Discovery Gaming Community
White Cells and Faction Permissions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: White Cells and Faction Permissions (/showthread.php?tid=61470)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Daedric - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:It wouldn't have fit her RP. She also travelled around Sirius, she was a mercenary, not a Corsair military pilot.

' Wrote:I wanted to cite an example.

Once upon a time, I had a mercenary. She was of Cretan descent, but something traumatic happened to her early in her life as a Corsair pilot. As such, she never fit into the military. She was too unstable, didn't take well to discipline, etc. As such, as she got older, she decided to fly as a mercenary.

Her family was always had a strong presence in Cretan politics. While her father was very protective, he was against this. Against his wishes, she did indeed leave. What did she fly in? A Sabre (which a neutral ID like the merc ID may fly)? No, obviously not. A civilian ship? No, those aren't built on Crete.

She flew a Praetorian, as dictated by her story, her character, and her RP. All this aside, she was fiercely loyal to her home. More often than not, she didn't run off taking in bounties. In fact, she never strayed far from home at all, and frequently worked with the military (in her RP, and in game) against threats to Crete. She never requested payment for defending her home, it was her home.

Now I don't cite this character's example so that someone can say how it's wrong, because if you believe so, that's your opinion. I put a great deal of effort and heart into her story, and it is not yours, nor anyone's right to judge it on that level.

Point is, with the current system and Corsair decree, even this would be out of the question. ONLY Corsairs are using Corsair tech, period. And if you don't like it, "Too bad.".

I have no desire to bring this character back, as I hardly played her even when I did have her active (too much PvP for my taste with her personality), I'm just citing it as an example.

You've contradicted yourself. Not to mention that having a Corsair ID doesn't make you part of the Corsair military. It merely means you are a Corsair. Be it a solider or a farmer.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - DarthBindo - 06-14-2011

There is no Corsair Military, only families and orphan/exile organizations.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Korimito - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:It wouldn't have fit her RP. She also travelled around Sirius, she was a mercenary, not a Corsair military pilot.
That's like saying no child should have the abilty to eat candy, because when they can't have it, they'll be sad. That's a bit depressing.

Basically you've just killed a part of unique RP within in the server.
If you knew the character, you'd understand why she doesn't work well with anyone. The merc ID is the only ID that would ever, ever fit her character and story.

Your view is flawed, because you don't fully understand the character. I'm sorry. Also, I'm not going to debate the validity of my past RP. That's off topic. This was just an example.
Alright, so say I worked really hard all my life (the hardest anyone's ever worked!) but I never struck it rich. Do you think my cute motivational story would help me if I asked Bill Gates to help with the down payment on my house? No. Would I be choked up? Probably. Would it be "iRP"? YES. Mean? PROBABLY. "Abuse"? NO.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - SnakThree - 06-14-2011

So you give example and then retract it. That's bullcrap.

You said she didn't do bounties. You said she is Corsair. You said she defended Crete from threats. Sounds like typical Corsair. If you have a story for that, which was long lasting and not like:

I am corsair. I want to become freelancer now. Let of fly my Titan.
//I haven't created this char yet.

Then you have a shot at it. You are a Corsair, thus you aren't forbidden from applying for technology.

Most of requests are lame. Not even characters are created since people tend do ask things first rather than work for it.

Please show us example of abused power as you said. You know that only grounded arguments counts. So please, enforce your opinion with evidence.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Primitive - 06-14-2011

Quote:If you knew the character, you'd understand why she doesn't work well with anyone. The merc ID is the only ID that would ever, ever fit her character and story.

Your view is flawed, because you don't fully understand the character. I'm sorry. Also, I'm not going to debate the validity of my past RP. That's off topic. This was just an example.

Feel free to link me on the PM, I'll make sure to read it and admit my mistake if I did so concerning this char's RP.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Hexx - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Hexx, you don't seem to be understanding what you're saying. You're advocating a powerful and player-driven iRP environment, yet you're neutering any iRP authority or power someone might be able to get. As player factions, these groups are essentially the head-honchos of their NPC counterparts. They call the shots and can act upon their influence if they so wish. The Corsairs, for the moment, have effectively closed their borders because of a completely iRP interior incident, which is something I would expect from most real world governments today. I'm sure the white cell lockdown won't last forever (though, if it did, I would have to agree that the action is abusive... ish) as no country closes their borders for long.
Not exactly. I'm only saying that complete lockdowns are abusive. Just because a group of players say that no one can have their stuff shouldn't mean that's all okey dokey. Some players have a god mode cheat? I've gotta find that code.

And if the lockdown is temporary, perhaps that's not too bad. However, as can be determined by what Zelot and Bindo have said, they don't seem to savvy to ever change things.

