Discovery Gaming Community
where are the pirates? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: where are the pirates? (/showthread.php?tid=4621)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

where are the pirates? - Equinox - 11-23-2007

Actually i pirate on my own in a fighter quite often when im in my workers front char, its obviously not as easy as with a bomber or gunboat but it can be done fairly easily, just takes time and a hell of allot of dodging (Just ask Crimson_Something ^^).

On the note of is it possible to up the amount dropped by traders that are killed, as far as i remember it is something thats set server side, i think its set low because of getting lagg when theres loads of floating debris about, im pretty sure it can be changed though.

where are the pirates? - Archelon - 11-23-2007

@ Mjolnir: But you won't make a living at piracy alone. Traders are less likely to pay (really doesn't matter what you ask for). I'm averaging maybe 2 traders a day that actually pay. And those 2 I have to chase down and corner most of the time. And half the time, they talk me down to 1 mil. So don't go thinking you're gonna get rich doing the piracy thing.

@ Morrigan: I'm pretty sure pirating in a transport is against the rules. I've asked about it and was told, "don't do it." The amount dropped seriously needs to be increased. There's no incentive to continue down the piracy business if you can't make money at it. Pirates are in it for the loot as well as the cash. If you can't get either, why continue?

@ Rogue63: Be careful my friend. Chasing a trader 1/2 way across Sirius will likely get you flamed in several places for being a fish out of water.

@ Drake: You can pirate in a fighter if you stick to only pirating freighters. If you try to take on the notorious Container Transport, you're likely to die in seconds. Especially if he's one of those that has mounted Tizonas and Salamancas (ahem ... OORP with Trader ID). The "2 mil or die" comes from trying to catch a trader that doesn't want to RP to begin with. "2 mil or die" is about all you can get out before the trader is in cruise and out of sight. I usually start with "___ shut down your engines and prepare to be boarded" or something like that. But they usually just dock somewhere and logout. Note the screens below for an example.

[attachmentid=3752][attachmentid=3753]

EDIT: I asked for "5 mil" in the first example. That was a typo. Was actually going to ask for 500k but couldn't type fast enough.

@ Equinox: Yeah ... take on a CT or maybe 2 CT's grouped together with Tizonas and Salamancas. Come talk to me with the pieces of your bomber in dry dock. And yes, they need to increase what is dropped from these guys.

where are the pirates? - mjolnir - 11-24-2007

OK... so now I have just made my first raid in my new pirate character:

duration: ~1hour max

traders stopped: 7 (one twice)

traders who tried to run: 7 (one twice)

traders who payed: 7 (-||-)

money made: 6 500 127 (6 times 1 mil + 1 time 500k + 1 time 127 credits:)(all he had - and I believe him ))

traders killed: none

traders who got hull damage: 3

ships killed: 1 - merc

damage on my ship: none

Now you will all call this for beginners luck and I'm pretty sure it was, but anyway it didn't seem so difficult. Only problem is that all traders disappeared from the area after that. I asked all in nice and polite way... while I kept shooting CDs. I even offered 2 mil for next 12 hours... no one took that one though and all left afterwards - their problem.

My only problem is that I liked it .... oops did I say that out loud.

where are the pirates? - Equinox - 11-24-2007

' Wrote:@ Equinox: Yeah ... take on a CT or maybe 2 CT's grouped together with Tizonas and Salamancas. Come talk to me with the pieces of your bomber in dry dock. And yes, they need to increase what is dropped from these guys.

It was a container transport, so it is possible but it does take about 20+ minutes and all your CD to do it. Im not trying to brag im just saying its possible, thats the only char i pirate in a fighter because it does take to long to kill them, thats why my Brotherhood char will more than likely pirate in his bomber or gunboat but even with this char ive pirated on my own in a titan against trans and CTs, like i said it takes a long time and a hell of allot of dodging.

where are the pirates? - Qunitinius~Verginix - 11-24-2007

If you are in Liberty or Brentonia, the Rogues of [Rogues]Raptor.1 will gladly pirate you.

Verg

where are the pirates? - Archelon - 11-24-2007

@ Mjolnir: Congrats on your first effort. You had a good day and I hope you have more like this one. They're not all good days. And now that we Nayehiya are moving back to Liberty and surrounding independent systems (ie: avoiding New Berlin at all costs) we no longer go to all areas of Sirius (ie: will miss about 90% of the traders who go into New Berlin). So ... next question ... are you a generic pirate or are you affiliated? Follow-up question ... why did you pirate a trader twice? Reason is, I pirate once in 24 hr period ... note this is part of the new rules established. Welcome new pirate.

@ Equinox: Cool ... did it have the standard Transport turrets or Tizonas and Salamancas? I've had run ins on my gunboat where the CT sporting Tizonas and Salamancas tore through my shields and actually took my hull to 50%. Also ... did you get anything from this encounter? If you walked away empty handed, what's the point? You got some carpel tunnel from that 20 min engagement with a trader.

where are the pirates? - Drake - 11-24-2007

Pirating a trader only once a day is a nice thing to do to, but on certain runs (like the major run from Rhineland to Kusari, through the Sigmas) 1mil per pass (or 1mil per round-trip) is quite fair (assuming there aren't other pirates on the same route, all asking for 1mil). Or, maybe the trader wants to pay 5mil for safety for the next 12 or 24 hours.

where are the pirates? - Unseelie - 11-24-2007

pirate each and every time you see a trader.
what, they already paid?
one mill?
they make at least 3 mill a run.
you should too.
you work harder.

where are the pirates? - Caribe - 11-24-2007

Makes me want to shove a 10mil credit card in my cargo so that I'm chased more.

where are the pirates? - bluntpencil2001 - 11-24-2007

' Wrote:Makes me want to shove a 10mil credit card in my cargo so that I'm chased more.

Then the pirates will kill you instead of demanding money... Or they will demand 12 million. I know I would.