Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Flying away to repair
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*Hm, yes, this is allowed...*

What means "In range of ship"?

Quote:5.6 Fleeing from combat and then docking at a station or planet while you are in range of the ship you were fighting counts as PVP death. Transports and freighters are exempt from this rule.
I would say, close enough for the other ship to get the docking message. Which is like, 15k or so I guess.
In range means on scanner. So if you dock, and you saw them on your scanner, then you were in range
It's been previously stated that so long as anyone you're fighting against cannot see you dock (as in, is off your sensors), then that's considered out of range. Note that in the event of multiple ship combats, that means if ANYONE in the group you're fighting against can see you, then you're dead - even if you personally weren't fighting against that person.
Interesting, so if you got away, say to another system, if battle is near a jumphole, and docked at a station, and returned with that ship, or another of your ships, and re-enaged (with sufficient RP), that wouldnt count as a death? I've thought about doing this a few times but thought it would be a violation....
(05-29-2013, 02:10 PM)CaptainAlamo Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, so if you got away, say to another system, if battle is near a jumphole, and docked at a station, and returned with that ship, or another of your ships, and re-enaged (with sufficient RP), that wouldnt count as a death? I've thought about doing this a few times but thought it would be a violation....

If no one can see you dock, then all is good.

For example, I was recently involved in a multi-unit combat against Mollies in Dublin. All I had to do when I got whacked hard was disengage (in and of itself a pain), hit the jump gate, head to New London via trade lanes, dock, repair, reload, and head back to Dublin to rejoin the combat, where we were eventually successful in eliminating the opposition.

It USED to be that if I'd docked with anything like a jump gate or jump hole, you were considered dead for PvP purposes. Not now.

Ideally you should return with the same ship - since you were already involved in that combat, then there's no need for additional RP on your part. But if you get away clean, there's nothing in the rules to say you can't hop into something else.

Example - RM comes into Texas and the LN engages them right at the jump gate, and keeps them from getting into the trade lane or from engaging cruise engines. You're in an LN fighter and get badly damaged. You disengage and head to Houston. There's no RM that you were fighting still in scanning range when you dock. Instead of simply repairing your fighter and heading back to combat, you also happen to have an LN Cruiser sitting at Houston. You're free to hop into that ship and head down to where the combat was at the jump gate. HOWEVER, since this is now a new ship, you'll need the obligatory line of RP in system chat before joining the battle - 'LN Cruiser coming in to assist in repelling the RM invasion force' or something like that.

NOW - if there had been an RM ship that had managed to get closer to Houston such that when you were ready to dock you had him on your scanner - you're dead and out of the fight completely. Which would still not prevent you from continuing up the trade lane to New York, hopping in there, and finding a place to dock. BUT - you can't self-destruct with mines even if you get away from the combat, because that would still count as a PvP death, even though you did it yourself (since your initial reason for fleeing was a PvP action).
Thanks for the clarification! I get in similar situations often and that is good to know!