' Wrote:Just let it go for a while. Complain about it in a week, but not here; to an admin. The only thing that's happening here is mindless arguing. I'm not going to call it debate because I think that for an argument to qualify as a debate all sides have to be somewhat openminded, or at the very least open to listening to each other's points. As it stands right now it's Hexx against the world, everyone's arguments are old, reused, and stagnant, and no one's budging on their opinion. Pointless discussion that will soon enough decay into a flamewar.

EDIT... ish: Gah, your RP ninja'd me. Well, to quickly shoot that down, it doesn't matter. What you seem to have a hard time grasping is that a government may or may not give weapons to a citizen. It is their choice, completely, and it is entirely possible and realistic that, for a while after an internal incident, the government's weapons would be for their military/citizens only. It's iRP, just like pirating, and for someone to say "if you don't like it, too bad", is completely legitimate. You've gotten the RP reasoning (as well as plenty of ooRP in this thread) for the ban on weapons, yet you're still crying abuse. PM an admin, and stop.

EDIT 2: Good RP is fine and dandy. No one's dissing the quality of your story. Unfortunately it's not about how well written or acted or passionate your RP is; if a gov't doesn't want to give you tech because you're not a citizen then they have the right.
Meh, I know. Debate is a volatile thing on this forum. Always has been. But often after the flamewar, results have come into effect.

The problem is that a few players playing god over all other players isn't a good thing. My character was an indy. Her family was also influential, and after her traumatic experience, she was still forced into going down the military career path to prominence. A pile of exhausted councilors and pychiatrists later, she was still a pain in the ass.

Intent on getting out of there, sick of the constant pushing, she left. On the most readily available craft at her disposal: a training vessel from the academy. Was it technically hers? No, and while the academy wasn't happy about it, it wasn't the end of the world, and her family smoothed out the issues.

I don't care whether or not you like, or think that RP is perfect. It's not ooRP, and it's valid.

' Wrote:They aren't going to say, "Oh, we aren't giving Corsair tech to non Corsairs anymore. Period. Well maybe if you have a good reason." If they said that, everyone would claim they have a good reason.

Go role play with the Corsair factions. Build up a name for yourself among the Corsairs. Make yourself invaluable to them. Prove your worth. Perhaps once you've shown the Elders you would make a damn fine Corsair if it wasn't for your place of birth, they'll let you fly a Titan.

Do note when I say you in the above statement, I don't mean you as a player. I mean you as in your character.
This is you saying how you believe it is. Judging from Zelot and Bindo, though, it seems there is no leeway for exceptions.

' Wrote:I can make reasonable story for 15 different factions to grant me their toys. But my story doesn't have to appeal to them. That is the thing.

I can make perfect logical story about a lot of things, but month later we would have the most unique and bizarre galaxy that ever existed. Suddenly all the people meeting each other in space would be darn unique and special.
You're suggesting that such an obviously elaborate and drastic scenario would just be approved? Your example is stretching.

There's balance, and a limit, to everything.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101470

This is the kind of request faction leaders don't like. We (OSI) know nothing about this character. He has no relation to us. Yet, if I told this player to take a hike, there is a good chance he'd think I'm a dick because I told him no.

I merely said no (or in this case ignored his request) because my character has no reason in role play to give him the technology, much less even speak with him.

I am not violating my responsibility as a faction leader for ignoring his request either.

Quote:RESPONSIBILITY OF RIGHT NUMBER 6: To maintain rosters of use and provide fair judgement upon player requests for special employment of equipment.

That responsibility doesn't state I have reply to every request. It merely says I have to provide fair judgement.

I could probably talk to him and explain why I am ignoring/not approving his request and help him improve it, but I don't have the time to help everyone who makes these kinds of requests. Quite frankly if you can't conjure up the ability to provide sufficient role play to justify a request by yourself; you likely don't deserve the tech. Faction leaders aren't here to hold everyone's hands. Will I guide you if you talk to me? Yes, unless I am busy. Will I write your tech request for you? Nope.

' Wrote:This is you saying how you believe it is. Judging from Zelot and Bindo, though, it seems there is no leeway for exceptions.

Perhaps because you've no role play to support such an exception?

White Cells and Faction Permissions - SnakThree - 06-14-2011

Hexx, you really should stop ignoring posts that you seem to keep avoiding. Show us example of abuse.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Hexx - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:You've contradicted yourself. Not to mention that having a Corsair ID doesn't make you part of the Corsair military. It merely means you are a Corsair. Be it a solider or a farmer.
If I implied that she never left Gamma and it's sister systems, I did not explain myself correctly. The majority of her flight time was spent in 'Sair space, not all of it.

' Wrote:Feel free to link me on the PM, I'll make sure to read it and admit my mistake if I did so concerning this char's RP.
Unfortunately the forums got overhauled awhile ago and I lost a lot of my old material. She's around three years old, I'd imagine, and even then, I never wrote her story in full. I'm making a point not to maintain 20+ characters these days... >_>

And if my point is confused, I don't even agree with the current system as it stands. It's a license to be biased, in effect. In some cases it's a wonderfully maintained responsibility. In others, not so much.