Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: buying a new comp what would you suggest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i got £800 to spend on a new comp i havent built one for a good few years and out of touch a little

what would you guys suggest

at the mo i got a q6600 with 4 gig ddr2(un upgradeable mb) with a zotewc 560ti gfx card

i do have a spare 8800 gfx which i can put in this machine so i can use the 560ti in the new rig

games i play

obviously FL

bf3
some driving games

so i defo want new machine to play bf3 smoothly and fast

monitor wise im not to sure if i need a new one, my current is an LG and max res is 1680x1050 its not hd i know but do i really need that, as im used to this monitor and res
Well if you decide to stay on 1680x1050 you can save on the gfx card; you won't need extra juice for full HD.

I'd get a third-generation Intel i5 - either a 3570K if you intent on overclocking or just a regular 3470. I'd get a B75 chipset mobo (they are cheap and support PCI Express 3.0), and a Radeon PCI-E 3.0 card like 7870 XT (a limited edition card with some of the 7900-series architecture but 7800-series pricing) or 7950. If you've got money for it, it's worth considering a Z77 motherboard for better overclocking ability, added features, SLI/Crossfire compatibility and so on. If you do that, you could also consider keeping your 560ti and pop in an extra one if you can get one cheap and you can be bothered fiddling with SLI and you have a PSU that can support two power-hungry cards simultaneously.

I got an i5-3470 and a Radeon 7950 and I play BF3 @ 60 fps in highest settings in full HD, and I paid less than 800 quid for my rig (including an ASUS 23-inch full HD screen) a couple of months back.

EDIT: Perhaps you should keep your card and just upgrade the rest of your rig and save the money for a gfx card in 6-12 months. PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible, so you shouldn't have a problem using your 560ti on a newer rig, and you'll have the option to upgrade to some super fast card for BF4 down the road if you get a chipset that supports PCI-E 3.0. According to this you should be able to pull an average of 58 fps in BF3 in your current resolution on high settings with your current card and a second-generation i5 (i5-2500).

Also take a look at this for CPU's (It's updated monthly like the one Trail linked below for GPU's):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gami...,3106.html

To summarize from the link above: Get an AMD CPU if you are broke, an i5 if you are on a budget or an i7 if you feel like spending.
I assume that you want to play bf4 when it comes out and other next gen games so I would actually suggest getting a decent i7 processor, a total of 8 GB of ram and a graphics card that fits your budget

heres some ideas while taking quality vs price

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gami...,3107.html

if you upgrade you will probably not have to spend more then the 800 pounds you have. But personally I would suggest saving up more and getting a 21 inch monitor down the line.
i will not get bf4, ea is ...shall we say poo bags (stronger words are needed here)

if someone can tell me best spec bits to get for £800 ill gladly buy it

tell me the cpu/mb/ram and so on, to get and possibly the place to get it, or if anyone can build me one

ill give 1 billion credits in game for it

do i really need to overclock something?

sod it, if you guys tell me or give me a link with a good system ill give 2 billion credits to you
BF3 actually uses more cores, hence why I believe that the FX-8300 series does better in BF3 than the i5.

Here is who made my PC: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
You can customize your own or choose a pre-made one too, and they have sales going on.
whats a fx8300?
8 core AMD if I'm not mistaken.
tal do you build comps? i really need to make sure i spend my cash on a system thats good

whats your skype? pm me
Skype is talsushi
I'll be out for an hour, got practice.

Anyways, they build your computer for you, and it's good for people like me who don't feel like/can't build their own.
that site is in dollars not really good to me unless they ship for free to uk
Pages: 1 2