Discovery Gaming Community
random idea with 'armor panels' - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: random idea with 'armor panels' (/showthread.php?tid=43185)

Pages: 1 2

random idea with 'armor panels' - Feldspar - 07-03-2010

well I was just having a blast in my train, doing combat sims when I noticed that when getting hit on my cargo pods no damage was dealt... see where this is going?

so I though about how on some ships there are useless appendages that do nothing but make the ship have a larger hitbox. maybe these areas are necessary in some cases, such as the kusari dragon/chimera/drake line those things are so darn small they need more mass. but on some ships such as the barghest and the spatial, I though... why not replace those unnecessary huge wings with something that functions like a cargo pod? they dont take damage to the hull AND they also serve a functional purpass, to exorb some damage and take hits instead of the hull. that way the spatial could avoid that SNAC and actually be able to fight bombers.

they could also serve as ship customization, offering them in different colors and shapes, only problem is that say Mr. barghest decides to put two spatial wings on his sides rather than his smaller panels... that could be a slight problem.

also these could be used to a greater extent, by using them on larger areas covering vulnerable areas of hitbox. like look at the front of the mako, although the front panels wouldn't survive for long it would add new tactics to battleships involving frontal assault vs. flanking allowing obvious advantages to attacking the vulnerable unarmored back of a ship rather than the armored front.

just kind of a random idea... comments?

random idea with 'armor panels' - Geeky - 07-03-2010

I like this. Buut.. if people didn't decide to put the "Right" type of armor plates on their ship, everyones ship would look like Junker Ships.

random idea with 'armor panels' - Bobthemanofsteel - 07-03-2010

I have a feeling we don't know how to add cargo pods.
Otherwise we'd see more ships other than the Vanilla ones utilising them.
I also remember reading something along that line.

In short; Cool Idea, but we need to work Cargo Pods out first.

ohh, okay. but I like geeky's idea about random panels making ships look like junker ships... even though he was pointing out a flaw it would be cool to allow junkers to use any armor panels on any of their ship (as long as they fit)

and bob has a good point, this idea is useless if nobody can even make it work on the mod. :P

random idea with 'armor panels' - Kazinsal - 07-03-2010

' Wrote:I have a feeling we don't know how to add cargo pods.
Otherwise we'd see more ships other than the Vanilla ones utilising them.
I also remember reading something along that line.

In short; Cool Idea, but we need to work Cargo Pods out first.
Not true; most of the cargopods we have are custom made and/or implemented.

EDIT: It's as easy as modelling a box, texturing it, and smacking a HpMount (or maybe it's HpConnect, I don't remember) on its bottom, then adding a quick SUR and an entry in the \data\equipment\st_equip.ini file.

' Wrote:Not true; most of the cargopods we have are custom made and/or implemented.

EDIT: It's as easy as modelling a box, texturing it, and smacking a HpMount (or maybe it's HpConnect, I don't remember) on its bottom, then adding a quick SUR and an entry in the \data\equipment\st_equip.ini file.
this this idea carries potential!

random idea with 'armor panels' - Bobthemanofsteel - 07-03-2010

' Wrote:Not true; most of the cargopods we have are custom made and/or implemented.

I meant ships that utilise them.

random idea with 'armor panels' - tansytansey - 07-04-2010

' Wrote:I have a feeling we don't know how to add cargo pods.
We do. You have cargo pods on your Trains don't you?

Trains weren't flyable in Vanilla.

Cargopods are added via low level shield hardpoints I think. But I don't own a train, nor have I bothered looking at their cmp files.

random idea with 'armor panels' - Recovery - 07-04-2010

I like this idea. I still have a cargo pod missing from when a Xeno SNACed me. it saved me and my cargo.

random idea with 'armor panels' - Kazinsal - 07-05-2010

' Wrote:Cargopods are added via low level shield hardpoints I think. But I don't own a train, nor have I bothered looking at their cmp files.
This. Cargo pods take up the space of the Class 1 Freighter Shield. Ever seen an admin cap and scanned it, only to find its shield is freighter class 2? Or why you can't buy a class 1 freighter shield? Now you know why.