense this was all of our role play at one point or another, why shouldn't we have the option to roll with it instead of having to start up a new character or invent a new character from the one you've been flying for 48 hours.

I'l acknowledge that the cap was put in place to promote activity in trading factions, but then why can't we put a bonus in place for trading factions as opposed to nerfing the Freelancers and restricting what they do?

Everyone needs a middle ground for whatever character/faction they want to start, it's a shame that the Freelancer ID isn't able to help much in these circumstances right now.
What kind of new cap (if any) do you have in mind?
in pure gameplay

- freelancers have tremendous pvp freedom. they can engage pre-emptively they can participate passivly in piracy ( i think ), they can collect bounties
- they have a siriuswide ZoI with no rep-hacks - so they can effectivly be as neutral as it is humanly possible
- they have a wide range of ships to choose from
- they have the ability to dock on lawful and unlawful places
- there is no place in disco where they are hostile by default ( except of course nomad / wild homeworld systems )

their drawback

- cargo restriction
- no big capital warships

increasing the cargo restriction might make them a little too good. the only other faction that has a similar trade deal has severe pvp restrictions - which freelancers would not appreciate.

: what is your problem - i really wonder. why do you have to be such an archetype.
Wait, isen't the limit on freelancer ID 3,600?
Just make more variety in 3.6K transports.

It makes sense that only House corporations have access to the highest tier tech, afterall the large transports are either directly produced by those House super-corporations or indirectly funded by taxes paid by House corporations and their workers.
(05-24-2013, 04:02 PM)Jinx Wrote: [ -> ]in pure gameplay

- freelancers have tremendous pvp freedom. they can engage pre-emptively they can participate passivly in piracy ( i think ), they can collect bounties
- they have a siriuswide ZoI with no rep-hacks - so they can effectivly be as neutral as it is humanly possible
- there is no place in disco where they are hostile by default ( except of course nomad / wild homeworld systems )

their drawback

- cargo restriction

increasing the cargo restriction might make them a little too good. the only other faction that has a similar trade deal has severe pvp restrictions - which freelancers would not appreciate.

Let's discoss Zoners here as well, why not?
(05-24-2013, 04:02 PM)Jinx Wrote: [ -> ]- freelancers have tremendous pvp freedom. they can engage pre-emptively...
Do we play on the same server?
Nerf
I can think of several places: such as most guard systems, restricted homeworlds of factions, Alaska...
(05-24-2013, 04:02 PM)Jinx Wrote: [ -> ]in pure gameplay

their drawback

- cargo restriction

: what is your problem - i really wonder. why do you have to be such an archetype.

This.

Freelancers have a cargo restriction (which, as AshHill07 mentioned is 3600 units, not 3200 [Note: Effectively 3500, as there are no ships between 3500 and 3900 cargo space]), because they have very few other restrictions.
Freelancers have no enemies. Freelancers can legitimately go anywhere. If they had no cargo restrictions as well, there would be literally no reason for a trader to use any corporate ID.

A bonus for trading factions is all well and good, but what exactly do you mean by that?
Prices cannot be adjusted according to ID. And since that's basically what matters to trade ships, it cannot really be changed.

The allowances and restrictions of the Freelancer ID are fine as they are.
(05-24-2013, 03:53 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]I'l acknowledge that the cap was put in place to promote activity in trading factions, but then why can't we put a bonus in place for trading factions as opposed to nerfing the Freelancers and restricting what they do?

Everyone needs a middle ground for whatever character/faction they want to start, it's a shame that the Freelancer ID isn't able to help much in these circumstances right now.

Where do you expect a difference between restricting Freelancer IDs to smaller cargo, and your idea of giving trade factions a bonus? In both cases, the trade factions have an advantage and eventually, some players would cry for the Freelancer ID to receive the same advantages.

The Freelancer ID provides the perfect middle ground for players starting out and trying to make a profit. No new player can afford to buy a supertransport the moment they undock from Erie.

(05-24-2013, 03:53 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]I'l ask you this: Is it really that OORP to be a Freelancer and to own a ship over 3200 cargo?

Does it really make that much sense in roleplay for a completely independent person to fly the space-equivalent of a massive oil tanker, crewed by a huge amount of people?
I do wonder at some of the repfixer settings for Freelancers like Golden C. being fixed as hostile, among others. Kind of makes the argument of them being neutral to everyone obsolete.

On the original question though, I support the current cargo capacity restriction. The only thing I would support is maybe adding the ability to use the Pilgrim Liner. Granted the lore of the Pilgrim Liner says there aren't many left to bring back into service but Freelancers, being independent and somewhat knowledgeable of the underground, might find them in RP as well or afford to buy one from the Junkers. This would also be something good for the independent slavers.
Pages: 1 2